Page 47 of 108 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it looks good when you cover up the stomach portion.
    It also had tigh-high boots, which both covers her up more and just looks better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree. I'm pretty sure Assemble didn't hold up even when it was new. I did like the art designs (at least at first, my son got bored of it before season 2 ended so I'm not sure what happened with art/designs afterwards) but it's not the show EMH was.
    The art designs stayed the same until season 4 (except for Falcon, whose design change was explained), then season 5 changed half of them (Black Widow had a major haircut) and got rid of the other half of the team (it had expanded in seasons 3 and 4) completely.

I'd be fine with just more acknowledgement of how significant her period as Ms. Marvel period is instead of just always assuming she was instantly Captain Marvel and Kamala came up with Ms. Marvel on her own, but that ship has probably sailed .
    Yup. Of course the MCU will handle it just as you described, Kamala will take Carol's blue and red colour scheme, but the thunderbolt emblem and Ms. Marvel name will be her own invention. Expanded media always skips over Carol's time as Ms. Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nobody tell Kamala that .

(I think that's a little problematic that having a gendered name is automatically weaker, but that's a whole other thing).
    She's seven. She doesn't think about gender roles. What she knows is that "Ms" is what a waiter calls her mom when we order food at a restaurant and "Captain" is something you call a soldier.

I'd be fine with just more acknowledgement of how significant her period as Ms. Marvel period is instead of just always assuming she was instantly Captain Marvel and Kamala came up with Ms. Marvel on her own, but that ship has probably sailed .
    Probably. I hold out hope that Marvel will be less shy about Carol's "Ms" days eventually and they only avoid it now because some fans haven't accepted the change. I hope that, once Carol truly owns the "Captain" name and people aren't bitching about it anymore, Marvel won't be afraid to explore the "Ms" history. I mean, that was a big deal in the 70's; it's pretty counter to their diversity/representation efforts to ignore the role Carol played with first (second?) wave feminism.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

I like KSD's 2014 run, i miss Carol hanging around with Chewie.

Then it would be the first adaption to properly show the transition from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel.

It's only dread for the second half after Man of Action took over, and I'd say the show still holds up better than most of Avengers Assemble.
    EMH was way better than Avengers Assemble, althought i prefer Carol's portrayal in Avengers Assemble.

Awesome life size bust from Queen Studios.

rs510nzcsua51.jpg

She's seven. She doesn't think about gender roles. What she knows is that "Ms" is what a waiter calls her mom when we order food at a restaurant and "Captain" is something you call a soldier.
    It's a term of deference. I guess from a command and leadership perspective "Captain" fits more but I don't see "Ms" as a bad thing. Of course, I don't mean to debate a seven year old .
    Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    EMH was way better than Avengers Assemble, althought i prefer Carol's portrayal in Avengers Assemble.
    I thought Carol was pretty bad in Assemble myself, especially compared to EMH.

It's a term of deference. I guess from a command and leadership perspective "Captain" fits more but I don't see "Ms" as a bad thing. Of course, I don't mean to debate a seven year old .
    Well, *I* know it's a term of deference. She doesn't know and doesn't care. She just knows Captain sounds like a badass fighter and Ms. is what you call your teacher.

When she gets older and learns a little history, she'll appreciate "Ms" and Carol's role in helping bring feminism to comics. Right now? I'm just happy she likes comics and superheroes at all.

I thought Carol was pretty bad in Assemble myself, especially compared to EMH.
    I don't think my son and I watched it far enough to even see Carol so I can't comment on this one.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, *I* know it's a term of deference. She doesn't know and doesn't care. She just knows Captain sounds like a badass fighter and Ms. is what you call your teacher.

When she gets older and learns a little history, she'll appreciate "Ms" and Carol's role in helping bring feminism to comics. Right now? I'm just happy she likes comics and superheroes at all.
    That's the dream .
    I don't think my son and I watched it far enough to even see Carol so I can't comment on this one.
    I don't want to go into a diatribe about my problems with Carol on that show, but I'll just suffice to say that there are many areas where I feel she's lacking.

That's the dream .

I don't want to go into a diatribe about my problems with Carol on that show, but I'll just suffice to say that there are many areas where I feel she's lacking.
    In Assemble i thought she was sassy,cocky and badass like she's supposed to be, in EMH she was awesome too the only problem was the costume.
    Last edited by AndersonHoran; 07-14-2020 at 06:25 PM.

In Assemble i thought she was sassy,cocky and badass like she's supposed to be, in EMH she was awesome too the only problem was the costume.
    It felt like they were trying too hard to make her come off that way and not really developing her character much beyond that so she was extremely thin as a character. Grey Griffin's performance also felt forced.

And, again, I don't see the problem with the costume. Compared to how they adapted the Captain Marvel suit in Assemble it looked much more visually appealing.

It felt like they were trying too hard to make her come off that way and not really developing her character much beyond that so she was extremely thin as a character. Grey Griffin's performance also felt forced.

And, again, I don't see the problem with the costume. Compared to how they adapted the Captain Marvel suit in Assemble it looked much more visually appealing.
    Assemble lacked writting since it was an animation aimed for the childish audience, but if we are talking about how Carol was portrayed in both shows i think Assemble got her personality better, for the swinsuit it wasn't practical nor realistic, luckily she doesn't have to wear that anymore.

Assemble lacked writting since it was an animation aimed for the childish audience, but if we are talking about how Carol was portrayed in both shows i think Assemble got her personality better, for the swinsuit it wasn't practical nor realistic, luckily she doesn't have to wear that anymore.
    I mean, it's a cartoon so I don't think realism or practical elements really matter. Hawkeye's classic look is outlandish but I'll take that any day a week over a purple shirt and shades. It's all about the visuals.

I don't think Assemble had a really flattering portrayal of her personality, so I'd give it to EMH again.

I mean, it's a cartoon so I don't think realism or practical elements really matter. Hawkeye's classic look is outlandish but I'll take that any day a week over a purple shirt and shades. It's all about the visuals.

I don't think Assemble had a really flattering portrayal of her personality, so I'd give it to EMH again.
    Well, to be fair, Hawkeye's classic look is, as you said, quite outlandish. But I guess back in the day ti wasn't so back considering how outlandish in general these characters used to be back then. Nowadays since he is portrayed as more grounded and down to earth, I feel the purple shirts and tactical suits fit better with his whole "super agent" theme.

Which is my same issue with Carol. I don't hate her Ms. Marvel suit, talking especially about the iconic black one as opposed to her very first suit. But I think it's a suit that, nowadays, would not fit with the backstory and overall personality that Carol has. Her current outfit fits way better in that regard.

Of course this is not talking necessarily about the animated shows. So don't take it as a counter argument to what you said directly. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Well, to be fair, Hawkeye's classic look is, as you said, quite outlandish. But I guess back in the day ti wasn't so back considering how outlandish in general these characters used to be back then. Nowadays since he is portrayed as more grounded and down to earth, I feel the purple shirts and tactical suits fit better with his whole "super agent" theme.

Which is my same issue with Carol. I don't hate her Ms. Marvel suit, talking especially about the iconic black one as opposed to her very first suit. But I think it's a suit that, nowadays, would not fit with the backstory and overall personality that Carol has. Her current outfit fits way better in that regard.

Of course this is not talking necessarily about the animated shows. So don't take it as a counter argument to what you said directly. Just my thoughts.
    I prefer Hawkeye to be a more daring and bold jovial archer then a down-to-Earth "super agent," so that's probably why the look never appealed to me.

I see elements of Carol's personality in the Ms. Marvel look, personally, even if it might not be as obvious compared to the Captain Marvel look being practically a military uniform (although nowadays it's pretty much just a Superhero costume compared to other depictions of it).