Page 52 of 108 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't really see any reason why they would change her origin again. I know a lot of people were under the impression that they would try to make her origin be more in line with the movies, but it's been more than a year since the Captain Marvel movie came out, and if they wanted something that mirrors that in anyway, it would've happened by now. Instead, they're doubling down on her Kree heritage. And now that I think about it, I feel like future movies might even be inspired by the current origin, since we saw very little of Carol's biological family in her first movie. I could see them saying one of her parents was Kree, after all. It would certainly explain why she doesn't seem to age in that universe.

But yes, I agree she should interact with her brother more.
    On-top of everything else they established about her origin I don't think they'll add Half-Kree on-top of that, but I guess you never know.

I just don't think the comics will stay out-of-sync with Carol's main media portrayals which seem to go for a pure human caught up in Kree experimentation (which precludes the family aspect from reaching far beyond the comics). But I guess it's not something you can really write out at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On-top of everything else they established about her origin I don't think they'll add Half-Kree on-top of that, but I guess you never know.

I just don't think the comics will stay out-of-sync with Carol's main media portrayals which seem to go for a pure human caught up in Kree experimentation (which precludes the family aspect from reaching far beyond the comics). But I guess it's not something you can really write out at this point.
    Actually, being "Half-Kree" on her mother's "Marie (Mari-Ell) Danvers side worked well in the pages.

Ms. Marvel #13 (January, 1978)
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-21-2020 at 05:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Because personality traits being inborn is racist and not compelling, especially since pre-retcon she had it BECAUSE of her father limiting her and not because he was trying to keep her from contacting aliens.
    Pre retcon she had it because of her being a sci fi fan.
    She excelled and pushed herself inspite of her dad's sexism not because of it
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 07-18-2020 at 01:31 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I don’t get how he even ever abused her? Limiting her? I don’t think he ever actively touched her in a abusive manner and as far as we know he didn’t degrade her with words unless the limiting herself was a form of mental abuse?

Regardless yeah we’d probably end up disagreeing I’m not saying it isn’t a change I’m just saying it’s more beneficial for Carol than not. Given it opens up a lot of doors
    Man he beat the **** out of er in the 80s for going to cape canaveral as a teenager
    and I certainly got emotional abuse from him regardless
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 07-18-2020 at 01:30 AM.

BANNED

But I guess it's not something you can really write out at this point.
    its extremely easy. She has so many reality warpers in her lore

The Storyteller (gavin). You can literally write it like he made a fanfiction because he wanted to mold carol according his thoughts and views and killed her mom. You can write it like him being an allusion of editorial who was upset that she had powers from mar-vell.
    Magnitron aka Yon-Rogg. This dude can create whole ass constructs with his power which is a wishing well.

You can go back to the time she had her mind wiped and suddenly had all her memories back with no explanation and delete the past 6 years including civil war II or retcon it.

Personally, I am fine with the half-Kree retcon. For one, I am not a life-long Carol fan and I have always been a fan more of her space-faring, solo Captain Marvel adventures than of her more grounded stories and traits (Not that I dislike them either, I just have a preference with the former) so I think tying her heritage to the Kree and giving her a half-alien sister is definitively an interesting interaction. As others said, I would like to see how she plays off between her grounded Earth origin and her ties with space and the Kree.

Furthermore, I don't see the issue about it, really. To me it mostly adds on top as opposed to subtracting from her already established origins. From what I remember, The Life of Captain Marvel didn't outright say that Carol was drawn to space because of her genes or something along those lines (although it is a logical conclusion to draw) but it mostly explained why her alien warrior mother didn't step up for her (Which, I'll concede, is one of the sillier things about the retcon. Her mother is space Wonder Woman and she can't stop her drunken human husband?) But otherwise that doesn't change the experiences Carol had on Earth, her likes or who she is entirely, at least not until she learned of her true origins. So again, I am very interested to see where they will take all these plot lines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Pre retcon she had it because of her being a sci fi fan.
    She excelled and pushed herself inspite of her dad's sexism not because of it
    So it’s a deep routed attraction to space because of heritage vs being a sci-fi fan. Her doing what she wants still isn’t inspite of her father despite the fact she did want to show her father preretcon she’s just as capable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Personally, I am fine with the half-Kree retcon. For one, I am not a life-long Carol fan and I have always been a fan more of her space-faring, solo Captain Marvel adventures than of her more grounded stories and traits (Not that I dislike them either, I just have a preference with the former) so I think tying her heritage to the Kree and giving her a half-alien sister is definitively an interesting interaction. As others said, I would like to see how she plays off between her grounded Earth origin and her ties with space and the Kree.

Furthermore, I don't see the issue about it, really. To me it mostly adds on top as opposed to subtracting from her already established origins. From what I remember, The Life of Captain Marvel didn't outright say that Carol was drawn to space because of her genes or something along those lines (although it is a logical conclusion to draw) but it mostly explained why her alien warrior mother didn't step up for her (Which, I'll concede, is one of the sillier things about the retcon. Her mother is space Wonder Woman and she can't stop her drunken human husband?) But otherwise that doesn't change the experiences Carol had on Earth, her likes or who she is entirely, at least not until she learned of her true origins. So again, I am very interested to see where they will take all these plot lines.
    Could be a heritage thing. The Being Kree could be the explanation on why her mother never stepped in because of cultural reasons her idea of discipline and hardships growing up was different than most mothers. My parents being Nigerian I could relate to that, cause there definition of discipline is different from why America would probably deem acceptable. All speculation ofcourse but we do see flashbacks of her Mother being trained to fight and kill at a young age, and the Kree are depicted as a savage race in terms of stuff like that.

I definitely agree the retcon gives Carol more in terms of lore to explore.

BANNED

So it’s a deep routed attraction to space because of heritage vs being a sci-fi fan. Her doing what she wants still isn’t inspite of her father despite the fact she did want to show her father preretcon she’s just as capable.
    I don't think she wanted to show him she's just as capable (atleast around the age she wanted to go to college). She knew he won't accept her as that, she only hoped that he would, but her drive was internal from her childhood experiences and curiosity in sci fi.

Which is what I mean by her going to the military inspite of her dad's objections, rather than being driven by it to show him otherwise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I don't think she wanted to show him she's just as capable (atleast around the age she wanted to go to college). She knew he won't accept her as that, she only hoped that he would, but her drive was internal from her childhood experiences and curiosity in sci fi.

Which is what I mean by her going to the military inspite of her dad's objections, rather than being driven by it to show him otherwise.
    I don’t see how the retcon paints her as being driven to show her father otherwise either. If anything it just places more tension and suggest she was troubled with his perception on women not being able to do things men can. Her accomplishments could/are still illustrated as her desire to do those things. It’s just one more element into the mix as to why she’s driven, it doesn’t take away from the curios sci-fi or her childhood experiences it just adds to it.

BANNED

I don’t see how the retcon paints her as being driven to show her father otherwise either. If anything it just places more tension and suggest she was troubled with his perception on women not being able to do things men can. Her accomplishments could/are still illustrated as her desire to do those things. It’s just one more element into the mix as to why she’s driven, it doesn’t take away from the curios sci-fi or her childhood experiences it just adds to it.
    Im not criticizing the retcon with this, Im criticizing someone elses criticism of the retcon based on their idea of carols prior motivations

who is the half sister? what is her backstory? did she grow up on a kree planet or on Earth? Is she older or younger?

Considering her name, she has the same mother (Carol's mother was called Mari-Ell) and a different father (probably a blue Kree, considering Mari was a pink Kree - Carol's father was human). She will have been raised on Hala or a Kree colony, and should be older, born before Mari came to earth and married Carol's father, becoming Marie Danvers. If it was the other way around and Carol's father had a relationship with a second Kree, Lauri would have a different surname instead of Ell.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Considering her name, she has the same mother (Carol's mother was called Mari-Ell) and a different father (probably a blue Kree, considering Mari was a pink Kree - Carol's father was human). She will have been raised on Hala or a Kree colony, and should be older, born before Mari came to earth and married Carol's father, becoming Marie Danvers. If it was the other way around and Carol's father had a relationship with a second Kree, Lauri would have a different surname instead of Ell.
    I wonder how a patriacal society somehow ended up with -ell as the family name, especially a racist one with blue supremacy

Sure you can, just make it be a big Kree conspiracy. That wasn't Carol's mom, that was an actress. If it worked for Aunt May when she died...