Page 46 of 108 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    My point wasn't about the quality of ther book, but about the idea of splitting time between Earthy and space.
    I think the whole "Avengers ambassador to aliens" idea they pushed with Carol was interesting and had merit; it was a fairly unique niche nobody else was filling, she was well suited to the role.....it could've been pretty great and given Carol a position to call her own. But finding the balance between "earth' and "cosmic" is something Marvel has often struggled with. It seems Marvel has given up on the space-based Alpha Flight and Carol running the show (last I knew anyway, like I said I'm behind on the book), and given how the book was at the time I can understand why, but I hope they revisit the idea and give it another shot sometime; it wasn't the concept that was bad, it was the writing.

As an aside, I recently introduced my seven year old daughter to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. She spent all of season 1 asking when Captain Marvel (her favorite hero) would show up, and has spent season 2 bitching about her being called "Ms."

I agree, DnA's Nova was good - even if was basically Green Lantern in the Marvel universe (but then, Rich's origin is a copy of Hal's too).
    Well the Nova Corps are just Green Lanterns without the ring, always have been. But I don't know if I'd say DnA were just doing a GLC riff (beyond what Nova is to begin with); that book, especially in the first year or two, felt far more "sci fi with just a dash of superhero" than anything I've seen from the Lanterns.

I still don't understand why Marvel replaced Richard just as his profile was rising and the Nova IP was gaining some notoriety. But I've seen what Nova discussions can do to a thread so I'll take that commentary where it belongs before I start a fire here.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-13-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As an aside, I recently introduced my seven year old daughter to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. She spent all of season 1 asking when Captain Marvel (her favorite hero) would show up, and has spent season 2 bitching about her being called "Ms."
    It's a shame your daughter hasn't quite grasped the awesomeness that is Carol as Ms. Marvel, but I guess retroactively it is kind of weird .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't people complain about the second volume of the DeConnick run having her be in space all the time?
    Aside from the funny Lila Cheney issue, she didn't do anything of note in space in that run.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    marvel wants to throw carol under the bus at every turn, whenever they can
    Honestly don’t want to agree with this, but I don’t get how the big idea of promoting her in a event was Civil War II where you had her face off against the face of your movie franchise and not only that but kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Aside from the funny Lila Cheney issue, she didn't do anything of note in space in that run.
    I agree with this too, KSD had some really fun issues and some stuff got personal, but Carol really didn’t do much of anything noteworthy in her run. Teamed up with the Guardians of the Galaxy, There was that diplomacy thing I thought was cool, and the whole issue with the rhyming was fun but outside all that she didn’t really do anything. Her book often times feels like it’s just waiting for tieins. I don’t like Coates take on Black Panther but his journey in space comes off and reads way more grandiose and epic. Doctor Strange has a really cool space arc ending up wrapping with Galactus. Thor constantly gets to juggle around Midgard, Asgard and the cosmos

I’d argue since Reed’s run Carol hasn’t really felt grandiose till Kelly Thompson. Who actually shows her as a prominent part of the Marvel universe in her stories.

Carol is a character with a lot of potential and stuff that’s been one off’d that could be played with to build her mythos. Binary was introduced in the 80s and we still don’t even really get how that form/power up works.Heck she has a lot of adventures as Binary that we could assume happened with the Starjammers but we don’t know about. No idea where her alt universe Warbird/Carol is.

BANNED

I think the whole "Avengers ambassador to aliens" idea they pushed with Carol was interesting and had merit; it was a fairly unique niche nobody else was filling, she was well suited to the role.....it could've been pretty great and given Carol a position to call her own. But finding the balance between "earth' and "cosmic" is something Marvel has often struggled with. It seems Marvel has given up on the space-based Alpha Flight and Carol running the show (last I knew anyway, like I said I'm behind on the book), and given how the book was at the time I can understand why, but I hope they revisit the idea and give it another shot sometime; it wasn't the concept that was bad, it was the writing.

Miss Marvel on Earth Mightiest Heroes outside Black Panther has to be my favorite hero. I think they did her complete justice with her introduction and her powerset and abilities. She’s definitely my favorite heroine. She felt deeply tied into the Kree/Hala stuff they emphasized her military rank without having her be showboaty about it, and in the tie ins she arm wrestled Thor and show knocked around Hulk outside the outfit EMH did Carol right.

I don’t mind Carol being referred to as Capt. Marvel now but I’d love for the Ms. identity to be referenced every so often. Not something that’s forgotten or hidden about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Miss Marvel on Earth Mightiest Heroes outside Black Panther has to be my favorite hero. I think they did her complete justice with her introduction and her powerset and abilities. She’s definitely my favorite heroine. She felt deeply tied into the Kree/Hala stuff they emphasized her military rank without having her be showboaty about it, and in the tie ins she arm wrestled Thor and show knocked around Hulk outside the outfit EMH did Carol right.

I don’t mind Carol being referred to as Capt. Marvel now but I’d love for the Ms. identity to be referenced every so often. Not something that’s forgotten or hidden about the character.
    What was wrong with the outfit?

BANNED

What was wrong with the outfit?
    F60F726B-951B-4AB2-871A-C3E8095FBD94.jpg

Basically the same suit

I think it looks good when you cover up the stomach portion.

EMH was axed after season 2 of course, but if it was revived like Young Justice, I'm certain the first episode would reveal some changes - among them Carol getting a new costume and now calling herself Captain Marvel. That had just happened in the comics when the show ended, so it's something season 3 might've done originally.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The only negative about EMH Carol is that she was a regular in the dread season 2.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    EMH was axed after season 2 of course, but if it was revived like Young Justice, I'm certain the first episode would reveal some changes - among them Carol getting a new costume and now calling herself Captain Marvel. That had just happened in the comics when the show ended, so it's something season 3 might've done originally.
    Then it would be the first adaption to properly show the transition from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel.
    The only negative about EMH Carol is that she was a regular in the dread season 2.
    It's only dread for the second half after Man of Action took over, and I'd say the show still holds up better than most of Avengers Assemble.

It's a shame your daughter hasn't quite grasped the awesomeness that is Carol as Ms. Marvel, but I guess retroactively it is kind of weird .
    Eh, my kid never knew Carol as anything other than Captain. I've told her stories about Carol as "Ms." but all the comics and movies call her Captain, and hearing about something from "a long time ago" (she's seven; 2012 was a long time ago) is different from actually seeing it. So yeah, for her it's weird and she doesn't like it. She thinks "Ms" sounds weak and "Captain" sounds badass.

She loves Carol in the show, just doesn't like the name.

I never want Carol to return to Ms., but I agree there's nothing wrong with remembering her past; I don't want it forgotten like it never happened.....I just don't want to live there anymore.

It's only dread for the second half after Man of Action took over, and I'd say the show still holds up better than most of Avengers Assemble.
    I agree. I'm pretty sure Assemble didn't hold up even when it was new. I did like the art designs (at least at first, my son got bored of it before season 2 ended so I'm not sure what happened with art/designs afterwards) but it's not the show EMH was.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I thought the torfa arc was cool where she took on J'son
    and the last issue where she mourned tracy burke

BANNED

Didn't people complain about the second volume of the DeConnick run having her be in space all the time?
    The problem was not that she was in space, it's that it was spinning wheels

Going for a mission is one thing, becuse there's action and focus and lore building.

But sitting around talking about your cat and tieing in to the black vortex event is not what's good.

Eh, my kid never knew Carol as anything other than Captain. I've told her stories about Carol as "Ms." but all the comics and movies call her Captain, and hearing about something from "a long time ago" (she's seven; 2012 was a long time ago) is different from actually seeing it. So yeah, for her it's weird and she doesn't like it. She thinks "Ms" sounds weak and "Captain" sounds badass.

She loves Carol in the show, just doesn't like the name.
    Nobody tell Kamala that .

(I think that's a little problematic that having a gendered name is automatically weaker, but that's a whole other thing).
    I never want Carol to return to Ms., but I agree there's nothing wrong with remembering her past; I don't want it forgotten like it never happened.....I just don't want to live there anymore.
    I'd be fine with just more acknowledgement of how significant her period as Ms. Marvel period is instead of just always assuming she was instantly Captain Marvel and Kamala came up with Ms. Marvel on her own, but that ship has probably sailed .
    I agree. I'm pretty sure Assemble didn't hold up even when it was new. I did like the art designs (at least at first, my son got bored of it before season 2 ended so I'm not sure what happened with art/designs afterwards) but it's not the show EMH was.
    The art design looked better as promotional art then it did in the actual show, whether that was because of the animation or movie designs just not working as well in animation. But the art design was never as vibrant or as memorable as EMH.