Page 45 of 108 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Definitely under 21. I think she's probably around 18. The kids from Avengers Academy shouldn't have aged up much since that series ended.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Flipping through Annihilation: Scourge, and Marvel really missed the mark by not having Carol part of this event. It could have helped give her some cosmic credibility. They keep pushing her in these civil war type of storylines, but they always write her as some fascist.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I bet they excluded her because she wasn't in the previous Annihilation events (she was still Ms. Marvel at the time of those).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I bet they excluded her because she wasn't in the previous Annihilation events (she was still Ms. Marvel at the time of those).
    But neither was the FF and Beta Ray Bill.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    But neither was the FF and Beta Ray Bill.
    she was in the background somewhere.

But keep in mind, she doesn't really have any useful skills. She's stronger than average but not really useful when you can get in people like beta ray bill. She's not a super genius. Her binary abilities are really conditional, and even though they have massive potential as a white hole connection or a black hole connection they aren't explored aside form keeping it as a generic power up instead of all the amazing stuff she could be capable of.

Marvel gave her alpha flight, but having an organization doesn't really make you useful individually especially when all organizations are portrayed as inefficient compared to a sole amazing soldier who goes in being a big damn hero. Why get nameless scientists from alpha flight when you just cut out the middle men and have the GOATs? Why have a meaningless batallion of ships? Why have faceless soldiers?

Instead of building up her value as an individual, they give her authority to give some sense of importance, when no one, and I mean no one (not even captain america) handle authority well in comics because superheroes are meant to operate outside of it and only exist to show the authority as either well meaning but ineffective and obstructive or authoritarian, or "letting the real heroes go, so they can do the job"

Why not use her 7th sense (return it, maybe tie to my earlier idea of giving back the part of her that was trapped in rogue), give her control over it, and it becomes an incredibly useful tool? We saw minnerva use it during Operation galactic storm for either detecting ambient threats or to locate atlass. Or as a precognitive vision tool (and don't pull that self fulfilling prophecy nonsense, carol had a precognitive vision and could use it properly and intelligently in the classic series like for fxs sake)

Marvel wants Carol to be an Avenger protecting Earth.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    marvel wants to throw carol under the bus at every turn, whenever they can

I think my thing is more accurate.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

I think my thing is more accurate.
    meh, you can protect earth while also splitting time for some cosmic threats.

Really? Iron Man tried (he joined the Guardians of the Galaxy), didn't last long.

And Nova pretty much gave up on protecting Earth after he came back from Annihilation only to find Civil War had happened and his secret identity had been outed (Hindsight Lad betrayed the New Warriors by exposing them all). Iron Man said register within 24 hours or else. He chose to leave.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

This.
    And it works...we get a good mix of cosmic villains and then the personal, grounded ones too. Star and Vox both represent that pretty well.

BANNED

Really? Iron Man tried (he joined the Guardians of the Galaxy), didn't last long.

And Nova pretty much gave up on protecting Earth after he came back from Annihilation only to find Civil War had happened and his secret identity had been outed (Hindsight Lad betrayed the New Warriors by exposing them all). Iron Man said register within 24 hours or else. He chose to leave.
    Im not saying join a permanent team or roam space

In the mar-vell CM series and genis ones, rick jones bonded to them giving them an earth connection but they still dealt with cosmic threats. The ultimates (ewing) were an earth based team which took on cosmic threats.

Here's the thing, cosmic threats happen in space, they don't happen ALL THE TIME, and the only limit is time and distance where characters from different galaxies can show up regardless. Like, it's not like earth is in a different dimension or anything.

Nova leaving was circumstantial, and carol's not had a secret identity in 20 years anyway.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 07-13-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Didn't people complain about the second volume of the DeConnick run having her be in space all the time?

That era was the best Nova has ever been.

I would not argue at all against Carol getting some of that sci-fi focus and TLC.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

My point wasn't about the quality of ther book, but about the idea of splitting time between Earthy and space.

I agree, DnA's Nova was good - even if was basically Green Lantern in the Marvel universe (but then, Rich's origin is a copy of Hal's too).