Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 1217
  1. #721
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Poker night was cute, ended up being just escape room night because kamala's too young for gambling. Nothing serious happened.
    It is because she is Muslim. It is against their religion to be involved with any betting, lottery, or other games of chance.

  2. #722
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is because she is Muslim. It is against their religion to be involved with any betting, lottery, or other games of chance.
    im an idiot OF COURSE

  3. #723
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is because she is Muslim. It is against their religion to be involved with any betting, lottery, or other games of chance.
    I did not know that.

    I mean, it would also be kind of skeevy to have a teenager involved in poker, but I now see there was a cultural aspect in play as well.

  4. #724
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    23,504

    Default

    Meet Lauri-Ell, Captain Marvel's long lost sister! She debuts in issue 18.
    https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-h...ior-lauri-ell/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  5. #725
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Meet Lauri-Ell, Captain Marvel's long lost sister! She debuts in issue 18.
    https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-h...ior-lauri-ell/
    ...I'm not sure how to feel about this.

  6. #726
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,444

    Default

    I'm looking forward to seeing it. I like them taking advantage of the new status quo to add an additional supporting cast of hopefully interesting characters. I know people don't like the retcon, but I think they should use the retcon to make interesting stories.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  7. #727
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9,521

    Default

    SwoLauri-Ell vs Cheems Danvers

    Quote Originally Posted by ???
    The world has changed, and so have I.

  8. #728
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,119

    Default

    I kind of get it from a standpoint of Carol's current origin, it makes sense, and Thompson will probably write her in a very likeable way...but I'm not convinced the current origin will stick enough to make her a viable character and "long lost half-sisters" is big cliche (not that cliche's are inherently bad).

    Carol barely interacts with her brother as is.

  9. #729
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Really....and that's the name they went with?? Named her after a make up company??

  10. #730
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    3,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Really....and that's the name they went with?? Named her after a make up company??
    Everyone keeps saying this here and elsewhere and I'm like... L'Oreal and Lauri-Ell don't have the same pronunciation to me . Like, at all. :x

  11. #731
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    23,504

    Default

    I bet they chose a name that could easily translate to a Human name. Laurel Danvers?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  12. #732
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of get it from a standpoint of Carol's current origin, it makes sense, and Thompson will probably write her in a very likeable way...but I'm not convinced the current origin will stick enough to make her a viable character and "long lost half-sisters" is big cliche (not that cliche's are inherently bad).

    Carol barely interacts with her brother as is.
    Be nice if they found a way to use Carol’s brother it could be a cool way to kind of parallel with DC given Capt. Marvel Jr. over there. Are the nega bands being used? What about The Protector alias?

  13. #733
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Iím honestly glad their playing more with the retcon. Using Carol stories to show more of Hala, the culture, the technology, and history would be a really smart endless way to give Carol really intriguing stories. It honestly takes nothing away from her either. Given her powers werenít triggered till Yon-Rogg so she became a agent and a Colonel in the USAF on her own merits, that stuff still being able to be played with.

  14. #734
    Astonishing Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I’m honestly glad their playing more with the retcon. Using Carol stories to show more of Hala, the culture, the technology, and history would be a really smart endless way to give Carol really intriguing stories. It honestly takes nothing away from her either. Given her powers weren’t triggered till Yon-Rogg so she became a agent and a Colonel in the USAF on her own merits, that stuff still being able to be played with.
    It retcons her interest in space as biological as well as why her father treated her the way it did, so it does take away her relatability quite a bit. Not to mention the fact that she was only as good an agent as she was because her mom was.

    But Lauri-El isn't any better or worse than Car-El, I guess.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 07-17-2020 at 03:30 PM.

  15. #735
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Aliens are fictional. Her having a bred in curiosity about the stars and beyond doesn’t make her any less relatable. I’m sure there’s people out there who feel they were born with desires and curiosities of the same sort. Heck I’d say the people really big on Zodiac stuff are those people. I’d argue her actions are why she’s where she’s at.

    Lore wise I think it was a really great idea to make her half-Kree heck now she’s in the Aquaman/Namor/Jon Kent bracket of being a hybrid from two different worlds trope.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •