Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Read 31 in February, down from 40 January.

American Century (DC/Vertigo 2001) #1-4
    AM Archives Zorro 1958 Dell Four Color #882 (American Mythology 2020)
    Bad Weekend: A Criminal Novella GN (Image 2019)
    Conan: Serpent War (Marvel 2019) #1-4
    Doctor Who: The Road to the Thirteenth Doctor #1: The Tenth Doctor (Titan 2018)
    Doctor Who: The Road to the Thirteenth Doctor #2: The Eleventh Doctor (Titan 2018)
    Doctor Who: The Road to the Thirteenth Doctor #3: The Twelfth Doctor (Titan 2018)
    Firefly: The Sting GN (Boom! 2019)
    Green Arrow (DC 1988-1998) #0, 87-90
    Richard Stark's Parker Vol. 4: Slayground GN (IDW 2013)
    Star Wars (Marvel 2020) #3
    Star Wars: Darth Vader (Marvel 2020) #1
    Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren (Marvel 2019) #3

February 2020

Floppies:
    Marvel: X-Men 6-7, Marauders 7-8, Excalibur 7, New Mutants 7-8, 98 (fax), X-Force 7-8, Fantastic Four / X-Men 1-2, Wolverine 1 (x2), Giant Sized X-Men: Jean Gray & Emma Frost, Thor 3, Amazing Mary Jane 5, Star Wars 3, Darth Vader 1
    DC: Batman 88-89, Batman: Pennyworth (x2), Batman 567 (Mark of Cain), Court of Owls 23.2, Detective Comics Annual 3 (x2), Batman Curse of the White Knight 7, Batman's Grave 5, Joker: Killer Smile 3, Justice League Dark 19, Green Lantern Black Stars 3, The Green Lantern Season Two 1, The New Teen Titans 2 (fax), Daphne Byrne 2, The Last God 4
    Indy: Something is Killing the Children 5

Total floppies: (37)

The X-Men titles are growing in number! Fallen Angels has dropped off the list, but I’ve added Wolverine, Giant Sized, FF/X-Men to my pull box (and have already confirmed with my LCS that I’m on board for Cable, Hellions & X-Factor. HoX/PoX and Dawn of X got me heading back to my LCS, and I’m getting drawn into the main X-Men title, X-Force
    Tynion’s Batman has impressed, and I hope he gets a long term commitment (despite the rumors I’ve read he may be off the title later on?) I’m not sure if the Green Lantern titles are for me, as I kinda jumped into the Morrison run midway through and have a hard time following along.

Omnibus / Absolutes

Batman Eternal (17) – I finished off the remaining third of this omnibus, and thought the stories were a bit slower, but overall a fun read. My next Batman reading goal is to prepare for Snyder’s Death Metal event, which as I understand will be Snyder New 52 Batman vols. 6-10, DC Rebirth one-shot re-read, All-Star Batman Vols. 1-2, Dark Knights Metal, Justice League: No Justice, Snyder’s Justice League vols. 1-4, Batman Who Laughs mini-series, Batman/Superman: Secret Six, Justice League vol. 5 & Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen.

Gotham Central (40) – What can I say? I’m not sure why on Earth I let this omni sit on my shelf for so long without reading it. Rucka and Brubaker really hit this out of the park, and it was a book I couldn’t put down and finished in two nights. DC need to adapt this to a TV show ASAP. I haven’t read much Brubaker before, but this has me just itching to hit IST for the two Brubaker Daredevil omnis…which leads me to…

Daredevil Vol. 1 by Bendis (34) – A number of great Youtube people are doing read-alongs, and I very much enjoyed this volume. The artwork is top notch, and I have been fortunate enough to have avoided spoilers, so the storylines kept me pushing forward and wanting more. It’s on the top of my reads starting now into March.

OHC / Deluxe Editions

Superman Rebirth Deluxe Vol. 1 (14) – Looking back at my library, I started to realize that I actually have very little experience reading Superman titles. Jon Kent was such a delightful kid character, and the title is refreshing and Eradicator is a fantastic villain. Having read Darwyn Cooke’s New Frontier last December, I was excited to see the return to the dinosaur island to see the Losers. And the interplay between Jon and Damian makes me still a bit sore that my copy of the Super Sons omni was lost in the mail (must add to a list to eventually get again).

Superman Rebirth Deluxe Vol. 2 (14) – Another fantastic deluxe read that I tore through. I’ve been enjoying reading Swamp Thing lately, so I rather enjoyed the Annual. The multiverse issues were headscratchers, but make me want to finally get around to reading Morrison’s Multiversity. Seeing Jon as the boy of steel evolve is a treat. I’ll definitely pick up Deluxe Vols 3 & 4, and have heard pretty good things about the early Rebirth Action Comics, which I’ll gradually pick up.

X-Men: X-Cutioner’s Song (14) – This period of X-Men was one of my favorites as a kid, and having purchased a couple of the X-OHCs decided to start a good X-reading-run. Crossover events galore! The mix of adjective-less X-Men, Uncanny, X-Factor, and X-Force titles all set a distinctive tone, and while Stryfe was a bit of a whiner I liked seeing all of the teams pulled together.

X-Men: Shattershot (22) – I was glad to see this OHC filling in many gaps and was please to see so much material that I had never read before. I’ve read Fatal Attractions many times before and often struggled with seeing Colossus leaving the X-Men (even with what happens to his sister), but now having read A Skinning of Souls, I can see why my favorite Rusky just wanted out. This OHC is jam packed with extras that I quite enjoyed reading and flipping through, including the Survival Guide to the Mansion)

X-Men: Fatal Attractions (31) (prologue/event/epilogue) – These stories are some of what define the 90s X-Men prior to Age of Apocalypse. Peter David’s Examinations X-Factor 87 is an all-time classic. Magneto doing the dirty to Wolverine is something I always remember from this run, but I’ve grown to find Wolvie’s letter to Jubilee the most impactful.

X-Men: The Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix (33) – Another recent OHC and my stopping point for 90s X-readings for February. I didn’t really find the Bloodties Avengers cross-over too compelling, but thought the Cable issues (Fathers and Sons parts 1-3) were great. The wedding was pretty satisfying after so many recent fake outs and it was really well done. I had never before read the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix and thought it was fantastic.

Star Wars: Darth Vader vol. 2 (17) – A pretty good ending to this Vader run, which I picked up on a quick re-read to coincide with the new Vader book.

Total Feb omni/absolute/OHC: 10
    Total February issues: 271
    Total issues 2020: 723

Next up to read: Detective Comics Rebirth Vols. 3-4, Daredevil vol. 2 by Bendis, Punisher MAX vol. 2 by Ennis, Seven Soldiers by Morrison, then perhaps Snyder/Tynion’s BatmanMetalJustice League to prepare for Heavy Metal

February 2020 Hauls: Superman: Secret Origin, Nightwing Rebirth Deluxe Edition vol. 1, Batman TMNT Deluxe Edition, Absolute Watchmen, Green Lantern by Johns vols. 1-3, X-Men vs Apocalypse: The Twelve, Daredevil vol. 2 by Bendis, Harleen OHC, Wonder Woman by Simone, Spider-man Miles Morales omni (Bendis), Flash of Two Worlds Deluxe Edition

Random thoughts:

Pull list – Fallen Angels finished but I’ve added Wolverine, FF/X-Men miniseries, Giant Sized, Cable, Hellions, X-Force. I may drop Excalibur once the latest arc ends…we’ll see.
    March forward – Hauls this month are going to push my collecting budget, but something I’ve planned for—Remender’s X-Force, Wolverine vol. 1…aaaaand Children of the Atom box set. I’m starting to notice a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Did you like this from the get go, or does it pick up? I'm behind. I have a stack of about two months worth of the X-Books that I need to dig into. I think the last issue I read of New Mutants was when Armor and Glob go to visit Angel and Beak and invite them to Krakoa. I haven't been into the issues so far, after looking forward to this series more than any of the Dawn of X books.
    There are really two stories happening, one with the OG New Mutants (penned by Hickman primarily it seems?) and the other featuring the Generation X + some other characters (like Boom Boom.) The latter story isn’t bad but I find the issues in space with the original team to be much more entertaining. I don’t know if that’s down to writer, my having more an attachment to the original team (never having read Generation X), or what, but there seems to be more humor and off-the-wall-ness in those space issues, increasing with each issue, so I really dig that.

Spectacular Member

Update below for the year.

1-19 Annihilation Omnibus: DRAX THE DESTROYER #1-4, ANNIHILATION: PROLOGUE, ANNIHILATION: NOVA #1-4, ANNIHILATION: SILVER SURFER #1-4, ANNIHILATION: SUPER-SKRULL #1-4, ANNIHILATION: RONAN #1-2

20-31 Batman: The Caped Crusader Vol. 1: Batman #417-425, #430-431 and Batman Annual #12

32-42 Batman: The Caped Crusader Vol. 2: Batman #432-439, #443-444 and Batman Annual #13

43-51 Batman: Death in the Family: Batman #426-429, #440-442 and New Titans #60-61

52-75 Punisher: Back to the War Omnibus: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) 129, 134-135, 161-162, 174-175, 201-202, ANNUAL (1964) 15; MARVEL PREVIEW (1975) 2; MARVEL SUPER ACTION (1975) 1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (1968) 241; DAREDEVIL (1964) 182-184; SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) 81-83; PUNISHER (1986) 1-5

76-87 The Fade Out

Jan-Feb = 109

2000AD #2081-2083
    20XX #1-2
    Batman #86-87
    Beasters Vol.1 (10 issues)
    Black Stars Above #2
    Blood on the Tracks Vol.1 (10 issues)
    Conan Serpent War #1-2
    Dead Eyes #1-3
    Excalibur #1-2
    Fallen Angels #1-2
    Finger Guns #1
    Godkillers #1
    Gung-Ho #1-2
    The Heart of the Beast (4-issues)
    Heist #2
    Justice League #40
    Killadelphia #1-3
    The Legion of Super-heroes #1
    Marauders #1-2
    Money Shot #1-2
    New Mutants #1-2
    No Guns Life Vol.1 (12 issues)
    On the Stump #1
    The Plot #1-4
    Protector #1-2
    The Realm #1-15
    Red Mother #1
    Suicide Squad #1-2
    Tartarus #1
    Undone by Blood #1
    Unsacred #2
    The Way of the House-Husband Vol.1 (8 issues)
    X-Force #1-2
    X-Men #1-2

Here is my weekly update. I was happy to get finished with Dc year 1940. I also got a lot done on Marvel year 1965.

Adventure Comics - 4
    All American Comics - 6
    Lois Lane - 1
    More Fun Comics - 11
    Whiz Comics - 18

Amazing Spiderman - 5
    Avengers - 5
    Black Cat - 1
    Daredevil - 2
    Doctor Doom - 1
    Fantastic Four - 4
    Journey Into Mystery - 4
    Savage Avengers - 1
    Strange Tales - 4
    Strikeforce - 1
    Tales Of Suspense - 4
    Tales To Astonish - 4
    Uncanny Xmen - 3
    Valkyrie Jane Foster - 1

Weekly Total - 80
    Yearly Total - 571

My favorite of the week was Black Cat. I just cant get enough of her. I also really loved the early DC stuff. Reading the early Alan Scott Green Lantern and Hourman was a lot of fun. Whiz Comics were not so great. I enjoy Captain Marvel but the down side was that Doctor Sivana was the villain in ten of the first 18 issues. Just got kind of old.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

All-New Member

My February list is shorter than my January list due to some travel. I did get 200 pages into a novel, Swan Song, which is kind of the poor man's The Stand. I found it weak despite great reviews, so pretty much gave it up at that point.

Comics:
    Batman: Curse of the White Knight 1 - Not bad, but I think I should have started with the earlier series to get a sense of what is going on. Not very reader friendly for an issue 1.

Incredible Hulk by Peter David Omnibus Vol 1: 335, 336
    Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 1: 6

X-Men (2019) 3, 4, 5 - I think this is where I drop the series. Little flow from issue to issue,and the text pages are killing the momentum in any given issue.

Lobo: Bounty Hunting for Fun and Profit - I'm the only person I know who admits Lobo can be fun in small doses.

Captain America (2013) 1, 2, 3, 4 - The Rick Remender run that followed Brubaker. Surprisingly enjoyable, and I'm not a huge Cap fan. Not sure how a huge Cap fan would take it, either, given it's very sci-fi/fantasy setting. Like Planet Hulk, with Cap.

Toy Story (Peachtree) 2 - Disney Comics for a dollar, coming out monthly at Dollar Tree? Yes, yes, and yes. Read this one to my son, who loved it.

Psycho (Skywald) 3, 4 - Gwandanaland reprinted the B&W Skywald horror mags in big volumes collecting four issues each. I'm loving these. Very 70's.

Symbiote Spider-Man: Alien Reality 3 - Still okay.

Shirtless Bear Fighter 1

Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost 1 - Oh lord, a silent issue. I like words in my comics.

February: 18

Here is my list for the week. Had a pretty good week. Got done with Marvel through the year 1941. So I am happy about that. Next week I am going to try and focus on DC 1941.

Whiz Comics - 7

All Winners Comics - 3
    Amazing Mary Jane - 5
    Captain America - 9
    Daring Comics - 1
    Human Torch - 5
    Marvel Mystery Comics - 26
    Sub Mariner - 4

Weekly Total - 60
    Yearly Total - 631

The good was Amazing Mary Jane. I am loving this comic. I am also loving the golden age Captain America and Human Torch. To be honest I am not enjoying the Sub Mariner Stories as much. It is just a bit too dark for me when he is killing half the population of New York. I do enjoy when he is fight Nazis. But just dont care for him as the bad villain.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

January: 62
    Feb / March:

TMNT deluxe 10: 16
    Pestilence deluxe: 12
    Bloodshot salvation deluxe: 12
    Kill or be killed deluxe: 20
    The Authority omnibus: 37
    Satellite Sam deluxe: 15
    Little Bird deluxe: 5
    Witchfinder omnibus: 18
    X-O manowar deluxe: 12
    Big Damn Sin City: 61
    Complete Essex County: 23
    Lazarus deluxe 1-3: 32

Total: 325
    Last edited by JPAR; 03-27-2020 at 07:57 AM.

BANNED

After 108 issues and one month, I have read

Uncanny X-Men: 155-169 and 475-503

X-Men: God Loves Man Kills: That's roughly three issues

X-Force Vol. 3: 021-028

X-Men: 06-07

X-Force: 08

X-Men Vol. 3 : 188-193

New X-Men: 114-118

The Black Monday Murders: 01-02

Giant-Size X-Men Jean Grey and Emma Frost: One-Shot

Magneto Testament: 01-06

Wolverine: 1st issue

Legends: 1st issue

That's roughly 185 issues.

Here is my weekly reading list.

All American Comics - 12
    All Star Comics - 6
    Superman - 3

Gwen Stacy - 2
    Ultimates - 2
    Ultimate Marvel Team Up - 8
    Ultimate Spiderman - 18
    Ultimate Xmen - 15

Weekly Total -66
    Yearly Total - 697

Best of the week is a toss up between All Star because I love the JSA and Gwen Stacy. Both were solid reads.

So when I post I dont post what issues I have read. Just how many of each issue. Doe that take away from the fun of knowing what I have read. I try to post a good and bad with each update.

Comics Read in 2020

March = 135

20XX #2
    The After Realm #1
    Analog #1-9
    Artemis & The Assassin #1
    The Cimmarian: Queen of the Black Coast #1
    Decorum #1
    Drifting Classroom Vol.1 (37 issues)
    Excalibur #3-4
    Fallen Angels #3-4
    Heathen #1-9
    Join the Future #1
    Killadelphia #1-4
    Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me (14 issues)
    Marauders #3-4
    Mercy #1
    New Mutants #3-4
    Number Cruncher #1-4
    The Plot #1-4
    Reaver #1-7
    Red Mother #1-3
    Sally of the Wasteland #1-5
    Second Coming #3-6
    Something is Killing the Children #1-6
    Strange Adventures #1
    Undone by Blood #2
    The Weatherman Vol.2 #1-6
    X-Force #3-4
    X-men #3

Total = 244

Here is my weekly list. As you can see I wen heavy with The Walking Dead. I am trying to finish this series. I only have 39 issues left so I hope to have it finished in just a few days.

Adventure Comics - 2

Ultimates - 3
    Ultimate Marvel Team Up - 7
    Ultimate Spiderman -4
    Ultimate Xmen - 3

The Walking Dead - 54

Weekly Total -73
    Yearly Total - 770

I am still really enjoying the Ultimate line. And Adventure Comics didnt disappoint. I love How Hour Man does not have just have one kid side kick but a whole team of kid side kicks. Anyone wonder where the hell the parents are?

Hope everyone is safe and well. Here are my latest reads:

70-73. Amazing Spiderman 38-41---- Love seeing Chance and the Foreigner show up. I always perfer Spidey dealing with criminals rather than weird personal vendetta villains. At this point I don't care who the mystery Kindred character is.

74-75. Antman 1-2--- Antman and Swarm? Love it!

76-78. Avengers 30-32--- I am loving the plots juggled by Aaron here. Looking forward to what comes next.

79. Star Wars: Bounty Hunters 1

80-82. Daredevil 17-19----- Maybe the best book Marvel is putting out right now.

83-85. Dr. Doom----Not everything works here, but the Dr. Doom and Kang interactions are amazing and fun! Doom and Kang ride a freight train!

86-87. Guardains of the Galaxy

88.-90. Immortal Hulk 30-32

91-92. Thor 2-3

93-96. X-men 5-8

97. Symbiote Spiderman: alien reality 1

98-99. Jimmy Olsen 2-3

100. Luke Cage, Hero for Hire 9----Classic story with Luke tracking down Doom to get the $200 he owes him. i think it still holds up as fun Marvel Mayhem.

101. What If 42----- What if Spiderman had kept his six arms? Random What If read. It's pretty bad.