Page 51 of 108 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I did not know that.

I mean, it would also be kind of skeevy to have a teenager involved in poker, but I now see there was a cultural aspect in play as well.
    It was kind of weird that she was even there in the first place.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I can see the attempt of f making the connection but still don’t think it works as a comparison. I’d imagine being demon would make the magic innate something it’s not often portrayed as besides the recent appearance in Captain Marvel where it came off as an innate ability. You’re example doesn’t make sense because she wasn’t physically different until the Kree accident with device that unlocked her power. That’s what I got from the explanation atleast it just released what was inside her. That’s pretty much the only difference. Heck if anything I find the retcon more relatable. I’m Nigerian but was born in the US and grew up knowing US culture but I yearn to learn more about my lineage and family heritage.

I don’t remember it saying she’s driven to these things because of being half Kree now that I think about it but I could be missing something that was stated in the actual book?
    It's directly stated that Carol's interest in space and drive to excel were the kree part of her. Both of which she had before the accident.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's directly stated that Carol's interest in space and drive to excel were the kree part of her. Both of which she had before the accident.
    How does that make her less relatable though? It would still be her having that drive regardless of it being a part of her or not

How does that make her less relatable though? It would still be her having that drive regardless of it being a part of her or not
    Because personality traits being inborn is racist and not compelling, especially since pre-retcon she had it BECAUSE of her father limiting her and not because he was trying to keep her from contacting aliens.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Meet Lauri-Ell, Captain Marvel's long lost sister! She debuts in issue 18.
    https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-h...ior-lauri-ell/
    Well, she looks... good. I don't have any particular feelings about this right now. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of get it from a standpoint of Carol's current origin, it makes sense, and Thompson will probably write her in a very likeable way...but I'm not convinced the current origin will stick enough to make her a viable character and "long lost half-sisters" is big cliche (not that cliche's are inherently bad).

Carol barely interacts with her brother as is.
    I don't really see any reason why they would change her origin again. I know a lot of people were under the impression that they would try to make her origin be more in line with the movies, but it's been more than a year since the Captain Marvel movie came out, and if they wanted something that mirrors that in anyway, it would've happened by now. Instead, they're doubling down on her Kree heritage. And now that I think about it, I feel like future movies might even be inspired by the current origin, since we saw very little of Carol's biological family in her first movie. I could see them saying one of her parents was Kree, after all. It would certainly explain why she doesn't seem to age in that universe.

But yes, I agree she should interact with her brother more.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I bet they chose a name that could easily translate to a Human name. Laurel Danvers?
    That's what I was thinking. It definitely sounds like a play on a name, much like Car-Ell.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    While I would very much like to see her brother become a regular fixture in the book, I would rather see him stay normal human as a counterpoint to the alien half sister as a way to give Carol a grounding point.
    Co-sign.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t get what you mean by Cosmic Ray him? But I like the concept of having powers but not really wanting to do the heroics, somewhat like Wonderman? Who doesn’t want to fight anyone
    Fantastic Four/Red Ghost and the Super Apes/U-Foes empowerment. Somehow he gets a dose of cosmic rays and gets powers that way.

BANNED

Because personality traits being inborn is racist and not compelling, especially since pre-retcon she had it BECAUSE of her father limiting her and not because he was trying to keep her from contacting aliens.
    Uhm, what? Where are you even getting contacting aliens. How is being really interested in space suppose to be racist to Kree?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Fantastic Four/Red Ghost and the Super Apes/U-Foes empowerment. Somehow he gets a dose of cosmic rays and gets powers that way.
    I guess if Carol ever travels through space again, her brother coming with her could be a cool way to go that route.

Extraordinary Member

I guess if Carol ever travels through space again, her brother coming with her could be a cool way to go that route.
    At the end of the series he took off in his boat...maybe he encounters a satellite that crashes and is irradiated...

Uhm, what? Where are you even getting contacting aliens. How is being really interested in space suppose to be racist to Kree?
    Thats the explanation given. Carol's dad was scared of losing his daughter to aliens so he reacted violently when she showed kree traits.

It's racist to say all people of a certain race are genetically drawn to the same interests. It's like saying "if you're black then you must automatically love rap".

BANNED

Thats the explanation given. Carol's dad was scared of losing his daughter to aliens so he reacted violently when she showed kree traits.

It's racist to say all people of a certain race are genetically drawn to the same interests. It's like saying "if you're black then you must automatically love rap".
    So her dad was racist because he was scared his daughter would be taken away by aliens. Still not seeing how the character becomes less relatable. She still grew up believing her dad didn’t believe in her because she was woman. I don’t see how the sexist angle was any better so it really doesn’t do anything to hurt his character either.

So her dad was racist because he was scared his daughter would be taken away by aliens. Still not seeing how the character becomes less relatable. She still grew up believing her dad didn’t believe in her because she was woman. I don’t see how the sexist angle was any better so it really doesn’t do anything to hurt his character either.
    It changes the dynamic even in retrospect, and also changes what the problem actually was, especially since he was supposed to be right and she was acting like an alien instead of a human girl, implying it's unnatural for a girl to be interested in space.

BANNED

It doesn’t change the fact on what she believed it to be or the fact she went on and did her own thing regardless of her father’s wishes. Regardless another writer could always come along and just stay inline with the sexist thing. Her being half Kree doesn’t change anything characterization wise. If anything her father’s reasoning comes off more sympathetic than it did in the past.

It doesn’t change the fact on what she believed it to be or the fact she went on and did her own thing regardless of her father’s wishes. Regardless another writer could always come along and just stay inline with the sexist thing. Her being half Kree doesn’t change anything characterization wise. If anything her father’s reasoning comes off more sympathetic than it did in the past.
    Well her father's reasoning being more sympathetic has it's own problems, hovering dangerously close to "daddy had a good reason for abusing you" territory.

In any case, it's getting late on my end, so l suggest we just agree to disagree for now. May you enjoy whatever you choose to spend your money on.

BANNED

Well her father's reasoning being more sympathetic has it's own problems, hovering dangerously close to "daddy had a good reason for abusing you" territory.

In any case, it's getting late on my end, so l suggest we just agree to disagree for now. May you enjoy whatever you choose to spend your money on.
    I don’t get how he even ever abused her? Limiting her? I don’t think he ever actively touched her in a abusive manner and as far as we know he didn’t degrade her with words unless the limiting herself was a form of mental abuse?

Regardless yeah we’d probably end up disagreeing I’m not saying it isn’t a change I’m just saying it’s more beneficial for Carol than not. Given it opens up a lot of doors