Page 50 of 108 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Aliens are fictional. Her having a bred in curiosity about the stars and beyond doesn’t make her any less relatable. I’m sure there’s people out there who feel they were born with desires and curiosities of the same sort. Heck I’d say the people really big on Zodiac stuff are those people. I’d argue her actions are why she’s where she’s at.

Lore wise I think it was a really great idea to make her half-Kree heck now she’s in the Aquaman/Namor/Jon Kent bracket of being a hybrid from two different worlds trope.
    Carol was never that type of person. Yes, aliens are fictional, but this is a fictional universe. Her character has always been who she is as an individual, but now we keep hearing about how she's only like this because of how she was born. Carol didn't need to be retconned as a hybrid anymore than Dr. Strange needs to be part demon, orPeter Parker needs to be half spider alien.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Carol was never that type of person. Yes, aliens are fictional, but this is a fictional universe. Her character has always been who she is as an individual, but now we keep hearing about how she's only like this because of how she was born. Carol didn't need to be retconned as a hybrid anymore than Dr. Strange needs to be part demon, orPeter Parker needs to be half spider alien.
    No body is saying she needs to be anything. Peter Parker being bit by a radioactive Spider his trademark origin. Stephen Strange being a human who went through a life altering accident is his.

The retcon doesn’t change the fact Carol was involved a accident with a Kree device it just makes it less Hal Jordan and more on the genetic material she had in her genetics. It really does nothing to hurt the character and offers more potential than any take away.

No body is saying she needs to be anything. Peter Parker being bit by a radioactive Spider his trademark origin. Stephen Strange being a human who went through a life altering accident is his.

The retcon doesn’t change the fact Carol was involved a accident with a Kree device it just makes it less Hal Jordan and more on the genetic material she had in her genetics. It really does nothing to hurt the character and offers more potential than any take away.
    You could say the exact same thing for those two other characters. "The spider bite only activated your powers!" "Your so good at magic because you inherited your fathers infernal talent! "

Carol spends most of her time in space nowadays, including interacting with the kree anyways, it doesn't really add anything that we haven't seen a dozen times over, including in Green Lantern.

I’m honestly glad their playing more with the retcon. Using Carol stories to show more of Hala, the culture, the technology, and history would be a really smart endless way to give Carol really intriguing stories. It honestly takes nothing away from her either. Given her powers weren’t triggered till Yon-Rogg so she became a agent and a Colonel in the USAF on her own merits, that stuff still being able to be played with.
    I mean, I think it changes her character a lot, but it just depends on how the writers play it. Either it's superflous aspect to her character or it isn't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Everyone keeps saying this here and elsewhere and I'm like... L'Oreal and Lauri-Ell don't have the same pronunciation to me . Like, at all. :x
    first thing that popped into my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I bet they chose a name that could easily translate to a Human name. Laurel Danvers?
    Then go with Lor-Ell

BANNED

You could say the exact same thing for those two other characters. "The spider bite only activated your powers!" "Your so good at magic because you inherited your fathers infernal talent! "

Carol spends most of her time in space nowadays, including interacting with the kree anyways, it doesn't really add anything that we haven't seen a dozen times over, including in Green Lantern.
    Magic isn’t innate with Dr. Strange though a big thing about his recent runs is that it has a price and he uses stuff from the world around him. Carol’s retcon doesn’t really contradict anything, her personality and characteristics are all based on how the writer decides to portray her. Her powerset remains the same, her accomplishments remain the same. The only thing you could argue is her drive is being illustrated as greater which isn’t a bad thing at all. If you want something go get it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I think it changes her character a lot, but it just depends on how the writers play it. Either it's superflous aspect to her character or it isn't.
    I mean it changes aspects in directions the writers are able to go. But fundamental aspects of who the character is, her powerset, accomplishments don’t get discredited because of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of get it from a standpoint of Carol's current origin, it makes sense, and Thompson will probably write her in a very likeable way...but I'm not convinced the current origin will stick enough to make her a viable character and "long lost half-sisters" is big cliche (not that cliche's are inherently bad).

Carol barely interacts with her brother as is.
    Be nice if they found a way to use Carol’s brother it could be a cool way to kind of parallel with DC given Capt. Marvel Jr. over there. Are the nega bands being used? What about The Protector alias?
    No need to make him a super...just have her family show up from time to time and be in her life. Considering she has a Marvel Cave under the house as seen in Incoming....it would make sense to see her there...and with her family...a little more.

And if they were to super him...it does not need to be a power set that mirrors hers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    No need to make him a super...just have her family show up from time to time and be in her life. Considering she has a Marvel Cave under the house as seen in Incoming....it would make sense to see her there...and with her family...a little more.

And if they were to super him...it does not need to be a power set that mirrors hers.
    I think the Nega Bands are different enough to make him stand on his own? Regardless it would be nice to see her last living Earth relative more. Hopefully he doesn’t get killed off

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While I would very much like to see her brother become a regular fixture in the book, I would rather see him stay normal human as a counterpoint to the alien half sister as a way to give Carol a grounding point.

Extraordinary Member

I think the Nega Bands are different enough to make him stand on his own? Regardless it would be nice to see her last living Earth relative more. Hopefully he doesn’t get killed off
    I would still say to do something else. Maybe cosmic ray him....and have him NOT be a super hero..even if he gets powered. He just wants to live a normal life. But will get involved if his sister asks.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    While I would very much like to see her brother become a regular fixture in the book, I would rather see him stay normal human as a counterpoint to the alien half sister as a way to give Carol a grounding point.
    Which is probably why he hasn't appeared in a while...

Magic isn’t innate with Dr. Strange though a big thing about his recent runs is that it has a price and he uses stuff from the world around him. Carol’s retcon doesn’t really contradict anything, her personality and characteristics are all based on how the writer decides to portray her. Her powerset remains the same, her accomplishments remain the same. The only thing you could argue is her drive is being illustrated as greater which isn’t a bad thing at all. If you want something go get it
    But he's always been presented as being incredibly talented with magic, more than anyone on the planet. And by "her personality is just based on how writers portray her"... That could literally apply to ANYTHING in the story! By that logic, why get invested in a character if their traits are changed at the drop of a hat? And yes, her accomplishments are different now because her motives and means have changed. Now she's only good at these things and enjoys these things because she's genetically driven towards these things. If anything her drive is actually lessend because it's not hers anymore, it's her mothers and her races.

BANNED

But he's always been presented as being incredibly talented with magic, more than anyone on the planet. And by "her personality is just based on how writers portray her"... That could literally apply to ANYTHING in the story! By that logic, why get invested in a character if their traits are changed at the drop of a hat? And yes, her accomplishments are different now because her motives and means have changed. Now she's only good at these things and enjoys these things because she's genetically driven towards these things. If anything her drive is actually lessend because it's not hers anymore, it's her mothers and her races.
    I can see the attempt of f making the connection but still don’t think it works as a comparison. I’d imagine being demon would make the magic innate something it’s not often portrayed as besides the recent appearance in Captain Marvel where it came off as an innate ability. You’re example doesn’t make sense because she wasn’t physically different until the Kree accident with device that unlocked her power. That’s what I got from the explanation atleast it just released what was inside her. That’s pretty much the only difference. Heck if anything I find the retcon more relatable. I’m Nigerian but was born in the US and grew up knowing US culture but I yearn to learn more about my lineage and family heritage.

I don’t remember it saying she’s driven to these things because of being half Kree now that I think about it but I could be missing something that was stated in the actual book?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I don’t really see him as someone who would ground Carol in any way honestly. Given where he’s based and where she’s normally at I’d be surprised if he even appears again this year. She’s still human even without JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I would still say to do something else. Maybe cosmic ray him....and have him NOT be a super hero..even if he gets powered. He just wants to live a normal life. But will get involved if his sister asks.
    I don’t get what you mean by Cosmic Ray him? But I like the concept of having powers but not really wanting to do the heroics, somewhat like Wonderman? Who doesn’t want to fight anyone