Default Spider-Woman #7 (Spoilers)

No tags needed here spoil away.

I found this issue to be pretty emotionally raw. Jess is being pulled in so many different directions and it all comes to a head here. She said some really hurtful things to Carol. But Carol still wants to help bc she knows Jess isn't herself, and if it weren't for the Knull invasion, she would be better able to help. As it is, she can't and Jess has been effectively abandoned by her friends for the time being. Enter Octavia Vermis...

Also, this issue establishes exactly why Jess CAN'T bond with a symbiote and if it we're not for her current condition, I think she'd have been a major player in King in Black.

I really loved this issue.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-23-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

The issue felt a bit unstructured, it was also a weird reasoning for why carol can't use her powers... she can absorb energy from a wide variety of sources.
    Heck, she could've had Jess Zap her with energy and then come here instead of bringing jess in person.

Jess' remark at the end doesn't cut all that deep either. Carol hasn't been one to want kids that bad so as a fan of both it doesn't feel like it should hurt that much.

Also the whole Jess' mother clone thing is feeling a bit unstructured too. Ahh i hope this runs comes together bc it has good ideas of bringing back her association with High Evolutionary
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 12-23-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Yeah, Carol is career focused, she never had any interest in being a mother. Even when mentoring (Ultra Girl, Kamala), she's pretty hands off - likely because of what happened to Anya Corazon (Arana at the time, Spider-Girl now) when she was her sidekick (when Carol was still Ms. Marvel, around Civil War 1).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Setting the stage for a possible heel turn in the solicited summary for Spider-Woman #10, I presume. And yeah, that was a pretty hard issue to read, from an emotional standpoint.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Carol is career focused, she never had any interest in being a mother. Even when mentoring (Ultra Girl, Kamala), she's pretty hands off - likely because of what happened to Anya Corazon (Arana at the time, Spider-Girl now) when she was her sidekick (when Carol was still Ms. Marvel, around Civil War 1).
    I think Jess' comment to Carol has everything to do with what's happening over in Carol's book right now...and that this Spider-Woman arc takes place after that. Which means Carol could pot be very sensitive to the topic even if she still has the stance that she doesn't want kids.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I think Jess' comment to Carol has everything to do with what's happening over in Carol's book right now...and that this Spider-Woman arc takes place after that. Which means Carol could pot be very sensitive to the topic even if she still has the stance that she doesn't want kids.
    spoilers:
    Is that the one where she's in the future and sees that Rhodey has a daughter there named after her . . . but it doesn't look like she's the mother of said daughter, though that's just the tip of the iceberg, given what she uncovers later?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    spoilers:
    Is that the one where she's in the future and sees that Rhodey has a daughter there named after her . . . but it doesn't look like she's the mother of said daughter, though that's just the tip of the iceberg, given what she uncovers later?
    end of spoilers
    You would be correct.

You would be correct.
    Thanks. I've been following that one, too, mostly because I am a sucker for possible or alternate futures that focus on the next generation of heroes (and villains) in the Marvel Universe.

BANNED

Eh can someone ask the writer on twitter about this part:

The issue felt a bit unstructured, it was also a weird reasoning for why carol can't use her powers... she can absorb energy from a wide variety of sources.
    Heck, she could've had Jess Zap her with energy and then come here instead of bringing jess in person.
    Why'd she bring Jess into the field like that? Can't she just absorb her energy? Is Jess' energy tainted in a way carol can't absorb it and she has no other sources?

and also about the having children thing
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 12-24-2020 at 08:04 PM.

The having children thing is based on the current cm run.

BANNED

The having children thing is based on the current cm run.
    yeah someone ask her if its related to that
    people reading one run alone might not realize it, unless it's something general

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I’m wondering if Jessica’s remark was meant to be a jab at Carol pertaining to Avengers 200.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I’m wondering if Jessica’s remark was meant to be a jab at Carol pertaining to Avengers 200.
    see this is why we need clarification, it can go anywhere from the recent CM issue all the way to that
    hate feeling this kinda doubt

my interpretation of this issue can go anywhere from "carol tried her hardest but because of Knull they were spread extremely thin and she had no options but to ask jess of this and got burned because of the extreme situation" to "carol was negligent and incompetent about not considering her options fully and needlessly endangered her friend, leaving her after putting her in a bad situation". Now looking at the intent Carol is *supposed* to be the levelheaded one and Jess is *supposed* to be irrationally lashing out, but how do I read this?

My interpretation of Jess' comment can range from the recent CM issue Carol has had with the motherhood all the way to avengers 200.

This is why I hate conflicts in comics lately, they're not built up properly.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 12-24-2020 at 10:06 PM.