Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Well, Cates said "hell yeah" when asked if he's going to use Loki, so I think we won't wait long. I just hope it will be good.
    Star issue is tomorrow, right? I wonder how that plays out.

Yeah, Star is tomorrow. there was a preview, but Loki was not in it, was just setup with Star trying to stay low, since she's on the run because she escaped from the Raft, and going to the Bar With No Name, and then Titania showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Karabaja View Post
    I feel like many Thor fans were unhappy about Aaron's portrayal of him and saw him as being turned into an insecure loser, so now Cates is trying to do the opposite and show him as a ruthless, no-nonsense type of leader. Which is again another extreme and I don't like it. It woukd go well with young Thor, but at this point he really should be wiser, mature and in control. Nothing speaks insecurity more than a person who yells "I'm big bad powerful and you all fear me and obey me". As an internet meme says, a lion doesn't have to tell you it's a lion. That's exactly how Loki was before, and I still feel like that might turn out to be the reason why Mjolnir gets heavier for Thor (again).
    It would be kind of funny, but also fitting, if the Loki fans want what the Thor fans don't, and vice versa.

Though I dunno if Cates is trying to please the fans, he's said a number of times this is his dream book, the one he wanted more than anything else, I can't see him landing his dream book then just kinda doing what fans want (or more accurately, a particularly vocal section of fans, they are probably not actually the majority) rather than what he wants, after already having to follow up Aaron, so having that status quo to deal with and all rather than the 'default' status quo. So I am guessing this is simply how he pictures Thor... What's weird tho is in God Country, there are a number of Thor homage characters, and the "Thor" one is actually very nice and not a dick at all. Tho he never interacted with the Loki/Hela (they kinda got mushed together) homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    I agree. With all that Thor has gone through with Aaron and previous writers since JMS, I would think he would be more wiser, mature and in control. He's supposed to be a leader, no longer the blunt force. But it does seem that Cates is moving him back to the other side of the scale and bringing back the force and power. Especially since he is now being powered up by Galactus.

Raye, that's a good theory on the story points. Perhaps it will be paralleling American government actions and perceptions from other realms. I know we're pulling a lot from one issue, but based upon past behaviors and story beats, this could be the case. I'm sure the next several issues will help to bring that to light more. Although, already I'm wondering how somethings will work. Thor goes off with Galactus to battle the Black Winter, which is what he really wants anyway. Who will be overseeing Asgard and the realms while he is gone? Will that be addressed? Will we just fly with Thor? And yeah, how will Loki fit with this. The Black Winter story seems like a big story and not just a 4 issue romp.

When Thor said to Loki "begone till you are summoned" (paraphrasing), my first thought was, well that's one way to move Loki out of the story till he's needed. And wonder if we'll see him during this storyline or if he'll be more prominent in the next one?
    Yeah it was just a stray thought I had as I was typing, but, i mean it could actually fit really well, and could be interesting... just I was really hoping for Thor and Loki to be on better terms is all. If it is the case, it likely does mean Loki is not the aggressor, though he may do something to trigger a response from Thor, but like in a disproportionate sort of way, like with their interaction this issue.

Cates also said in the podcast that this wasn't his initially planned first arc, that is now the second arc, this one is actually there to ease things in, if you can believe it. So while this seems very big and weighty, I don't see it as a Gorr type deal where it goes on for a long time with callbacks later and all that, it's the second arc that's the big stuff, from the sounds of it. Considering this arc is Galactus and the end of the universe, that will be a trick to one up, but it's what he said. It may be that Loki kinda goes away to the background for a bit until this arc is over, in that case, but I think next issue will give us a better idea. He does not seem t be directly involved with the whole Black Winter thing though.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Well it'll be interesting to see what his second arc is then. Where it goes and the behaviors of the characters. Yeah, I can see Loki being out of this story, especially if Cates wants to focus and set the tone with Thor. Makes perfect story sense.

I know I'm a bit behind, but I finished the novel Loki: Where Mischief Lies, by Mackenzie Lee. I really enjoyed it. It started out a bit slow for me. The basic set up and placement of the cast, but then Amora was introduced and things started to pick up and further development from there. When Loki is sent to Migard on a mission, the characters of the SHARP Society and Loki's interaction with them, I thought was well done. The pacing of the overall story was good, and there were good little twists here and there. The overall ending was good, and the only grief I have over it, is how a main point in the story is about being able to change, and then the end kind of left me with questions regarding that point. I know this was the first book in a series of 3 (I believe), but are the other two books to come featuring Loki as well, or are those to be other main characters?
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

It's been sitting in my amazon wishlist for a while, (along with a lot of others) i just kinda kept forgetting to actually get it, i guess. But good to know that it's good! maybe I'll actually go get it now... Is it like comics universe or movies or it's own thing?

So I read Star. I like how Thompson writes Loki, it's kinda playful and maybe just a little manic, and as suspected he was trying to do good in it, tho it kinda looked bad, which he kept trying to clarify. Also it appears he went to get help from the good guys, so that's a good sign. And yeah, him showing up here kind of is building on the whole Infinity Watch thing, he seems to be keeping an eye on the Infinity Stones, and he didn't want the Reality Stone in the hands of some new villain who was likely to unravel reality. So we have 2 accounted for now, and the chances are pretty good that when the other 4 show, he'll be there as well, i guess Loki basically IS the Infinity Watch, now that Wolverine is back doing X-Men things.

spoilers:
    so as mentioned above, Star is in the Bar with No Name, and Titania confronts her, and they end up fighting, things do not go well for Star. She has little experience with using the Reality Stone and she tried to be 'stronger' with the Stone, but it kinda just makes her a little stronger, but not as strong as Titania, so she gets knocked out of the bar. (it comes off as a bit like how Wiccan does his thing, she kinda of repeats what she wants out loud and boom, it happens, but she has to be pretty specific or things can go awry) In the alley she's like 'I'll show them' and is just about to use the stone to burn it to the ground, when Loki was like 'let's not do that' and knocks her out, and hauls her off to a warehouse down the street (a mysterious someone witnesses this, and returns home to tell her friends she found an Infinity Stone, but nothing else came of that, i presume they are of the villainous persuasion) So he has her tied (with magic) to a concrete slab and he's saying he knows it looks bad to be ripping the stone from her chest, and she probably thinks he's just being all evil or opportunistic or both, but he can't have her unraveling reality, and he really is trying to help. She doesn't believe him because she recognizes him and knows he is the 'god of lies (he tells her he's going by the King of the Frost giants' now, she doesn't care) But taking the stone doesn't work, and he goes on to explain that she is at risk for undoing reality and terrible people will be coming to try and take it from her, and with her inexperience she's probably not going to be able to stop them etc. She says 'thank you' that he's given her all the information she needs, and she uses the stone to bust out of his bonds and then vaporize him, but he steps out of the shadows a second later, he wasn't stupid it was an illusion she had torched. And then he is like "Rude. Well then, I predict this will be very bad. I suppose I really should tell someone. hmmmm...." next thing we know she's at Jessica Jones' office, she wants Jones to track down who is after her (she's clearly not thinking big enough scale, since it was like, Warbringer who came for the last one, Jones is not going to be able to do an investigation on a cosmic scale, but...) and Jones recognizes her cus she's besties with Carol and tells her she's not going to help, and goes to punch her lights out. but Star uses the stone again to force Jessica to want to help her find who is looking for the stone, and Jones says she really wants to do that now.... but then as soon as Star turns her back she whacks her with a paper weight. says she has issues with people trying to control her mind for obvious reasons, and Star didn't word her command well enough again, Jones wants to find out who is after the stone, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want to see her beaten to a pulp. Just as the fight is getting rolling tho, Scarlet Witch shows up, this is presumably the 'someone' Loki told. And that is the end of the issue.
    end of spoilers

I'm happy with this. If he continues to be like this in Thor's book, It will be okay with me. The art on him is a bit outdated, but that's a minor thing.

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Marvel Studios May Be Looking To Cast Kid Loki For The Upcoming Disney+ Series
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/ma..._campaign=test

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    Damn you, Disney! I can't do this again!

Extraordinary Member

So, read Star and it was fun. Poor girl really has no idea what she's doing, especially given that if she knew Loki, she'd know that he was actually trying to be nice to her by removing the stone without killing her.

well, 'poor girl' is a bit debatable, she was in prison when the stone found her, and it broke her out, so... it's a step up from that. It's also not clear right now how much she regrets what she did to Carol and most of NY. It was her grand debut in villainy, so i could see someone in that position having regrets in hindsight. And she certainly regrets it from the point that it made her life more difficult than it used to be because she is wanted, but actual guilt? Feels bad about the actual act rather than just getting caught and becoming a fugitive which apparently sucks? unclear. Her actions were not really great... Loki had to stop her from torching an entire building, and then she turned around and killed him, (or she thought she did anyway) after he said he was trying to help, and then she mind controlled Jessica Jones. so.... She may turn it around, but she's not there yet. Of course, she probably just pissed off the person who could best help her do that, since he's been through it himself recently. And he still might, along with Wanda, but she's not making it easy. Maybe the whole Infinity Watch thing is going to end up being Loki teaming up with a different character per stone.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    Nice! though if it is meant to be Kid Loki, (the character description sounds like it could fit, but the "Open Ethnicity" bit may point to it not being him, since, you know, if it's essentially supposed to be a younger version of the Loki in the movies... there isn't a lot of wiggle room there) I doubt we will be getting full blown JIM. From the sounds of it, it's more like Hiddleston's Loki is hopping through alt realities, and he may encounter versions of himself that are different, so Kid Loki, Lady Loki etc. and they may be drawing inspiration from the comics to an extent, but not like, recreating the story lines. But they also all seem to be recurring roles, so... sounds like it won't be like an episode per dimension or something. I dunno, it's strange.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    well, 'poor girl' is a bit debatable, she was in prison when the stone found her, and it broke her out, so... it's a step up from that. It's also not clear right now how much she regrets what she did to Carol and most of NY. It was her grand debut in villainy, so i could see someone in that position having regrets in hindsight. And she certainly regrets it from the point that it made her life more difficult than it used to be because she is wanted, but actual guilt? Feels bad about the actual act rather than just getting caught and becoming a fugitive which apparently sucks? unclear. Her actions were not really great... Loki had to stop her from torching an entire building, and then she turned around and killed him, (or she thought she did anyway) after he said he was trying to help, and then she mind controlled Jessica Jones. so.... She may turn it around, but she's not there yet. Of course, she probably just pissed off the person who could best help her do that, since he's been through it himself recently. And he still might, along with Wanda, but she's not making it easy. Maybe the whole Infinity Watch thing is going to end up being Loki teaming up with a different character per stone.

Nice! though if it is meant to be Kid Loki, (the character description sounds like it could fit, but the "Open Ethnicity" bit may point to it not being him, since, you know, if it's essentially supposed to be a younger version of the Loki in the movies... there isn't a lot of wiggle room there) I doubt we will be getting full blown JIM. From the sounds of it, it's more like Hiddleston's Loki is hopping through alt realities, and he may encounter versions of himself that are different, so Kid Loki, Lady Loki etc. and they may be drawing inspiration from the comics to an extent, but not like, recreating the story lines. But they also all seem to be recurring roles, so... sounds like it won't be like an episode per dimension or something. I dunno, it's strange.
    The open ethnicity thing doesn’t mean it couldn’t be Loki. I mean, the fun part about Loki cosplay is that literally anyone can cosplay as Loki and it will always work, so why not apply this to actors? But yes, could mean anything, really.

But it’s an interesting series and Disney can take it in so many directions.

And yeah, Star is pissing off the few people who know where she’s been and who might give her a chance. But she’s proving herself to be way too dangerous to live. She’s just...well, not a very nice person and doesn’t come across as having many redeeming qualities, but oddly, I don’t hate her. She’s not too repulsive and her determination to learn how to use the stone is fun.

I mean the cosplay thing is true of ANY character, not just Loki. people of different races and genders cosplay their favorite characters all the time, because cosplay is often more about expressing your love for a character than it is dressing up as a character you happen to physically resemble, (tho that happens sometimes too) or just because it's fun to play what if, it is not unique to Loki. It doesn't mean the studios are likely to cast someone who doesn't visually fit a major character's appearance because some people of a different race/gender/age/whatever cosplay as them. Marvel has already cast their MCU Loki as Tom Hiddleston, so Loki as a child will most logically look like a young Hiddleston, and he is white. It might be that in a different universe he looks totally different, like they might be doing with Lady Loki. but from the comics we know it wasn't a case of Loki being born a woman, there were circumstances around that. (tho some alt universe stories do use this trope) So encountering a female Loki in the multiverse may not actually mean much, if we assume something like the comics going on, even if they don't get into details. In most cases though, alt universe versions of a character do bear some physical resemblance to the original. So it might still be him, just saying, that part gives me some doubts because I would expect MCU Loki as a child to resemble a young Hiddleston.

And with Star, I looked at the Star thread, and quite a few people there actually want her to remain a villain. Carol has a pretty lackluster rogues gallery, the good villains she did have usually end up being snagged by other characters (usually the X-Men, oddly) so she is left with very few villains that are widely recognized and interesting. Then Star hit with a massive splash, and she might finally have the beginnings of a big villain that is recognizable outside of her dedicated fandom, and whose origin is directly linked to Carol. So because of that, a lot of people want her to stay bad, and I can kinda get that. Like, with Thor and Loki, a) Thor has a pretty good rogues gellery overall, so losing Loki isn't a massive blow to his rogues gallery, even though Loki was the most prominent. b) because they are brothers, Loki and Thor don't need to be antagonists to be part of each others cast of characters, turning face doesn't remove him from Thor's book. So keeping Loki a villain is not really essential, and having him flip now actually gives him more depth. But here, Carol has a shitty rogues gallery so losing a new villain with promise kinda hurts her, and big splash or not, Star is unlikely to get much traction long term outside of Carol's book this early on, no matter how awesome her costume is. She has barely started as a villain, so a face turn now won't carry as much weight, and because Carol is so lacking in baddies, she could get a lot of mileage out of being a bad guy to her. She could actually get more panel time and development as a villain in Carol's book than as a good guy as a new character, who fade into obscurity after a few years tops 9 times out of 10. And this story specifically, I think it could be interesting to contrast her with Loki, a bad guy turned good to her good girl gone bad, rather than having him steer her back on track. And yeah, she is a shitty human being right now, but she's still interesting.

But the question of if she is going to turn things around or not is something we are meant to be asking, clearly. So I think the idea that she might turn face is going to be prominent, and it's a bit hard to say right now which way she will go. But as Loki pointed out, if she chooses villain, the Reality Stone really can not be allowed to remain with her, its far too dangerous. This is probably the single most dangerous stone to have fall into the wrong hands. Bringing Wanda into this is no accident, Thompson included her, and Loki chose her to go to, over dozens of others, for a good reason; Wanda is a cautionary tale of how the whole reality warping thing can have terrible consequences, so she has something she can teach Star as well, if she is willing to listen. So she has to either lose the stone, or listen to Loki and Wanda, follow thier examples and turn face so she can be trusted to not end all of existence with a thought.

I just read Star 1. I don't know much about the character, but based on this issue, I didn't need to. I caught up to speed quickly. And I liked Loki's angle. Yeah, he definitely knows about the stones and their power and he wasn't trying to kill her, but protect the universe. Regardless of Cates' angle on Loki, this helps to show him in the broader light we've been seeing and he's been growing into, including in his own recent series. Glad to see he'll be turning up at least one more time, but hopefully we'll see him throughout the series trying to find others to help retrieve the stone. Looking forward to issue 2.

Hrmmm...Here's a thought that just popped in my mind. With the coming Loki Disney+ series, with Loki in possession of the Space Stone, and traveling through other dimensions and time, a Marvel series could expand on this. Loki has recently been involved in the latest Infinity Wars and dealt with the stones, then along with Wolverine in Infinity Watch, and now again in Star. Perhaps he could be the one to watch over the stones to ensure the safety of the universe. Doesn't take him away from who he is, but can use his abilities and expand them by placing him in various situations due to the stone. Idk...that's all I got, so it could be too cosmic.

Like i said above, it seems now like Loki kinda IS the Infinity Watch, despite the first book being prefixed with 'Wolverine'. First time it could have just been an odd convergence that drew everyone together, and it could have ended there. But Loki was involved when the Infinity Stones gained the ability to seek out hosts, and now he's found TWO of them, helped the first one, with Wolverine and Bats' help, and now Star, we'll have to see how that plays out, but he's brought in Scarlet Witch this time, and looks like Jessica Jones will be involved too. So like, wouldn't it be fun if it was just Loki teaming up with various characters to make sure the Infinity Stones are in good hands, and all? Maybe build to some kind of story where they have to come together or something? gives Loki something to do, and one by one make some more connections with the good guys so they can maybe start to trust him more. The only real problemis that it seems unlikely that the stones would all be drawn to Earth, despite the first 2 apparently ending up there, so may have to go cosmic for the rest, which makes teamups a bit harder.

I'd be up for seeing that. Seeing Loki teaming up with others through adventures. And coordinating others to take care of matters that he knows how best to using their skills and abilities. Yup

Extraordinary Member

Since Secret Wars, Earth is sort of the most important planet in the universe, so if most of the stones ended yp there, it would make some level of sense.