Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 209
  1. #46
    Spectacular Member doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212

    Default

    \
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Here’s my mid-month tally:

    Uncanny X-Men #182-188 (7) - Last year I blitzed through every X-Men-related comic from Giant-Size up through Age of Apocalypse, not having read them before. I enjoyed Claremont’s run so much I decided to read it again but a bit more slowly, to get more out of it, so I’ve been slipping some of those issues in when I can.
    Marvel Fanfare #40 (1) - part of Claremont’s run.
    New Mutants (1983) #16-23 (8) - Ditto; not planning to read every X-book again, but at least Claremont’s New Mutants deserves a more careful read.
    X-Men (2019) #4 (1) - Enjoying the new X-books so far, even if House of X/Powers of X and this main book have been wayyyy decompressed.
    Marauders #5 (1) - So much fun!
    Excalibur (2019) #5 (1) - Love Marcus To’s art (been a fan since his Red Robin days) and this is also entertaining enough for me to keep reading, though kind of middle-tier for me thus far.
    New Mutants (2019) #5 (1) - Really digging this one, though I feel like if you don’t know much or have a feel for the various characters you might not get as much out of it, but I could be wrong.
    X-Force (2019) #5 (1) - So far this is kind of the action movie of the current X-books. Competent and gory and... fine?

    Total so far: 131
    I did the same thing with the X-men books a few years back. Never read them when I was a kid, but started at Giant Size and read up to Fatal Attractions. I loved it to death, to the point I’d say those are my favorite superhero comics now. Seeing you’re rereading them makes me want to run back through them!

  2. #47
    Mighty Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    A more informal post.

    I finally completed Reign of the Supermen (in old mexican editions, so there're differences to how it has been collected in the US) so I decided to do re-reading of Death of Superman and RotS. DoS is just as I remembered it. Functional. It doesn't add anything interesting nor does it has anything particularly bad. It does get bland at parts and it's way too long for what it's trying to tell. I don't get why Doomsday needed that scene watching the battle arena for an event in Metropolis, since he was heading that way beforehand, and there're some usual problems from a crossover, like Superman deciding to abandon a family to catch Doomsday because he thinks that should be the priority and the next issue starting with Superman saying that he thought the JL could handle the family (which wasn't his idea the previous issue), which happens when there's a change in writers from issue to issue.

    RotS does get clunky at parts, and it shares a lot of the problems DoS has, but overall, I think it's a more enjoyable story and I like it for how the over the top it's. Besides, I think the four Supermen are entertaining and they do not overstay their welcome

    I also added Emerald Twilight to the re-read and sadly it holds itself more blandy that I remembered
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    A pretty slow week for me as I got into other projects.

    Alpha Flight - 2
    Amazing Spiderman - 6
    Black Cat - 2
    Daredevil - 3
    Tales to Astonish - 3
    Thor - 3
    Flash - 6
    Lois Lane - 1
    Superman - 1


    Total - 27
    Monthly Total - 202


    My favorite out of this bunch is the Black Cat. I think that may be one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now. It has never failed to entertain me.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  4. #49
    Incredible Member Dick Grayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    \

    I did the same thing with the X-men books a few years back. Never read them when I was a kid, but started at Giant Size and read up to Fatal Attractions. I loved it to death, to the point I’d say those are my favorite superhero comics now. Seeing you’re rereading them makes me want to run back through them!
    If you do, post your thoughts here! I’m continually amazed at how easily and often Claremont creates new characters and concepts that have depth and staying power, as well as how much he packs into each issue. Even with the phrases he overuses (“no quarter asked, and none given”, “balance the scales”, etc.) it’s still consistently good stuff. I was bummed when Magneto was turned back into an angry supervillain, as the period where he’s trying to be good but struggles with it is particularly enjoyable, and I’m just about at that point in my re-read.

  5. #50
    Spectacular Member doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    If you do, post your thoughts here! I’m continually amazed at how easily and often Claremont creates new characters and concepts that have depth and staying power, as well as how much he packs into each issue. Even with the phrases he overuses (“no quarter asked, and none given”, “balance the scales”, etc.) it’s still consistently good stuff. I was bummed when Magneto was turned back into an angry supervillain, as the period where he’s trying to be good but struggles with it is particularly enjoyable, and I’m just about at that point in my re-read.
    I had a response all typed up, and my laptop battery died just as I was pressing send. We'll pretend it was the greatest post in the world, and this will serve as a tribute to that post.

    Having read through Claremont's full run, you realize how to this day every X-Men story calls back to him. Claremont IS the X-Men. And the cliches become so comfortable and fun after awhile. I got to a point where I smiled every time I read, "I'm near invulnerable when I'm blastin'," or, "The focused totality of my telepathic power."

    As for what I'm reading, I didn't wind up starting back at Giant Size. Instead, I picked up where my X-Men run petered out, with the Fatal Attractions Omnibus. I enjoyed it for the most part, though what I enjoyed were the event's lead-in issues, namely X-Factor and Uncanny. The event itself was hard to enjoy. I'm like you, Dick, with how I enjoy Magneto - conflicted and honorable. In Fatal Attractions, his voice seems to change each issue. One issue, he's reserved and thoughtful. The next, he's an angry psychopath. The issue after that, he's still a psychopath, but now twice as angry.

    Up next is the Legion Quest OHC, which I'm already 3/4 of the way through. I'm liking it. So far, the issues have been self-contained issues of Unlimited and an annual, all enjoyable. Even though I'm a significant way into the book, there's been no sign of Legion nor his quest. I guess that's all packed at the back.

    Issues read so far this year: 31 + whatever I've read in Legion Quest

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    I am posting my weekly list early today. I am not reading any comics today. It is my Manga day today and I am just not in the mood for that. Would rather read Marvel but I cant bring myself to read a comic company when it is not on its assigned day.

    Here is my list.

    Batman White Knight - 8
    Cruse of the White Knight - 6
    Anext - 1
    Daredevil - 4
    J2 - 6
    Moribus - 3
    Spiderman - 7
    Valkyrie Jane Foster - 1
    Battle Royale - 24


    Weekly Total - 61
    Monthly Total - 263


    The best of the week was for sure White Knight and Curse of the White Knight. I have to say these are the best Batman stories I have read in many years. I recommend them to any batman fan.
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-27-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  7. #52
    Mighty Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    January: 143 comics so far.

    I've devoted the last couple of days to read The Complete Ben Reilly Epic, taking advantage of summer vacations (in Chile). Last year, I read in January and February The Complete Clone Saga Epic, so I decided to end the reading of that period this year. Currently I have read half of these collected editions and I can't say I enjoy most of it. Art is fine most of the time, thank to some classic pencillers of Spidey, and some cool inkers and colorists too, but the scripts are often poorly done. What I think plays a great role in how bad this turned out to be are the constant and neverending crossovers. Of course, this is my personal opinion, as I know there're big fans of these stories

    I also have keep on with the re-reading of Tom King's Batman and I'm thinking in re-read the whole Knightfall era, contemplating also the time Jean Paul was Batman and his downfall. So this summer vacations may be plagued by 90s crossover, since I read Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen too. But from the bunch, Knightfall is a crossover I really admire and love
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  8. #53
    Spectacular Member doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    January: 143 comics so far.

    I've devoted the last couple of days to read The Complete Ben Reilly Epic, taking advantage of summer vacations (in Chile). Last year, I read in January and February The Complete Clone Saga Epic, so I decided to end the reading of that period this year. Currently I have read half of these collected editions and I can't say I enjoy most of it. Art is fine most of the time, thank to some classic pencillers of Spidey, and some cool inkers and colorists too, but the scripts are often poorly done. What I think plays a great role in how bad this turned out to be are the constant and neverending crossovers. Of course, this is my personal opinion, as I know there're big fans of these stories

    I also have keep on with the re-reading of Tom King's Batman and I'm thinking in re-read the whole Knightfall era, contemplating also the time Jean Paul was Batman and his downfall. So this summer vacations may be plagued by 90s crossover, since I read Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen too. But from the bunch, Knightfall is a crossover I really admire and love
    Everyone here is kicking my ass so far on number of books read! Nice work!

    As part of my 2020 reading, I'm trying to read through a lot of my Omnibus and OHC collection. I have my eye on the two Clone Saga and one Ben Reilly omnis. Your feedback is not getting me excited, friend!

  9. #54
    Incredible Member Dick Grayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    I had a response all typed up, and my laptop battery died just as I was pressing send. We'll pretend it was the greatest post in the world, and this will serve as a tribute to that post.

    Having read through Claremont's full run, you realize how to this day every X-Men story calls back to him. Claremont IS the X-Men. And the cliches become so comfortable and fun after awhile. I got to a point where I smiled every time I read, "I'm near invulnerable when I'm blastin'," or, "The focused totality of my telepathic power."

    As for what I'm reading, I didn't wind up starting back at Giant Size. Instead, I picked up where my X-Men run petered out, with the Fatal Attractions Omnibus. I enjoyed it for the most part, though what I enjoyed were the event's lead-in issues, namely X-Factor and Uncanny. The event itself was hard to enjoy. I'm like you, Dick, with how I enjoy Magneto - conflicted and honorable. In Fatal Attractions, his voice seems to change each issue. One issue, he's reserved and thoughtful. The next, he's an angry psychopath. The issue after that, he's still a psychopath, but now twice as angry.

    Up next is the Legion Quest OHC, which I'm already 3/4 of the way through. I'm liking it. So far, the issues have been self-contained issues of Unlimited and an annual, all enjoyable. Even though I'm a significant way into the book, there's been no sign of Legion nor his quest. I guess that's all packed at the back.

    Issues read so far this year: 31 + whatever I've read in Legion Quest
    It’s too bad these boards don’t auto save replies to threads like some other boards. I’ll pour one out for your lost epic post.

    I love “I’m invulnerable when I’m blastin’” but the other overused phrases tend to grate on me for whatever reason. It’s a very minor issue though.

    Agreed on the portrayal of Magneto in Fatal Attractions, it’s all over the map. Like a lot of immediate post-Claremont stuff, there are some good and even great ideas in there, but the execution could have been better. But as I recall, LegionQuest is decent, and then you get to Age of Apocalypse which I enjoyed well enough (though presumably since there’s no nostalgia factor involved for me, I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as some). If you get past that, you’ll have to report in if it’s worth me picking things back up, as that’s where I stopped before.

  10. #55
    Spectacular Member doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212

    Default

    I just finished LegionQuest today, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll be starting Age of Apocalypse next. Like you, I didn't read it when it came out, so there's no nostalgia for it. I read it in the early 2000s, but that was before I had read the entirety of Claremont's work. I'm sure I'll get a lot more out of it this time.

    After AoA, the last X-Men omni I have is Onslaught, which I plan to read. I don't have high hopes for that one, but of course I'll report back when I'm through.

  11. #56
    All-New Member KurganAU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Deactivating lurk mode and jumping on board this year. Reading a mix of digital and physical

    January so far

    Rogue & Gambit #1 - #5
    X-Men Gold #30
    Mr and Mrs X #1 - #12
    Fables #1 - #62
    Jack of Fables #1 - #12
    Gail Simone Red Sonja #1 - #6

    Total = 98
    Last edited by KurganAU; 01-30-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: End of Jan update

  12. #57
    Mighty Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Everyone here is kicking my ass so far on number of books read! Nice work!

    As part of my 2020 reading, I'm trying to read through a lot of my Omnibus and OHC collection. I have my eye on the two Clone Saga and one Ben Reilly omnis. Your feedback is not getting me excited, friend!
    I have really a lot of free time in this time of year, so I doubt I will be able to keep the passing moving forward, but I will try to make the most I can of these months.

    About the Clone Saga-Ben Reilly Epic, there are definitely some good material, most of it written by J.M DeMatteis, like Lost Years, ASM #400 and Redemption. Once Peter and Ben share the title in Ben Reilly Epic, the quality does get better. I guess Howard Mackie's thoughts in the Wikipedia text dedicated to the Clone Saga summarizes my opinion perfectly: "Mackie remarked that the length of the saga resulted in so many conflicting plot elements that even though most of these individual elements were popular, it was almost impossible for any reader to embrace the saga as a whole". There're many tidbits of great stuff, but they're brought down by the editorial mess that was going on behind the scenes and some poor narrative decisions.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Everyone here is kicking my ass so far on number of books read! Nice work!
    I have a lot of free time. More then most people. When I am not taking care of my dad all I really do is read comics or write and writing has taken a bit of a back seat. Like i said in another post I most of the time read about 10 issues a day but have gone as high as 20 issues a few days this year. Kinda makes me look lame with all I read but it really helps me.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  14. #59
    Spectacular Member doolittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I have a lot of free time. More then most people. When I am not taking care of my dad all I really do is read comics or write and writing has taken a bit of a back seat. Like i said in another post I most of the time read about 10 issues a day but have gone as high as 20 issues a few days this year. Kinda makes me look lame with all I read but it really helps me.
    Doesn't make you look lame in my book. Caring for a loved one has to be hard, and I'm sure comics are a nice escape.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Doesn't make you look lame in my book. Caring for a loved one has to be hard, and I'm sure comics are a nice escape.
    Thank you. It helps when people understand.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •