Page 55 of 108 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I still don’t see it like that her old origin still stands it just goes further back than what we thought it did now due to the retcon. She still got her powers from the Kree device it was just activated rather than being given to her. She still yearned to be able to fight beside Mar-Vell, stuff like Generations shows she still fought to stand on her own as her own woman, and it doesn’t change the House of M stuff either. She’s still that same character she just has a lineage that goes further back now and instead of getting her powers from Mar-Vell she got it from her mother, but activated due to her fate of meeting Mar-Vell. I see it as a addition not a take away.

Carol also never really sought power in the same way Star did. The philosophy could still be in place in a different way. Carol was given power unexpectedly, and was born with power due to her genetics. Where as opposed to her Star went and sought out power.
    The difference is Genetics vs Drive in a way. Almost a Superman vs Lex situation where the villain envies the hero despite the hero being who they are despite their powers.

Carol didn’t seek power from the Kree Device she wanted to help Mar-Vell as a equal. It was to not be a damsel. Not her wanting to have super powers. The Brood experimentation wasn’t of her own free will. Star on the other hand purposely went and sought out powers from Minn-Erva and then when she lost those she unexpectedly got the reality stone. So in a way it’s a reverse situation. Carol originally wanting to be Mar-Vell’s equal her abilities being activated by chance and then later on being experimented. While Star was experimented on first lost her abilities (similar) and then by chance got the reality stone.

My main issue is that it says that Carol’s powers come from her being part Kree. Described in the story as an ancient Kree defence mechanism. But it is not compatible in how the Kree have been depicted up to this point. The Kree don’t have powers, it is such a universal fact about them that it has driven a lot of the fictional races' motivation. Ronan uses his universal weapon, Mar-vell the Nega Bands, Minerva replicats Carol’s powers using the psyche-magnetron, the only known method for Kree to get powers. It is sorta like having a retcon that says Skrull don’t and never have had shape shifting powers. But here comes the Life of Captain Marvel essentially saying everything you knew about the Kree is wrong.

Even if a do assume that Carol could get powers from being Kree, why did they activate specifically at that point. I mean it's not like Carol hadn’t been in life threatening situations before, we know that she has been tortured at least twice, and then there are all the perilous situations with Mar-Vell up to that point. And on the subject of Mar-Vell, he got his powers from the Nega Bands and has been in just as much if not perilous as Carol including the incident with the psyche-magnetron. Why didn’t he get those in born Kree powers? What about all the other Kree, who as a societal mandate throughout their long history are put in life threatening situations from early childhood to become soldiers , all of them never managed to manifest any form of powers.

While Carol’s mother being a Kree technically doesn’t break anything, the notion that she received powers from her mother does. As the Kree, the single largest part of the Captain Marvel mythology, as a rule do not have powers.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VirusChan View Post
    My main issue is that it says that Carol’s powers come from her being part Kree. Described in the story as an ancient Kree defence mechanism. But it is not compatible in how the Kree have been depicted up to this point. The Kree don’t have powers, it is such a universal fact about them that it has driven a lot of the fictional races' motivation. Ronan uses his universal weapon, Mar-vell the Nega Bands, Minerva replicats Carol’s powers using the psyche-magnetron, the only known method for Kree to get powers. It is sorta like having a retcon that says Skrull don’t and never have had shape shifting powers. But here comes the Life of Captain Marvel essentially saying everything you knew about the Kree is wrong.

Even if a do assume that Carol could get powers from being Kree, why did they activate specifically at that point. I mean it's not like Carol hadn’t been in life threatening situations before, we know that she has been tortured at least twice, and then there are all the perilous situations with Mar-Vell up to that point. And on the subject of Mar-Vell, he got his powers from the Nega Bands and has been in just as much if not perilous as Carol including the incident with the psyche-magnetron. Why didn’t he get those in born Kree powers? What about all the other Kree, who as a societal mandate throughout their long history are put in life threatening situations from early childhood to become soldiers , all of them never managed to manifest any form of powers.

While Carol’s mother being a Kree technically doesn’t break anything, the notion that she received powers from her mother does. As the Kree, the single largest part of the Captain Marvel mythology, as a rule do not have powers.
    Carol getting powers from being Kree is really not much of an issue, and there are logical ways to explain it. First of all, Mar-Vell's vast powers didn't only come from the Nega-Bands. Mar-Vell went through four different power enhancements scenarios, and only one of them was due to the Nega-Bands. On the other three occasions, his Kree nature was modified on a genetic level. So he is an example that a regular Kree can be mutated into being super-powered, even without the Psyche-Magnitron. Not only that, but at least two of his children (Genis and Phyla-Vell) have exhibited some of his energy-based powers, so Carol wasn't even the first half-Kree to inherit powers from her lineage. It's important to point out that Genis and Phyla, much like Carol, were also hybrids, so that's another thing that makes them different from the regular Kree. The thing with the Kree not evolving genetically was always a problem within their own species; once they start mixing, the results can be unexpected. We don't have many known Kree hybrids out there, but the few ones we have seem to be all powerful, so that's a pattern to be considered.

Based on this, we can come up with a few explanations to Carol having powers:

1. Carol's mom was a mutate Kree, and Carol simply inherited those genes, making her a mutate Kree too.
    2. Carol, being the result of an inter-species relationship, got mutated genes.

And keep in mind that the Psyche-Magnitron incident still happened, so who knows what effect that could've had on a Kree who already has ''special genes''. Maybe it made her more powerful than a regular Kree would be because of it. The Brood experiments also still happened, so she was boosted more than once. The way that I see it, there's a combination of factors that made Carol as powerful as she is today. If you establish that she's not a regular Kree, her powers don't have to work/manifest in a regular way. It's an easy way to explain it without having to change much about the entire species.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-20-2020 at 01:37 AM.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #22 WRITTEN BY KELLY THOMPSON, ART BY LEE GARBETT, COVER BY JORGE MOLINA

IT’S A BRAVE NEW WORLD – AND THE START OF A BRAND-NEW ARC!

New York City is under attack—but this time, Captain Marvel can’t save them. Carol Danvers faces new villain, someone who will be both familiar and strange...

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...n-october-2020
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

CAPTAIN MARVEL #22 WRITTEN BY KELLY THOMPSON, ART BY LEE GARBETT, COVER BY JORGE MOLINA

IT’S A BRAVE NEW WORLD – AND THE START OF A BRAND-NEW ARC!

New York City is under attack—but this time, Captain Marvel can’t save them. Carol Danvers faces new villain, someone who will be both familiar and strange...

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...n-october-2020
    Gorgeous cover!!

Now i'm excited to see who the new villain is going to be.
    Last edited by AndersonHoran; 07-21-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Love that Thompson is throwing out new villains. I hope at least one or two of them stick and can become regulars in Carols rogues

BANNED

"oh i wonder who the new villain is"

its lauriell, its her sister thats pretty obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Carol getting powers from being Kree is really not much of an issue, and there are logical ways to explain it. First of all, Mar-Vell's vast powers didn't only come from the Nega-Bands. Mar-Vell went through four different power enhancements scenarios, and only one of them was due to the Nega-Bands. On the other three occasions, his Kree nature was modified on a genetic level. So he is an example that a regular Kree can be mutated into being super-powered, even without the Psyche-Magnitron. Not only that, but at least two of his children (Genis and Phyla-Vell) have exhibited some of his energy-based powers, so Carol wasn't even the first half-Kree to inherit powers from her lineage. It's important to point out that Genis and Phyla, much like Carol, were also hybrids, so that's another thing that makes them different from the regular Kree. The thing with the Kree not evolving genetically was always a problem within their own species; once they start mixing, the results can be unexpected. We don't have many known Kree hybrids out there, but the few ones we have seem to be all powerful, so that's a pattern to be considered.

Based on this, we can come up with a few explanations to Carol having powers:

1. Carol's mom was a mutate Kree, and Carol simply inherited those genes, making her a mutate Kree too.
    2. Carol, being the result of an inter-species relationship, got mutated genes.

And keep in mind that the Psyche-Magnitron incident still happened, so who knows what effect that could've had on a Kree who already has ''special genes''. Maybe it made her more powerful than a regular Kree would be because of it. The Brood experiments also still happened, so she was boosted more than once. The way that I see it, there's a combination of factors that made Carol as powerful as she is today. If you establish that she's not a regular Kree, her powers don't have to work/manifest in a regular way. It's an easy way to explain it without having to change much about the entire species.
    That's a reasonable theory, but it goes against what we've been told so far, with Mari-Ell explicitly making it sound like all kree are like this. If Kelly Thompson or whoever quietly retcons it to be what you've described, fine, but until then we've got a noticeable continuity gaff in the name of making Carol's powers "hers".

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    "oh i wonder who the new villain is"

its lauriell, its her sister thats pretty obvious
    I kind of doubt Kelly Thompson is going to go the obvious "long-lost sibling who turns evil" cliche.

I kind of think it might be Star? Or that misogynist guy from the first arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of doubt Kelly Thompson is going to go the obvious "long-lost sibling who turns evil" cliche.
    +

That would be too predictable.

Going back to Star seems too rushed.

It says "new villain", so I'm guessing it's someone we haven't seen before.

BANNED

Pretty dope moment in Empyre 2 for carol in terms of manipulating energy and her sense of sacrifice

Just another Captain Marvel promo shot I altered a bit to make it look closer to what I believe Carol should have looked like e.g. the blue eyes, different hair, etc. Just small things.

Just read Empyre, great moments for Carol.

Carol after telling Tony she saw a Skrull getting turned into a tree but he didn't listen to her

rrr.jpg