View Poll Results: Which backstory of Rey did you prefer

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • She is a nobody (Last Jedi)

21 38.89%
  • She is Palpatine's Grand child (Rise of Skywalker)

20 37.04%
  • Neither

13 24.07%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They kinda put themselves in a box when they killed Snoke, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They still had Ren and the First order to deal with. Nothing required them bringing in Snoke.
    I have to agree with The Cool Thatguy. I don't think Ren being the big bad would have worked. Especially not have the last movie went out of it's way to empathize with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Rey's parents sacrificed their lives so that she could have a better life, and she changes her name the first chance she gets. The emperor is dead at the end of the movie. Rey just comes off as cold and ungrateful towards her real parents by changing her name.
    I don't know about that. I mean if they chose to be nobody they probably chose to change thier last name as well. Granted that's speculation on my part. However I don't think the name change in universe was meant to be anything but a screw you to the Emperor. Out of universe it was of course to make the title fit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I
    I don't know about that. I mean if they chose to be nobody they probably chose to change thier last name as well. Granted that's speculation on my part. However I don't think the name change in universe was meant to be anything but a screw you to the Emperor. Out of universe it was of course to make the title fit.
    Great point. I had thought about that too, she could have taken the name Palpatine to honour them. But she must have thought that if they gave up the name and became 'nobodies', or someone else. She could do the same. The best way for Rey to honour her mother and father is to serve others and make something of her life, and show them that their deaths were not in vain.

Ultimate Member

They still had Ren and the First order to deal with. Nothing required them bringing in Snoke.
    The First Order are mooks, and really, Ren had less weight than Darth Vader as a big bad. He's a good attack dog, yes. But as a greater villain, he's pretty lacking.

Rey's parents could have been Galen Marek and Juno Eclipse. You get at least some explanation of her OPness in the Force (Galen being the son of two Jedi himself, and rivaling that of Vader) and Juno's accent and capability without the creepy value of Sideous and some woman getting it on.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I have to agree with The Cool Thatguy. I don't think Ren being the big bad would have worked. Especially not have the last movie went out of it's way to empathize with him.
    The last movie also had Ren reject anyone who tried to empathize with him showing he was a lost cause. Besides, plenty of big bads are written to draw the audiences empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The First Order are mooks, and really, Ren had less weight than Darth Vader as a big bad. He's a good attack dog, yes. But as a greater villain, he's pretty lacking.
    The First Order were established as a serious threat since TFA. I wouldn't say Ren had less weight he was just different.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-28-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Rey's parents could have been Galen Marek and Juno Eclipse. You get at least some explanation of her OPness in the Force (Galen being the son of two Jedi himself, and rivaling that of Vader) and Juno's accent and capability without the creepy value of Sideous and some woman getting it on.
    I think that doing anything like that would create a big "Huh" out of the large majority of the audience that only watch the movies. I think that the movies should be self contained without having to go to outside sources to understand them. Also Marek and Eclipse are not cannon in the Disney Star Wars universe.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Yeah, the Maul thing in Solo was a bit confusing to many critics/general audiences who weren't familiar with his survival and transformation into a crime lord in Clone Wars and Rebels.

Plus an extra Starkiller name might confuse people since it was already used for the TFA weapon.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Neither. If I had to pick one or the other though I would have picked the nobody angle. But even that was bad after the TFA hinting of something deeper. That was a classic example of subversion for the sake of subversion. Subverting expectations isn't always a good thing. But at the very least, while an about-face, being (non)revealed in the second part of a trilogy at least gives you still one more film to work with it. Switching that all up AGAIN was just monotonous and uninspired because it was clearly once again another change-up.

In the end she just should have just been Luke's daughter. And I'll always believe that--even if just in Abrams head and not making it into any notes,treatments or drafts of that first film--was the original thought process.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Neither. If I had to pick one or the other though I would have picked the nobody angle. But even that was bad after the TFA hinting of something deeper. That was a classic example of subversion for the sake of subversion. Subverting expectations isn't always a good thing. But at the very least, while an about-face, being (non)revealed in the second part of a trilogy at least gives you still one more film to work with it. Switching that all up AGAIN was just monotonous and uninspired because it was clearly once again another change-up.

In the end she just should have just been Luke's daughter. And I'll always believe that--even if just in Abrams head and not making it into any notes,treatments or drafts of that first film--was the original thought process.
    I was under the impression JJ's top 2 pics were to make her a Palpatine or nobody. Johnson liked the Skywalker thing. Trevverow liked nobody.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I was under the impression JJ's top 2 pics were to make her a Palpatine or nobody. Johnson liked the Skywalker thing. Trevverow liked nobody.
    No. Circa TFA, it seems she was intended to be a Skywalker likely Luke's kid by JJ and Ardnt. Rey Nobody was Rian Johnson's idea from TLJ (because he had no clue what JJ had intended). Which Trevorrow wanted for DOTF. And which JJ rejected for TROS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I totally agree. If you look at TFA in vacuum then Rey being a Skywalker explains why the Skywalker lightsaber calls out to her. More importantly it recenters the sequels on being Anakin's legacy in the form of her and Kylo Ren. One trying to become the next Vader and one trying to follow in his path as a Jedi. It's just that the other two movies abandon all of that.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-28-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    why would Johnson like her being a skywalker, he made her a nobody.

Ultimate Member

The First Order were established as a serious threat since TFA. I wouldn't say Ren had less weight he was just different.
    The First Order were/are a threat meant for the Rebellion to pad out the movie. Rey was never gonna out fight them all.

And Ren? A crappy childhood does not emotional weight make. For 2 films, he's lacked vision and gravitas. He was written as deliberately coming up short to Vader, who himself lacked any vision beyond overthrowing his boss.

The last movie also had Ren reject anyone who tried to empathize with him showing he was a lost cause. Besides, plenty of big bads are written to draw the audiences empathy.

Pretty sure the first order lost most of thier credibility in TLJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I totally agree. If you look at TFA in vacuum then Rey being a Skywalker explains why the Skywalker lightsaber calls out to her. More importantly it recenters the sequels on being Anakin's legacy in the form of her and Kylo Ren. One trying to become the next Vader and one trying to follow in his path as a Jedi. It's just that the other two movies abandon all of that.
    TFA was the first movie to indicate that Rey didn't have a Skywalker connection (Maz refers to them different people). Also, were did this idea that the saber calling to Rey only makes sense if she was part of that family come from?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    No. Circa TFA, it seems she was intended to be a Skywalker likely Luke's kid by JJ and Ardnt. Rey Nobody was Rian Johnson's idea from TLJ (because he had no clue what JJ had intended). Which Trevorrow wanted for DOTF. And which JJ rejected for TROS.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    why would Johnson like her being a skywalker, he made her a nobody.
    I was going off post TLJ and pre ROS interviews with those men.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium