Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Loki Appreciation 2020

So I guess they are rebooting all the threads every year then. I am not going into a big spiel about Loki right now, if you're here, you know who he is and presumably like him. The pic above pretty much sums it all up.

Here's the old thread's last page: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...n-2019/page106

And I just read Thor #1. Honestly, it's still a bit unclear what Cates is going to be doing with Loki, but Thor definitely doesn't seem to like him much, though I think some of that is just due to Loki striking a nerve.

spoilers:
    So, after the pages we saw in the preview, Thor goes back to his new throne and tells everyone to leave, as he has to prepare some big speech for a bit later. So everyone goes, except Loki, who says something about Thor being nervous, that he always was when he had to do 'royal' stuff. Thor tells Loki to bow, Loki begrudgingly agrees, but clearly doesn't like it. He tells Loki to leave, and if he ever comes back to his realm unbidden he'll tell his ravens to pluck out his eyes. And then Thor picks up Mjolnir, and Loki says that looks like it's getting heavier, and that's when Thor snaps and chucks it at his head, to remind him that he still has the power of the All-Father. So that's a definite departure from Loki's solo book, where he and Thor were on very good terms. But the captions the next page says that Loki was right about both things, that Thor was nervous and Mjolnir was feeling heavier of late, and there was an ominous teaser that he would not like the reason why, when he found out. But just as he's about to deliver the speech, Galactus comes crashing out of the sky, and Thor goes to fight him, but then Galactus asks for his help against the mysterious 'Black Winter'. Cut to a week or so later, and Yggdrasil is rotting, and Thor has sought out a bunch of Galactus' previous Heralds and gathered them there, since they are of course the experts on all things Galactus. He wants them to tell him what the Black winter is (why Galactus, who is still hanging around Asgard, hasn't said, I dunno, maybe he was unable, he was badly injured) and Surfer says it is the end of all things, the entropy that consumes the universe between each cycle. He says Galactus is the only one who has seen it the last time it consumed the universe and lived, and that Galactus is the only one who can face it again, since he survived the last time. Additionally, he says he has scouted out a number of planets that will give Galactus immense power, enough to stop the Black Winter, which he has kept secret from him until now. The Heralds say they will guide him to the planets, and Thor says he wants to go along, along with a group of Asgardians (the ones in the panel released a couple days ago) But Galactus says no, he will not be led by his Heralds, that Thor must be the one who did it. Says that when he touched the Black Winter he saw his 'one true death' and that he saw Thor. so... he charges up Thor with the Power Cosmic, as he says that he did not come to Asgard by accident, that he chose to come there because of what he saw, that he and Thor will stop the Black Winter together, so that Thor will be close so that he can 'have words' with him afterward. The end.
    end of spoilers

So I think it is a promising start. Tho it appears the 'Black Winter' isn't actually, you know, wintery at all, more like a rot, so there goes that little bit of speculation about it powering a weapon like the Mother Storm (tho the Casket of Ancient Winters is still sitting around in the background for that). For the Loki stuff, as mentioned, not a whole lot was revealed here about how Loki himself will be written, there wasn't all that much to the meeting with him and Thor, and that said a lot more about Thor than it did Loki. Honestly, it seemed to me Loki, while he may have been pushing things a bit, seemed to be friendly, until Thor was all like 'bow' and he didn't like that, so he needled Thor cus of that, and things just soured quickly. But no hint was given about what part he'd play in the story after that meeting, so... *shrugs*

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I won't get my issue till later in the week. But I'm already left with questions that hopefully get answered over the next several issues, such as, well who will be on the Throne? If Thor is going off, what role will Loki play? And supposedly this was supposed to be a Thor that had created a new dynamic with Loki and Asgard as a whole, yet from his actions it sounds like he's just being Odin 2.0 with the "bow" and venting his anger at others and commanding. Just going off of what you described and I know it's just a first issue, but yeah, I'm curious as to how characterization will develop and the interaction dynamics. I miss Loki's series.

Raye, thanks for starting our thread and for posting a review of the issue!
    Last edited by Prof. Aegis; 01-01-2020 at 09:06 AM.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Happy New Year to the eternal God of Mischief, Stories, etc in all his forms .

You know, it didn't quite occur to me at the time, but Thor did come across quite Odinish. ******* Odin, I mean, since he has different portrayals. Tho I guess that is the case with Thor, too, where he was like nice and wise Odin in Loki's book, lol. I guess the difference is that with Odin, we never really got much of a look inside his head to explain why he behaved the way he did, he was just the way he was in any given story and we rolled with it. But with Thor we are getting that.

Still though, especially coming off of Loki's solo, where he was friendly and wanting to give Loki advice, (even if it came off as a bit clueless about where Loki was coming from, and it seemed like he didn't really believe Loki could change) this is a bit jarring, and it may point to what i didn't want from their relationship in this run, where its being kinda forced into being antagonists/foils for each other, which is a bit disappointing. Though unusually, it was Thor that was the biggest ******* here, rather than Loki. Sure, Loki gave him reason to be annoyed by not leaving when he told everyone to go, and then (probably intentionally) picked up on his insecurities and pointed them out, but I don't think it really called for threats of eyes being plucked out, being basically told he was not welcome in Asgard, and then having a hammer thrown at his head, even if Thor stopped it. Really it seemed to me that Loki thought he could just talk to his brother cus they are brothers, so figured he probably had some special privileges the others didn't to stay and speak his mind, and then was pissed that Thor apparently did not think so. Even if, yes, I get that the history there gives Thor reasons to not like him, but, again, his portrayal in Loki's book makes this seem to come out of nowhere, and if Loki's last interaction with Thor was the stuff in his solo, I could see why he'd think he could stay and talk.

Also, as mentioned I really am not sure how Loki will play into the rest of the arc. I presume he will, he had the largest non-Thor part in the book from the Asgardian side of things (I think Surfer and Galactus said more, but given the plot it is easy to see why) and I don't think they would have devoted several pages to him if he didn't have some part to play, but with Thor having sent him back to Jotunheim and making it clear he didn't want him in Asgard, it is not clear at all what his part will be. The interaction set him up to be an antagonist, but given his recent portrayals I don't think it makes sense for him to target Asgard while Thor is away or something, so I dunno.

Anyway, I hope Loki makes Thor bow to him if he goes to Jotunheim.

And we have Star coming next week (?) as well, so that's something else to look forward to.

I dont post here much but I lurk a lot being a Thor fan but still keep up with Loki some lol. One thing that is jarring is the turn of the relationship between Loki and Thor. They were on understandable terms coming out of WOTR and in Loki's book, but now Thor is suddenly an *******. Maybe he was like that from his nerves of having to give that big speech and was irritated with everyone and I remember Cates or someone saying he was having issues settling into being king.

One thing I noticed about Thor writers is that his personalities are at different ends of the spectrum when he's just warrior/avenger Thor and whenever he's King Thor. It's like that they try to make him into Odin whenever he's king, even down to his look. I know that's his father and he's learned from him blah blah blah but he can take the good and bad qualities and basically be himself as king not Odin 2.0.

I am waiting to see how their relationship as two kings will play out and hopefully either during or after this arc we get to see it.

I'm coming back in with a gap in my knowledge. I've read the new Cates Thor, but I'm missing some things, like the return of Yggdrasil and Mjolnir.

I've followed along without reading for a while, so I have the basics to understand what Twisted is saying about, and agree that Thor's being an ******* here. Then again, he's been dwelling with a huge power boost from becoming All-Father.

Fill me in?