Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Yeah, I don't doubt that most of his fans right now are fans of the movie version, and I do like him in the movies. But my favorite version of him is in the comics the past 10 years or so, so I am happy they are doing some merch with that version of the character, after so long of everything being movie related for so long.

On that note! I got my Mystery Box today! I appear to have gotten the medium (25%) rarity, so not bad, could have done better but could have also done worse. I mean, not that I actually care that much about rarity but after the hassle of getting the thing, at least I got one of the semi rare ones. He's very cute.

here is my cat showing off the box contents

the Pop. mine has some kinda wonky paint around the collar, may be able to fix, we'll see.

and me in the shirt
    Raye, great shirt! I should be getting mine in the next day or so. I didn't realize there were levels of rarity with them. I just knew there were 3 options and they were random as to what we would get. The Loki Pop looks great and I'm glad to have one with the more Agent of Asgard and recent Loki series look. I've been wanting one with that look for a while.

Great shirt too!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, apparently each cover and shirt has different rarities, one that's 65% of the boxes, one that's 25% and one that's 10%.

I don't know for sure if the comics and shirts share the same rarity in a box, but I suspect they do, because when they got the boxes in, they told me they had 2 boxes with a size small, which is what I requested, box B and box C, I didn't know which was which, since you know mystery box, so chose C at random. So if you get the chance to choose a box, know that the white and green shirt and no logo is in box C, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Yeah, I saw the pricing for those and as I just want Loki, I'm going to keep my eyes open on eBay to see the cost and see if I can hit a good price. Good job on splitting the cost and pin collection.

I read Strange Academy as well, and thought the same thing about the price of magic and Loki's involvement in Dr. Strange and wonder if there is some connection. Yeah, Zelma's reaction later seemed to indicate there is more going on, and I'm sure it'll come back to them in the worst way later.
    It's definitely a weird situation. We do know that other people/beings can absorb the cost, we saw that with Mr Misery, the people in Tibet, and most recently with Sentry, and Loki offered to do it. So it's likely that's what's going on here. It might be Loki taking on the cost of the students, it does kinda fit with what he said during Cates' run, which Skottie Young seems to be drawing from somewhat, and maybe he would have done that to get Gus in the school.... But that doesn't really make sense when you think about it. Loki doesn't have any particular connection with Gus besides being his new king, so it seems weird he'd go to such great lengths to just let him attend. And it's not like he particularly needs Gus to act as an excuse for him to visit Earth, he can and does visit Midgard constantly anyway. Maybe to get back with Zelma in particular, but you'd think he wouldn't have to go to such great lengths for that, I think a phone call or text would do the trick there. Plus I think Zelma would have vouched for Loki, making bribery to get Gus in unnecessary. Especially given Doyle's presence. I think, as Loki himself pointed out, the son of Dormammu is a far bigger risk than a random frost giant (who seems like a sweetheart, anyway) sent by Loki, who Zelma has worked with and knows is trying to be better, despite tricking his way into the sorcerer Supreme position. So if they let Doyle in, why would Loki have to bribe them to get Gus in there? So that kinda falls apart for a motivation as far as Loki is concerned... BUT may still work for Doyle and Dormammu... But then you have to wonder again, why would Dormammu be so invested in seeing his son to go to some magic school on Earth? Why would the school trust him with that, when Loki was offering the same thing? Or it might be something/one else entirely, but I dunno, Doyle/Dormammu seems like it has potential.

And yeah, I think the pins will work out well, assuming we can move some of them on eBay, but then I have to face the conundrum of how to fit the new ones on my purse.... it's pretty much out of room! (I don't want the pins with raised backs on the front pocket so they don't catch on stuff inside or scratch up my hand) and I am sure someone else out there will be flipping Loki pins on eBay.

Raye, I just picked my Mystery Box up from my comic shop and it was the same as yours! Knowing it was 25% variant, I didn't expect to see that. When I did put my order in at my shop originally, they indicated it was on backorder and didn't know if they would get one in, so I ordered one through Vault Comics as well (to make sure I got at least one), since you posted the link to it. I'm going to wait now to see what I get from Vault in a few weeks to determine which one I'll keep (assuming it'll be one of the other two options) and then put the other up on eBay. The Pop Loki looks great though. Wish the green in his outfit was a bit darker, but that's just my preference.

As for Strange Academy, I agree with you, it doesn't seem enough for Loki to be the main reason for the cost of magic to be held back. Yeah there's enough other reasons and aspects for Loki to have Gus at the academy without issues or problems, definitely having Dormammu's son there is a big one on its own. Plus the way Zelma made mention of the cost of magic issue, seemed something more than just Loki. It had this air of being a higher price paid or issue to be reckoned with in the future. I can still see Loki being attached to it and even it connecting to his time as Sorcerer Supreme, but still feel it's something more. I have a feeling the reason will forthcoming over this next year of issues.

Oh you may need to re-work your pin placement or perhaps take some off...(the horror!). Lol. Definitely are running out of room for sure. And I'm sure too that the Loki pin will be up on eBay. I'll keep my eye open for potential opportunities as it gets closer to their release.

hah, shirt buddies! and I am glad i got the 'virgin' comic, if Donny Cates or Nic Klein come back to Calgary at some point it will be something i can get them to sign, and with no log and stuff, it's very good for signing. As a digital reader, it's sometimes a problem to scrounge up something for a creator to sign if i go to conventions. And Donny has been to the Calgary convention before, i met him here back around when he was writing Dr Strange, so he might be back in the future, once a vaccine is found and all and they start holding it in person again. (it was cancelled and they went online for some virtual panels and stuff) And though i think i like the design of the more stylized black tee a bit more, i have a tooooon of black shirts already, so might be nice to have a white one, and I do like the playing card design. I also like the box it came in, it's cute, not sure what to use it for right now tho. I've kept boxes from loot crates before, you can see one in the background of my purse pic there, form a Fallout box, that was made to look like a Nuka Cola vending machine.

with Strange Academy, I kinda hope Zelma goes to Loki for help with whatever this situation ends up being, assuming he isn't the one who is absorbing the costs. Wanda and the rest don't seem overly concerned, so who else will she be able to go to? She's come a long way in a short time in terms of her own magic, but she could still probably use some help, and she both knows Loki, and knows he's pretty powerful, and with Gus there he has more reason to want to help (though I think he'd help just for Zelma too, but Gus did bring him into the situation somewhat). Maybe that is why Loki isn't part of the teaching staff, so he's not in on it. But we're maybe meant to suspect he is.

Yup! Shirt buddies! Lol. Oh yeah, I can see how this cover (virgin) would be great for signings. So much clear area on the top. Hopefully when things finally calm down, and they will in time, the cons will kick back in and getting Cates or Klein or both to sign will be great! Yeah, I liked the style of the black tees as well. I like the playing card look of the white tee, but black looks better on me. The box has a great look and design.

Seeing Zelma contact Loki for assistance would be great since she knows of what he did before and that could add a great connection to the academy and their use of magic. And since Gus is there, he knows Zelma and is quite adept in magic he would make the perfect choice in that situation. Yeah, maybe that is why he isn't on the teaching staff. I like how this series has started so far.

Yeah, it's a fun series, and it debuted really well and seems to be selling out, I tried to get the first two issues for my niece, because i switched her subscription over to Strange Academy to replace Valkyrie (before it got un-cancelled... but it may still be cancelled, just now will hit print as well first.) but missed the first 2 issues. I tried 2 stores, first the one i got the box at, cus i was there, but they only had #2, and I got the second to last copy on the shelf, but they had sold out of #1. So stopped at another shop on the way back home, and they had sold out of both issues, and they are the largest shop in the city. But Skottie Young tweeted earlier today that both issues will get a second printing so i will be able to get #1 sometime, hopefully before my niece receives the third issue in the mail. Anyway, I just say that to say that it probably won't be cancelled after 6 issues, so we ought to have time to have this mystery unfold and resolve properly.

I do think Loki will likely be involved, the interaction with Zelma seemed a bit more weighty than it needed to be if he wasn't going to come back, despite his absence on the teaching staff, and he has an existing connection with Zelma and of course will probably want to check in on Gus, and I'd imagine we will get glimpses of all the students homes at some point, I would think. Just, with what's going on in Thor, with the hammer and all, I'm hoping he gets to be kinda unambiguously a good guy for once here.

Just figured i would bump the thread with the October solicits, even tho Loki was not mentioned in them: https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-co...ns-and-covers/

but, though Loki was not mentioned specifically, the Thor solicit may mean something kinda disappointing for the hammer lift in issue 4, where it says basically that anyone at all can lift it, the worthiness enchantment is apparently broken. So that's disappointing, if it was broken at the time that Loki lifted it, and that scene was more to show that the hammer was busted than anything about Loki. Though, the enchantment clearly isn't gone entirely, at least not yet, if Thor himself is finding the hammer heavier, so... guess we just need to keep reading to find out what's up there. At least we know Loki isn't the one who broke it.

I was able to get the first issue of Strange Academy, but missed the second issue. Glad to know they'll be doing 2nd prints of them. I agree, I think this series will get a nice little run at the least. And there is enough connection with Loki to be involved in the coming story and it would seem to be a great fit story wise, based on his time as Sorcerer Supreme and interaction with Strange and Zelma, not to mention of course with Gus being in the academy.

Disappointed there is no Loki in October, but definitely not surprised. As for Thor issue for October, I read that as well. I'm curious as to the overall meaning behind it. Yeah, if anyone can lift it, then it doesn't have any bearing on Loki being "worthy", but I do wonder what its capabilities are or will it depend on who the wielder is? Curious to see how the story unfolds.

I somehow expected the hammer to be malfunctioning, it seemed to me that Cates was hinting at that in #1. Pity, but again, I'm more curious about Loki's actions when he puts the pieces together (which he probably did the moment he lifted it); he can either try to take the advantage of Thor over this, or he can side with him. I love that cover, by the way. Thor looks so done with the whole thing.

I mean, there were basically 2 options, hammer was busted, or Loki had bettered himself to the point where he was worthy. Though unlikely I was hoping for the latter, cus it fit the whole roles thing and I just want Loki do do well.

But maybe 'broken' is the wrong word, maybe it has to do with the roles thing as well. Maybe as king of Asgard, it's Thor's job to decide what 'worthy' should mean, and since he has not decided that yet, then it's just up in the air right now?

That would actually be very logical. isn't this the issue in which Catrs said Loki/Thor dynamics will be investigated?

yeah, he said Loki would be playing a big part from issues 7 or so onward, looking back in the thread, based on assorted interviews and comments he had made, i broke it down as: 7-9 dealing with Loki, 7-8 with Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, and maybe new weapons being made, and the worthiness question, and 8-9 onward with the new status quo, as well as some Elder God stuff.

So that does seem to match the recent solicits, so far. Loki may not have been mentioned in the solicits, but based on what Cates said, he will be in issues 7 thru 9 at minimum, so he is still probably involved in the hammer situation, and the whole roles thing.

Maybe not really Loki related specifically, but... Went looking for a preview of next issue, didn't find one, found this instead (spoilers) :

Now the spoilers are not as massive as he lets on, I don't think, but still, putting the rest under spoiler tags.

spoilers:
    So TLDR, it has a double page spread of what I can only assume to be a 'bad future that must be stopped' that shows Thanos leading a zombie army while holding Mjolnir with 5 of the Infinity gems embedded in it, and the 6th gem in what appears to be Knull's gauntlet. But this guy is hyping it up too much, and is bad at speculation. I do not believe any of this will ever actually happen, at least not any time remotely soon, i mean Thanos is still dead last i checked, and the Infinity Stones are still embedded in assorted people, so quite a few hoops need to be jumped through to get here, which makes me doubt it will come to pass, this was just what the Black Winter showed Thor IF events continued on their current course. (though, given the zombie army, that may point to Hela's involvement and she was the one trying to resurrect Thanos the last time so... we may see the beginnings of this happening, with Hela setting things in motion) So I don't see it as a huge spoiler, really.

What I think this does show though, is that i may have been on the right track a couple posts up. I think this shows that if Mjolnir can be picked up by just anyone, (except Thor himself) a big bad like Thanos could potentially use the hammer to unleash horrors. Prevent someone like Thanos from lifting it, and you prevent this from happening. And with it becoming heavier for Thor but apparently open season for everyone else, not to mention the other themes in the story of Thor not wanting to let go of his old role, it does seem to point to Thor needing to overtly give the hammer, and the role, to someone else, and that could come with a new 'worthiness' enchantment to prevent it from falling in the wrong hands. It's a little strange though, because the role predates the hammer. Before Thor, each role holder had their own weapon. Gram was the weapon associated with the role with Sigurd, for instance, possibly another weapons and role holders in between those. But Mjolnir is more destructive in the wrong hands than Gram, and so it may be more important to keep it associated with the role. But we can see that with Gram, it was locked away for centuries while Thor did his thing, and then Thor destroyed it, so it was taken off the table and not in use after thor stepped into the role, except for that brief window of time when Loki had it. So, there is another alternative, one which Thor will hate, but.... destroying or locking away Mjolnir would accomplish the same thing. You could do this while making a new weapon from the remains, or just straight up destroy it completely, or lock it away for centuries like happened with Gram. But on the one hand, I have doubts Marvel would allow this without an out down the line (as happened when it was destroyed during Aaron's run, he had a plan to bring it back) because it could prevent Thor from ever returning to the role, it might seem too final... on the other hand, that may be precisely why they might take that route rather than handing the hammer to someone else. Given recent events in Avengers giving us another glimpse of what can happen when the hammer falls into the wrong hands, it may be decided that wrapping the role holder's power up into an object that could potentially be stolen is too risky, so Mjolnir has to go. And, of course, I am still hoping that with or without Mjolnir, Loki is that new role holder.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Raye; 08-14-2020 at 04:55 PM.

spoilers:
    You made a couple leaps there, but I think they're decent leaps. I mean, assuming that the other two sides of mjolnir (or its lookalike?) have Infinity Gems seems reasonable, and the design of the Knull glove is so distinctive that I would be really surprised if that wasn't what it was. Plus...Donny Cates puts Knull in everything.

And I agree that this is almost definitely a premonition / Ghost of Christmas Future kind of scenario, for the reasons you mention. But what I'm interested in is what powerups aren't explicit here. We know that Thanos has three powerups here (gems, glove, hammer) but he also seems to be leading a zombie army. With Knull's status as god of the void and Thanos's history with Death and death, I wonder if there are some serious deathy shenanigans going on, as well
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    yeah, like i said, it may be that Hela plays in here. I know Thanos is historically more often associated with the more cosmic personification of Death... BUT, this is a) a Thor book, so Hela may be more likely in this context to explain both Thanos' resurrection and the zombie army, and b) in Guardians of the Galaxy, Donny Cates already wrote a story of Hela trying to resurrect Thanos. She failed, she was stopped at the last second before being punted into a black hole along with Thanos' body, but still, it may play in here. But I very much doubt it will get beyond the initial stages, to have Thanos actually getting all the Infinity Gems, AND Mjolnir AND Knull's gauntlet. I'm sure Cates was just like 'what's like, the worst thing that could happen with Mjolnir?' regardless of how likely it is in terms of actually coming to fruition in the books, and here we are. It was basically a choice between Thanos and Mephisto, and Cates likes Thanos more. And yeah, Thanos has several powerups here, but it may be that it's a domino effect where attaining one thing leads to the next etc. and Mjolnir may be the first domino, since it is so easy to achieve right now. (provided Thanos can be resurrected, anyway) So by stopping him from getting Mjolnir, either by placing a new enchantment on it which renders Thanos unable to lift it, or destroying it, or locking it away somewhere, it may prevent him from attaining the other things, or at least make it so Thor and i presume the new role holder can stand in his way effectively. But like i said, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get here. Mjolnir is easy judging by the solicit of issue 8, Thor's just leaving the thing laying around for anyone to pick up. But Thanos first needs to be resurrected, or have his mind fixed, anyway. It's complicated, he's kinda alive but as a mindless husk, and as mentioned, punted through a black hole. So this is a big hurdle, given that the means by which his resurrection was attempted last time (his brother Eros) is no longer an option. But it is also a potential motivator for Thor, if he sees this future, and then Thanos comes along. So i think we may see Thanos being resurrected by Hela, continuing that GotG plot thread, and that may provide the zombie army. But he's still then got to get the other things. And the Infinity Stones in particular will be tricky, given how they are all attached to people right now. But i do remember that there is that Infinite Destinies thing coming out soonish and the Avengers tie-in had it's stone's wielder hidden while the others were not. so.... But i think this will be less about stopping him after he gets this massive power up as it will be about preventing that power up from happening in the first place, it just makes more thematic sense, given how it's dealing with Thor's reluctance to give up his old role, and him actually letting go of his old role and passing it on to someone else could be the very thing that stops this bad future from happening, because it renders Thanos attaining Mjolnir impossible.
    end of spoilers

Okay taking this out of spoilers cus we have kinda discussed this before. But on the subject of Thor's successor in his old role, I am still hoping for Loki, and I think it would make the most sense from a thematic point. I know Bill is there now, and his hammer is busted, so may seem like an obvious choice because he is lacking a hammer now, and lifted Thor's hammer previously, but I am hoping he is a red herring. Because first of all, as discussed previously, Bill is not really associated with Earth very much, he's more cosmic, so it doesn't make that much sense to make him the hero of Asgard/Earth, even if he was worthy of Thor's hammer before. But kinda more importantly, what does it really say, if Thor has to set new rules for worthiness, but ends up just making them essentially identical to what came before, so that Bill can fill the role? Those worthiness rules were set down a thousand years ago, maybe longer, shouldn't it be that a hero for today would not be defined by ideals set down in the middle ages? shouldn't things actually progress with the times? And I think some aspects of Loki, not the things that made him a villain in the past, but some things he was looked down on in the past because of, like his more fluid sense of gender an sexuality, the fact that he's more about wits than brawn, etc. could be more reflective of what is needed in a hero for today. (provided he remains on his best behaviour and does not fall back into bad old habits) so I am hoping Bill is here to in the end be unworthy of the new rules of worthiness, because he lives by the old ones. He's still a good guy just.... maybe not the kind of hero needed in today's world. Now, Bill may still get Mjolnir to replace Stormbreaker, (I would hope with a copy of the old enchantment to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands) just not the role. As previously noted, the hammer was not associated with the role until Thor, so it stands to reason that the new role holder will have their own distinct weapon just like Thor did, and Sigurd before him etc.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-15-2020 at 10:35 PM.