Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Hello all! This will be my third year posting in this thread. I haven't even sniffed the 1000 book mark yet. I've been hitting about 300-400 the past couple years. Let's see what 2020 brings.

1. Amazing Spiderman 37
    2. Annihilation Scourge- Fantastic Four
    3. Annihilation Scourge- Beta Ray Bill
    4. Annihilation Scourge- Silver Surfer
    5. Annihilation Scourge- Omega

The art on these books hasn't been my cup of tea, but I love all of the attention Cosmic Marvel has been getting lately.
    6. Atlantis Attacks 1
    Not a great first issue. Just a continuation of a lackluster Agents of Atlas story with a "classic" name slapped on it. Boooo.

7-8. Avengers 28-29
    9.-12.- Daredevil 13-16
    This story has been moving so slowly, but it doesn't feel decompressed. It helps that I've been reading it in chunks. Each issue is irresistable. I love it.

13.-18. Doctor Strange 15-20
    Galactus has been popping up a lot lately, but this is by far my favorite Galactus story over the last few years.

19. Doomsday Clock 12
    20-26. Flash 79-85
    27-28. Guardians of the Galaxy 11-12
    29. Immortal Hulk 29
    30. Incoming 1
    31. Invaders 12- I loved this series. I hope it finds more readers in trade.

32. Ironman 2020- Horrible. Just horrible. What a waste of a fun idea.

33. Justice League 40
    34-35. King Thor 2-3
    36. New Mutants 2
    37. Silver Surfer Black 5
    38. Avengers Tarot 1
    39. Thor 1
    40-53. Black Hammer 1-13
    54-62. The Tick 1-8
    63-69. Runaways 1-7

That's a pretty good start to the year. Forward to 1000!

Spectacular Member

How does this work? By 1000 books, is it really 1000 issues? I see people counting issues so I am assuming it's that.

1000 issues, or pages of an OGN/22, as a standard. It doesn't have to be 1000 though, can be more or less
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Spectacular Member

Recent reads for me have been:

1-17 Annihilation Omnibus: DRAX THE DESTROYER #1-4, ANNIHILATION: PROLOGUE, ANNIHILATION: NOVA #1-4, ANNIHILATION: SILVER SURFER #1-4, ANNIHILATION: SUPER-SKRULL #1-4
    18-22 Batman: The Caped Crusader Vol. 1: Batman #417-421

BANNED

This thread looks interesting. Let's see....

East of West, Volume 1: The Promise
    East of West, Volume 2: We Are All One
    East of West, Volume 3: There Is No Us
    East of West, Volume 4: Who Wants War? (till 19th issue)

Justice League International: 01-011

Invisibles Vol. 1: 01-06

Batman Earth One: 01-06

The Boys: 07-10

X-Force Vol. 3: 01-020

X-Men: Messiah Complex
    Messiah Complex: One-Shot
    Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1: 492-494
    New X-Men Vol. 2: 044-046
    X-Men Vol. 2: 205-207
    X-Factor Vol.3: 025-027

X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
    X-Force/Cable: Messiah War: One-Shot
    Lucas Bishop 01-03
    Cable: 011-015

Wolverine Vol. 2: 181-185

Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1: 150-154

X-Men Vol. 5: 04-05

X-Force Vol. 6: 05-07

Roughly 108 issues
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-17-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Here is my weekly list. I was able to finish my reading list for Marvel 1964. Took a couple of weeks but I havnt been reading hard core like I normally do.

Action - 2
    Detective - 2

Daredevil - 5
    Fantastic Four - 13
    Journey Into Mystery - 12
    Morbius - 1
    Strange Tales - 12
    Tales Of Suspense - 12
    Tale To Astonish - 12

Weekly Total - 70
    Yearly Total - 487

Best of the week. The Fantastic Four. I am loving the Kirby/Lee stuff. I also really enjoyed Morbius.

Next week I am going to finish my Dc reading list for the year 1941.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-22-2020 at 09:18 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Finished The Sheriff of Babylon deluxe edition 1-12

Total for year 52.

So behind in my reading. Have nothing to do the weekend, plan on spending it reading.
    Hoping to break the 100 mark.

February

Gail Simone Red Sonja #7 - #18 (12)
    Gail Simone Red Sonja #0 (1) - Finished off the omnibus. I would call the run good but not great, I set my expectations too high for the writing so that's on me. The art was fantastic especially in this format

Fables #63 - #99 (37)
    Fables #100 (3)
    Fables #101 - #103 (3) - Gotten past the point I'd read to previously around issue 80, back when the series was ongoing. My first reading didn't involve the spin offs either, I find myself appreciating it even more with them mixed in. Holding back on saying more until I can reflect on the entire run.

Jack of Fables #13 - #50 (38) - This got me to laugh out loud more than a few times. Jack is such an ass, I'm chuckling to myself just thinking about it now. Babe the blue ox deviations were odd at first but won me over. Overall I enjoyed the journey more than the destination. Part of me thinks good on them for ending on their terms, while the other part thinks it's an idea that sounds good in in theory but isn't satisfying for readers when you follow through.

Cinderella: From Fabletown With Love #1 - #6 (6)
    Cinderella: Fables are Forever #1 - #6 (6)
    The Literals #1 - 3 (3) - All enjoyable little tangents that flesh out the Fables world more.

Thor v.6 #1 - #3 (3) - Haven't read any Thor, with the new run starting it seemed like a good time to start. It's very fast paced and keeping me hooked.

Total for February = 112
    Total for Year = 210
    Last edited by KurganAU; 02-29-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: formatting

2020 is off to a roaring start for comics!

Goals
    Comics - 1000
    Books - 30

This Month

Comics - 128
    • Bloodthirsty: One Nation Under Water - 5
    • Chew - 64
    • Ether V1 - 5
    • Green Valley - 9
    • Tex: The Lonesome Rider - 10
    • The Clock #1-2 - 2
    • Violent Cases - 2
    • WW Jimenez Omnibus - 31

Books - 2
    • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams
    • Gerritsen: Girl Missing

Overall

Comics - 309
    January: 181
    February: 128
    March:
    April:
    May:
    June:
    July:
    August:
    September:
    October:
    November:
    December:

Books - 7
    January: 5
    February: 2
    March:
    April:
    May:
    June:
    July:
    August:
    September:
    October:
    November:
    December:

Complete Reading Record 2019

Comics
    • Batman: Venom - 5
    • Bloodthirsty: One Nation Under Water - 5
    • Chew - 64
    • Ether V1 - 5
    • Green Valley - 9
    • Hacktivists - 4
    • Negation - 37
    • Ordinary - 3
    • Sabrina - 9
    • Sally Heathcote: Suffragette - 8
    • Secret - 7
    • Tex: The Lonesome Rider - 10
    • The Clock #1-2 - 2
    • The Facts of Life - 10
    • The Fade Out - 12
    • The Last Days of American Crime - 3
    • The Underwater Welder - 10
    • To End All Wars - 15
    • Violent Cases - 2
    • Virgil - 4
    • WW: Deodato/Messner-Loebs - 15
    • WW: Phil Jimenez - 31
    • WW: John Byrne - 39

Books
    • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams
    • Gerritsen: Girl Missing
    • Gerritsen: Presumed Guilty
    • James Bond: Solo
    • Languedoc Trilogy: Sepulchre
    • Morse: Service of all the Dead
    • Morse: The Dead of Jericho
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Spectacular Member

February

Crime Noir omnibus (29 approx.)
    Rachel Rising omnibus (42)
    Conan Chronicles TP 4 (18)
    TMNT Collection 10 (18)
    Echo omnibus TP (30)
    Uzumaki (20)
    Berserker Unbound HC (4)
    Ocean/Orbitor Deluxe (6)

Total for month: 167 issues
    Total so far: 341 issues

A very slow week for me and only a So So month. But I enjoyed most of what I read. Here is my weekly list.

All Star Comics - 1
    Adventure Comics - 13
    Detective - 4
    Lois Lane - 1
    Something Is Killing The Children - 1

Weekly Total - 20

The best of the week were the old Adventure comics. I loved reading the old Sandman and Hourman stories. I am loving the Golden Age Dc stuff. I am on 1940 and 1941.

Monthly Total - 180
    Year to Date - 491. So two months in and pretty much half way there. A good year so far.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I read A LOT this month, lots of great runs and some very enjoyable new issues as well...

Detective Comics 644-646 (3) - the old Electric City arc, classic Chuck Dixon.
    Lois Lane 8 (1) - Rucka continues to hit it out of the park.
    Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (2019) 8 (1) - Fraction and Leiber too! The Reign of the Supermen riff and the background gags in the newspapers killed me.
    Superman: Heroes 1 (1) - I got it for the Rucka and Fraction stories, which were very nice. But since I’m waiting to read Bendis’s run, I’m somewhat disconnected from the particulars of what’s happening in the Supes books at the moment.
    Superman Smashes the Klan 1-3 (3) - This was absolutely wonderful. I always enjoy Yang’s writing, but combined with the art, I REALLY enjoyed this one.
    Batman: Pennyworth RIP 1 (1) - Some nice character moments I suppose, but I couldn’t help feel like “oh, here’s another mopey and sad issue of the Batfamily mourning a dead character that won’t be dead for very long.” Angst + character flashbacks + RIP in the title etc.
    Nightwing (2016) 69 (1) - Enough with this Rick Grayson nonsense, yeesh.
    Joker: Killer Smile 1-3 (3) - Maybe I’m just not in a Batman-y mood, but this, while great-looking and well-written, also didn’t jump out at me too much. Another Joker-makes-a-guy-go-crazy story.
    Wonder Twins 1-12 (12) - Mark Russell has been a favorite writer of mine ever since the sadly cancelled Prez, and he doesn’t disappoint here. Stellar work with fantastic art.
    Flash (2016) 70-88 (19) - Got caught up on Flash from where I left off. It wasn’t bad but I also wasn’t terribly sad to reach the end.
    Flash Forward 1-6 (6) - How they stretched this to six issues is beyond me.
    The Wild Storm 1-24 (24) - Holy crap this was good. I guess this whole Wildstorm relaunch ting is now DOA? Such a shame, if so.

Generations: The Thunder 1 (1)
    The Mighty Thor (2015) 700-706 (7)
    The Mighty Thor At The Gates of Valhalla 1 (1)
    Thor (2018) 1-16 (16)
    War of the Realms 1-6 (6)
    War of the Realms: Omega 1 (1)
    King Thor 1-4 (4)
    - Finishing up Jason Aaron’s Thor run... dang. Bummed it’s over but a helluva ride!
    Jane Foster: Valkyrie 1-8 (8) - Enjoying this so far.

Silver Surfer (2014) 1-15 (15)
    All-New Marvel Now Point One 1 (1)
    Silver Surfer (2016) 1-14 (14)
    - I’d never read a Surfer comic before this, but I love the Allreds and heard good things. It lived up to the hype. Fantastic stuff.

Invincible Iron Man (2009) 1-33 (33)
    Invincible Iron Man 500-527 (28)
    Invincible Iron Man Annual (2010) 1-3 (3)
    Invincible Iron Man 501.1 (1)
    Rescue 1 (1)
    Fear Itself 7 (1)
    Fear Itself 7.3 (1)
    - I actually never read any of Fraction’s Marvel stuff, my first book of his was Sex Criminals and then I checked out his other creator-owned stuff. How is there not an omni or two of this run? Admittedly, it’s the only Iron Man I’ve read, but it was pretty damn good.

Uncanny X-Men 193-198 (6)
    New Mutants (1983) 27-31 (5)
    X-Men (2019) 6-7 (2)
    Excalibur (2019) 7 (1)
    X-Force (2019) 7-8 (2)
    New Mutants (2019) 7-8 (2)
    - I think this may be my favorite of the X-titles, along with X-Men and Marauders.
    Marauders 7-8 (2)
    X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) 1-2 (2)
    - I’m not normally overly obsessive about continuity, but Kitty being dead in one title and alive in others does take me out of the story a bit. Aside from that, I’m digging it so far.
    Wolverine (2020) 1 (1)
    Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost 1 (1)
    - Absolutely gorgeous. Been a fan of Dauterman since he did a few issues of the New 52 Nightwing.

Invaders (2019) 1-7 (7) - Read this now and loving it. Whodathunk when Sex Criminals started that it’d lead to a bunch of great cape comics from Zdarsky?

Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft 1-6 (6)
    Locke & Key: Head Games 1-6 (6)
    Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows 1-6 (6)
    Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom 1-6 (6)
    Locke & Key: Clockworks 1-6 (6)
    Locke & Key: Omega 1-5 (5)
    Locke & Key: Alpha 1-2 (2)
    - After watching the show, I was inspired to re-read the books. It’s criminal how much better the comics are.
    Locke & Key: Small World 1 (1)
    Locke & Key: Open the Sky 1 (1)
    Locke & Key: Grindhouse 1 (1)
    Locke & Key: Dog Days 1 (1)
    - My first time reading this and the other tangential issues but they were enjoyable enough, if non-essential.

Alex & Ada 1-15 (15) - A very fast read, but well done.
    Sex Criminals 27 (1) - looking forward to reading the whole series once this finishes. Letter column continues to be especially amazing.
    Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues 3 (1) - As a Karate Kid fan from childhood, I was shocked at how good the Cobra Kai YouTube series was. These books, however, are mostly just retelling parts of the original movie with a few extra scenes. But Kagen McLeod’s art is nice.

Total for February: 319
    Yearly total: 587

Already more than halfway. I doubt I’ll read quite so much consistently this year, but we shall see...
    Last edited by Dick Grayson; 02-29-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Formatting, extra comments

Ok time for February's tally...

Jan-90 issues

February reads...

Superman Giant #11-16 (DC; 2019)
    Batman Eternal #5-20(DC; 2014)
    New Challengers #1-6 (DC; 2018)
    Unearth Vol. 1 (#1-5; Image 2019)
    Immortal Men #1-6 (DC; 2018)
    Isola #1-2 (Image; 2018)
    The Woods #1-8 (BOOM!; 2014)
    Superman Smashes the Klan #2 (DC; 2020)
    Folk Lords #3 (BOOM! 2020)
    Gideon Falls #20 (Image; 2020)
    The Collected Essex County (Top Shelf, 2008-2009; 514 pps)
    The Last God: Book One of the Fellspyre Chronicles #4 (DC/Black Label; 2020)

Feb total issues (again using 3.5 issue for each DC Giant): 68 + 514 pp of Essex County @ 20/"issue"=68+26=94

so YTD=184

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    New Mutants (2019) 7-8 (2)[/B] - I think this may be my favorite of the X-titles, along with X-Men and Marauders.
    Did you like this from the get go, or does it pick up? I'm behind. I have a stack of about two months worth of the X-Books that I need to dig into. I think the last issue I read of New Mutants was when Armor and Glob go to visit Angel and Beak and invite them to Krakoa. I haven't been into the issues so far, after looking forward to this series more than any of the Dawn of X books.

February update!

I finished the Legion Quest HC and reach through the Age of Apocalypse Omni. Put me at 54 books for the month, and 85 for the year overall. Really need to get on it to make 1000 for the year!

Even though I'm not on pace for 1000, I'm loving participating in this project. It reminds me how much I love comics, and pushes me towards dedicating more of my free time to reading over gaming or just spacing out online.

Thoughts on the books: This was my first time reading Age of Apocalypse since reading through all of Claremont's run. The first time I read it was in the early 2000s. Without the background, I didn't really get it. This time was much better. I really enjoyed it. The world building was great and well thought out. All the individual mini-series were enjoyable, and contributed to the overall plot. I can see why it's so loved.

There were a couple wonky things. Collosus' story arc was ridiculous, especially the ending. Angel seemed to make a quick left turn as the story wrapped up. Magneto's power levels seem to conveniently spike to help wrap up the final battle.

All in all, a great crossover and a fun read.