Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karabaja View Post
    This is some kind of illusion or hallucination, and pre-heel turn Loki to that. Thor himself says "you're not my brother". Presuming he didn't mean to say he refuses to acknowledge Loki as his sibling any more, he is aware that what he's seeing isn't real. So I wouldn't worry
    Also I'm trying to hide the spoilers in this post but I obviously can't do it right #facepalm
    Here's how to do it (spoil)....(/spoil) but replace the () with [].

Oh. Thanks And I was typing "spoilER" and wondered why it won't work. #facepalm

Astonishing Member

This is some kind of illusion or hallucination, spoilers:
    and pre-heel turn Loki to that. Thor himself says "you're not my brother". Presuming he didn't mean to say he refuses to acknowledge Loki as his sibling any more, he is aware that what he's seeing isn't real.
    end of spoilers So I wouldn't worry
    Also I'm trying to hide the spoilers in this post but I obviously can't do it right #facepalm
    Edit: yay, did it, thanks
    spoilers:
    I like to think that he's quick to spot the illusion because that 's not his brother as he is "now", his character rather that the look. Not knowing for certain where the brothers stand with one another hasn't been fun, I mean Thor #1 started off on a bad note but I still hope that things between them are better, as opposed to same (estranged) or worse.

And while Old Loki is there with all the other villains, I would hate for them to "separate" Loki, have old and evil on one side and whatever this new version is from Thor's perspective. Yes the old was excessively evil but he's still a part of this new improved version. It reminds me of when Thor fought Loki and in AoA and he was angry over Kid Loki and said something along the lines of AoA Loki not being his real brother compared to Kid. They had drawn a very thick, deep line between Kid and AoA/Old so much as if Kid could have very well been a random person with Loki's young body. That never sat well with me. While this is an illusion and he recognizes it as such, it's like he acknowledges (new & improved) and rejects (old) & evil) Loki as his brother at the same time. I don't want the same delineation repeated with current Loki. While I may hate the old version of Loki and how evil he was, he's still the same guy that becomes the new and improved version I love. Loki is Loki is Loki, whether bad, innocent, good or grey.
    end of spoilers

dropping the spoiler tags, since we are just taking preview stuff here, anyone can go see it. And i think all of us have clearly read it.

I was glad to see Thor call him his brother, even after how he acted in issue 1, and yeah obviously this Loki doesn't look like Loki right now, it's old-school Loki. There's probably a reason for that. I also don't think Cates will pull a King Loki and separate them into two characters, I think we have had enough of that. And you're right, by saying this illusion isn't his brother, it does seem to be an acknowledgement that he thinks present Loki is.

as for Kid Loki, well, he sort of was a different character, since he lacked all the experiences that made Loki who he is today, he would have likely grown up to be a very different person if, Loki hadn't, you know... but yeah, I remember our discussion back when that happened when thor said he considered Kid Loki his real brother, and like, ouch. Brother he wished for, maybe, but....

Apparently the Loki Pops are selling out already, I put an email into a shop here so hopefully I can get one. Me being in Canada may work to my advantage there, fewer flippers.

On that note, I got curious and checked, and the ArtFX statue is also now sold out. So glad i pre-ordered that one, even tho the shipping ended up making it cost a bit extra rather than taking my chances on it showing on Amazon or in stores.

This is some kind of illusion or hallucination, spoilers:
    and pre-heel turn Loki to that. Thor himself says "you're not my brother". Presuming he didn't mean to say he refuses to acknowledge Loki as his sibling any more, he is aware that what he's seeing isn't real.
    end of spoilers So I wouldn't worry
    Edit: yay, did it, thanks
    and yes, it's an illusion, but it was established early on that it shows anyone who sees it their 'true death' so that could be taken to mean this is a look into the future... But that doesn't quite make sense, given how many of these characters are dead, or, in Loki's case, dramatically changed. I mean Surtur, Malekith, Gorr, Mangog was tossed into the sun, though honestly he may be able to survive that, but still. That's like half of them. I mean I know death is a revolving door in comics, but still.

I notice Hela is missing, though, which strikes me as odd. I wonder if this might be related to Cates' GotG run, where Hela was a bad guy. (and Beta Ray Bill was also a member of the team) Last we saw her, Hela was getting sucked into a black hole after trying to resurrect Thanos (and mostly failing) so I'd imagine Cates had something planned there. Tho she was mentioned in the Valkyrie solicit, but it seemed more focused on Karnilla, so Hela may still be missing. And the Valkyrie issue may no longer happen, anyway. Also of note is that I remember Hela saying something about 'true death' there... hang on... yeah, here, as she threatens Annihilus:

I'm just saying... Hela can both see and stop someone's 'final death'? could definitely be relevant here.

Like i said before, Cates loves putting links between the books he writes. They aren't usually necessary to follow a particular book, but they can provide hints.
    Last edited by Raye; 06-23-2020 at 03:14 AM.

real Loki was in a single, solitary panel in today's Thor:

Guessing he's trying to figure out what to do about the whole hammer situation.

Fake Loki didn't have anythig to do really after the pages shown in the preview, and the whole scene, it turned out, was....

spoilers:
    A total fakeout anyway! It was the Black Winter going like 'this is what your true death COULD have been.... but something is fucking with fate' and uh oh, I hope this isn't Loki's doing, with Now and Then changing his fate. BIG whoops, if so. Like it would be nice in a way, that they're continuing that thread, but if it is, it also means this kinda has to be fixed, because another reveal was that I TOTALLY CALLED IT with Thor going dark. His new fate is to be the end of all things. "Thor the All-Butcher, the End-God' so that's not good! Anyway, yeah, still more similarities with Loki's solo, it really does seem like Cates and Kibblesmith just basically hit on the exact same story idea, more or less. Mess with fate, Thor goes bad, Loki becomes the hero. Except here, Thor is the protagonist, so if they fix fate, Loki is less likely to get a good result out of things. It also specifically mentioned King Thor, and how that used to be his 'true death' but it was changed, so I remember commenting on how the physical changes in Thor rendered that story impossible, and it turns out that was completely intentional. In that case, I take back what I said about undoing the physical changes from Aaron's run being a mistake. Clearly there is more at work there than just aesthetics, or reverting Thor's progress.

But, the fact that the Black winter's 'could have been' was a bunch of classic bad guys kind of implies that the original fate was to just repeat things over and over, and I can't really see Cates or most other writers seriously advocating that as a good thing. So I think he answer here is not to revert things back to the old status quo, but a new better one, or just break fate entirely. In which case Loki could still come out of things ok. If it was to revert things back the way they were, then that would likely be accompanied by him being the bad guy again, so I am hoping for a new fate or breaking fate.

Also, not related at all to Thor or Loki, but interesting, turns out that Galactus himself was a herald of the Black Winter, that he had lied about it coming to devour the universe. Seems to be that the Black Winter is a devouerer of universes, the same way Galactus devours worlds, but the Black Winter says it hasn't come for this universe yet, it's just here to retrieve it's herald, and that there is more darkness in store for this universe and Thor before the universe's end. This makes me wonder about the World Tree, we assumed it was dying because of the Black Winter, but now it seems that it might be dying.... because of the darkness growing in Thor.

*edit - oh yeah: and since Galactus lied, and it turns out the universe WASN'T doomed, then Thor leading Galactus to destroy 5 planets was basically FOR NOTHING. This is the problem with the ends justify the means approach. If you are mistaken about your assessment of the situation, then your bad acts done to accomplish a greater good can just become.... bad acts, and nothing more. But yeah when this is all over I am sure Thor will be feeling preeeeeeetty shitty about this. He did tremendous harm, and possibly for no good tradeoff in the end, even though his intentions were good. I think Loki figured this out, finally, during War of the Realms when all his plotting amounted to not much. Some of his 'bad things towards a good end' machinations worked out ok, like the Sorcerer Supreme thing, but some others.... not so much. And I think this may be in part why he came out of Laufey worthy, after learning this lesson. I mean sometimes there is no other choice, just saying, you have to be very careful when employing those tactics.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Raye; 06-24-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think Loki as the all out villain at the end of all things is over done and boring. Now Thor being that is new but obviously as the protagonist that simply wont do. It won't be much of an interesting story to go back to the over played status quo from years ago, so I'm thinking Cates may be writing a somewhat happy middle. Try and fix Thor's ending without doing away with Loki's new status. The story will remain largely Thor's but he can write Loki mysteriously plotting and scheming, just not for villainy's sake but rather as a means to keep both brothers on the same side at the end of things (even if they never see eye to eye), a new fate. Yes it seems Cates and Kibblesmith had similar ideas but playing them out and eventually resolving them would have clashed, so the lesser of the two (Loki) had to go.

Yeah, like i said, as much as certain fans may want a return to whatever their favorite era was, I really can't see most writers just wanting to repeat an old status quo, but especially Cates. He's definitely got some nostalgic elements to his work, particularly when it comes to the 90s, but not usually in a way that is about trying to repeat what came before, more using it as a springboard to go in a new direction.

I can see a few scenarios to resolve this conundrum, but basically I think it will probably boil down to either restoring the old status quo, or creating a new one, based on the themes established early on, and the cast of classic baddies in this vision and such. It might be that it turns out the only way to make Thor, you know, not evil, would be to put things back to an old status quo by restoring the old fate, and Loki's role could be reset as a consequence. Thor, given how he was behaving earlier in the arc and all, might welcome this, he seems to miss his old life. Loki, on the other hand, would NOT want this, he's tried too hard to escape his old role to just go back to it now, but it might be that he's forced to do this for everyone's sake, and Thor in particular. I would not like this, but i could see it as a possibility. But on the other hand, I think it would be much more satisfying for them to find some other way to un-evil Thor, and for Thor to learn to find happiness in his new role and move forward rather than pining over his old life, it would be especially nice if he decided he should do this in order to prevent Loki from having to be the bad guy again. But either way, we might have a situation where if one brother gets what he wants, the other doesn't, and one of them may have to sacrifice their happiness to an extent in order to give the other the life they want.

Okay, so i had a lot of trouble getting that mystery box locally, called every shop around here and none of them were getting it in, and Entertainment Earth sold out within hours. but I found a place that still has them in stock for online purchase: https://vaultqueen.com/products/marv...iews-exclusive

If you are outside the US shipping is ATROCIOUS, though. Luckily I had a friend in the US who is sending me a package with some stuff anyway (he posts in the thread occasionally, fantom.ex, formerly A Silver Quickly) to order me one, paying him 50 bucks USD (for the box, plus something for himself to get him over the free shipping threshold) is a lot better than spending 80.

So, Loki was not in the final issue of Star which is a bit disappointing and also confusing to me. What was the purpose of that scene in the first issue if he wasn't going to come back? so odd. Maybe it was setup for that Infinity Stone thing that was coming later, or maybe he had a larger part planned but it was cut, or... i dunno.

But he still might be in Strange Academy next week. I think it's probably a slim chance, to be fair, from what I've seen next issue will be mostly establishing the setting some more, and exploring how the kids deal with the new school... but you never know, Loki may come to visit Zelma or something. If not that, then i guess the next likely place would be Thor, in August.

Looks like that mystery box is now sold out at Vault Queen, so I hope people here got them if they needed them. I cancelled my order and put a size small back in the pool there, after a local shop called me back and told me they would get one in and hold it for me, which will be cheaper and easier than getting it from the States, but looks like someone snapped it up already. But one shop in the whole city getting them in, crazy. And it's a fairly small one too, compared to a couple of the others I tried, but they are being very helpful, so that's good, even if it's clear on the other side of the city.

Also, updated the playlist, this one seemed fitting for Thor:

The lyrics kinda fit eerily well https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Am...eath-of-a-King

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Read the final issue of Star and I'm disappointed as well that Loki wasn't in it. Things with the first issue seemed to point toward him playing a bigger part than just a one issue appearance. Plus Black Swan's behavior and actions seemed out of character and more in line with Loki posing as Swan. So yeah, it was a little weird.

Along these lines, I was pondering how Loki seems to project a bigger persona than is sometimes carried out in other storylines. Because of his abilities and connections to other aspects of the MU, writers seem to bring him in for a story point, but disregard his broader potential in stories and use other characters for additional story points that Loki could easily fulfill as be better at doing. I think it speaks to the depth of the character, which is great, but kind of sucks when it doesn't play out.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Yeah it was super weird, especially with his ' i should probably tell someone' line which really did imply he was going to go get someone to help with the situation, so i don't think us thinking he'd probably come back later in the story was unreasonable. I hope it was setting something else up in the future, but honestly, it probably isn't. I mean it was still an interesting story, and for the one issue he was in it, I think Kelly Thompson handled him pretty well, so I'm gonna add her to my li'l list of writers who i think could work for another go at an ongoing solo. (granted, my list of who i wouldn't want is a lot shorter than the list of people who i think could work, i'm pretty open unless they've previously done something with Loki that i didn't like)

But yeah, I don't think he was used to his potential, for sure. Like, I think Loki filling the place of Wanda in this story would have worked just as well, or at least maybe have him work with her. I know she and Carol are not his biggest fans, but they probably would have made an exception if it meant reaching Star. And having him there could have probably offered a better contrast to Star turning heel in the end, made it hit a bit harder. both because Loki being there shows that she didn't have to make that choice, especially with him maybe going like 'trust me you don't want this' kinda thing, but also, it would show that her turning heel now doesn't mean she can't be reached later, if Loki managed it after so long as a bad guy. You kinda get that with Wanda to a point, but her time with the Brotherhood was very brief, and a long time ago, and the 'no more mutants' thing was, well she wasn't in her right mind, it wasn't really the same thing as what happened with Star, that's more analogous to what Loki went through.

anyway, looks like no preview yet for Strange Academy, so... guess we'll find out on Wednesday. though, i still thought that was a fun book even without Loki potentially appearing and i would be reading it anyway, probably, but the possibility of him showing up there again does add a bit of additional appeal, especially since his appearances recently have been kinda sparse.

More merch with the recent costume! (well, sort of. inspired by, at least. his gloves are yellow for some reason, and the boots are wrong, but...) https://www.marvel.com/marvelmade

Pricey tho. like 200 dollars for all the pins, or 30 dollars for two, but it's random, no guarantee of getting Loki (and Thor is one of the set exclusives.) and only available to residents of the US

Also, if you are unable to get the Mystery Box locally, you can try here: https://www.popinabox.us/merch-figur.../12520923.html

*edit, friend of mine in the US wanted the Hulk pin, and a couple others like Cap, so we decided to go in together on a box, I'll get Loki, Thor, Wolverine, Spidey, and Ms Marvel for my niece, he'll have pick of the rest, the notebook, and flip the rest of the pins and the comic on eBay. Hefty initial investment but I think we can make it worthwhile by selling some of them.

OH! yeah, and Loki was not in Strange Academy this week... however, there was some revelations that something is up with the magic cost being waived for the students, it reminded me that Loki had offered to absorb the magic costs for other sorcerers during Cates' run. I am wondering if it may be connected, though I think it may be something a bit darker than Loki, since Zelma seemed to not like the situation, but it still may be connected.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Spectacular Member

I think Loki got most of his recognition from the marvel movies thanks to tom hiddleston portrayal. Now most people are fans of loki because of that. But I ain't complaining though, I love Loki in the MCU!

Yeah, I don't doubt that most of his fans right now are fans of the movie version, and I do like him in the movies. But my favorite version of him is in the comics the past 10 years or so, so I am happy they are doing some merch with that version of the character, after so long of everything being movie related for so long.

On that note! I got my Mystery Box today! I appear to have gotten the medium (25%) rarity, so not bad, could have done better but could have also done worse. I mean, not that I actually care that much about rarity but after the hassle of getting the thing, at least I got one of the semi rare ones. He's very cute.

here is my cat showing off the box contents

the Pop. mine has some kinda wonky paint around the collar, may be able to fix, we'll see.

and me in the shirt

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    More merch with the recent costume! (well, sort of. inspired by, at least. his gloves are yellow for some reason, and the boots are wrong, but...) https://www.marvel.com/marvelmade

Pricey tho. like 200 dollars for all the pins, or 30 dollars for two, but it's random, no guarantee of getting Loki (and Thor is one of the set exclusives.) and only available to residents of the US

Also, if you are unable to get the Mystery Box locally, you can try here: https://www.popinabox.us/merch-figur.../12520923.html

*edit, friend of mine in the US wanted the Hulk pin, and a couple others like Cap, so we decided to go in together on a box, I'll get Loki, Thor, Wolverine, Spidey, and Ms Marvel for my niece, he'll have pick of the rest, the notebook, and flip the rest of the pins and the comic on eBay. Hefty initial investment but I think we can make it worthwhile by selling some of them.

OH! yeah, and Loki was not in Strange Academy this week... however, there was some revelations that something is up with the magic cost being waived for the students, it reminded me that Loki had offered to absorb the magic costs for other sorcerers during Cates' run. I am wondering if it may be connected, though I think it may be something a bit darker than Loki, since Zelma seemed to not like the situation, but it still may be connected.
    Yeah, I saw the pricing for those and as I just want Loki, I'm going to keep my eyes open on eBay to see the cost and see if I can hit a good price. Good job on splitting the cost and pin collection.

I read Strange Academy as well, and thought the same thing about the price of magic and Loki's involvement in Dr. Strange and wonder if there is some connection. Yeah, Zelma's reaction later seemed to indicate there is more going on, and I'm sure it'll come back to them in the worst way later.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin