View Poll Results: Which backstory of Rey did you prefer

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • She is a nobody (Last Jedi)

    21 38.89%
  • She is Palpatine's Grand child (Rise of Skywalker)

    20 37.04%
  • Neither

    13 24.07%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 106 to 119 of 119
  1. #106
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,063

    Default

    Regarding the Rey being a nobody thing, wasn't there a cut line that was in the trailers?


    Maz: "Who are you?"

    Rey: "I'm no one."
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  2. #107
    God Save The Queen! Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Neither. If I had to pick one or the other though I would have picked the nobody angle. But even that was bad after the TFA hinting of something deeper. That was a classic example of subversion for the sake of subversion. Subverting expectations isn't always a good thing. But at the very least, while an about-face, being (non)revealed in the second part of a trilogy at least gives you still one more film to work with it. Switching that all up AGAIN was just monotonous and uninspired because it was clearly once again another change-up.

    In the end she just should have just been Luke's daughter. And I'll always believe that--even if just in Abrams head and not making it into any notes,treatments or drafts of that first film--was the original thought process.
    And if she's Luke's daughter how are you going to explain him abandoning his child at 5-7 years old to work in a junk yard? If people had problems with Luke being a burnt out angry 50 something recluse in TLJ do you think that they are going to accept him being a dead beat dad? What plausible reason would he give for abandoning his child when the same thing happened to him?

    And even if you want to bring in the whole his girlfriend/wife didn't tell him she was with child, that brings in a whole new convoluted storyline that has to be explained. To be frank making her a Palpatine was the easiest story decision made. It provides a reason why she has enormous powers, her draw to the dark side and the reason she was placed on Jakku to be hidden in plain sight and away from a man who everyone familiar with SW cannon already knows is evil. It also ties her into the whole over arching narrative of all 9 films.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-30-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    • “Now I know who I am." Psylocke (#1 vol. 1)
    • “It is your job to control chaos. Not submit to it.”- Tissaia de Vrie ( The Witcher)
    • “For the first 35 years of my life- I was a bit player- ‘the ranchers daughter’. But when the time came, I had to be more.”-Dolores (WW)

  3. #108
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,068

    Default

    Plenty of ways to do an abandoned/lost child angle that wouldn't have had to make Luke look bad. Maybe he thought she died, just like Vader thought his kids were dead. It wouldn't have been hard. In regards to time dedicated to explaning it all, look at the the OT and how much time was actually spent on the specifics over Anakin, Luke and Leia. Barely any. Fans were fine with it more or less back then, that aura of mystery that was never quite solved in the movies proper. Not a lot of time would have had to have been dedicated to it at all based on that example. Frankly just about as little energy was spent on explaining her as a Palpatine anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-30-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  4. #109
    God Save The Queen! Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Plenty of ways to do an abandoned/lost child angle that wouldn't have had to make Luke look bad. Maybe he thought she died, just like Vader thought his kids were dead. It wouldn't have been hard.
    Does Luke look like the type of guy who wouldn't have dug into it further or asked more questions? I haven't watched any of the OT lately, but he does not look like the type of guy if you told him his child died he'd just shrug it off. And even so that still invites another long convoluted story that has to be explained in the film.

    I think I posted this already. But here's a YT video from a fan who pieced together her lineage even before cameras started rolling for TROS. The name and the clues Williams laid out in her theme:

    Last edited by Mia; 01-30-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    • “Now I know who I am." Psylocke (#1 vol. 1)
    • “It is your job to control chaos. Not submit to it.”- Tissaia de Vrie ( The Witcher)
    • “For the first 35 years of my life- I was a bit player- ‘the ranchers daughter’. But when the time came, I had to be more.”-Dolores (WW)

  5. #110
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,068

    Default

    Again, I think you're way overestimating how much explaining of the specifics would have been necessary. The reality is it wouldn't have had to invite anything longer than was actually spent making her a Palpatine.

    I'm not saying they couldn't have made it a bigger explored thing if they wanted to, considering how much time they ended up wasting with other things like Canto Bight, I'd argue it turns out they could have, just saying it wouldn't necessarily been impossible to keep it vague if they wanted either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-30-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  6. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Regarding the Rey being a nobody thing, wasn't there a cut line that was in the trailers?


    Maz: "Who are you?"

    Rey: "I'm no one."
    I don't recall that being in the trailers or the movie. Unless maybe i missed a commercial or two.

  7. #112
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I don't recall that being in the trailers or the movie. Unless maybe i missed a commercial or two.
    Might've been an international trailer.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  8. #113
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,658

    Default

    I liked the Rise of Skywalker. It had a lot of twists I didn’t expect, and resolved some plot points I didn’t know were there, like where do all these Sith come from?

    But what this really dredges up is, what now? We already had a neat conclusion to Star Wars the last time when Palatine and Vader got supposedly killed. Who says Ren and Palatine will be dead after this? My thinking is that the universe has a balance of the Force. That if you have one Jedi, you must a Sith, so there has to be a bad guy around somewhere who wasn’t in that auditorium when it exploded. And like already mentioned, we have to have either a Jedi or Sith broom boy appear in some future movie.

    I’m thinking what happens next is that Rey starts another Jedi academy, and collects all the kids with the Force, and we get how the original Jedi Council gets formed all over again from Star Wars I. I don’t think you can kill Palantine, so he’s still around. I don’t know why Palantine killed his children though in this plot. It certainly fits to form his character as this atypical, moustache twirling, cackling, bad guy. That’s another revelation we got in this movie.

    I’m happy with the schmultzy pre-attack speech, because you have to get the troops enthused to go out and kill themselves. That didn’t bother me. For some reason I didn’t notice Rey’s distinctive accent as much this movie. And Kylo Rens flat monotone dialogue eventually had an effect on Ren. Kylo’s spell eventually got through to her, and made her want to kill Palatine. That was quite a victory for Kylo.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-06-2020 at 04:37 PM.

  9. #114
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    The thing that always amuses me, is that a lot of Star Wars fans loath the idea of mediclorians, claiming that it ruins the idea of Force being about faith. Yet, many of these same people will also argue that making Rey a Palpatine (or Skywalker) 'fixes' the character, because as we all know, faith is inherited....
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

  10. #115
    Spectacular Member Valentis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Rey should have been Luke's child instead of a Palpatine. The entire saga is clueless.

  11. #116
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The thing that always amuses me, is that a lot of Star Wars fans loath the idea of mediclorians, claiming that it ruins the idea of Force being about faith. Yet, many of these same people will also argue that making Rey a Palpatine (or Skywalker) 'fixes' the character, because as we all know, faith is inherited....
    I don't think that Lucas ever meant the Force to be about "faith". "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it." That is from the original trilogy. I took me some time to take in the mediclorians. A lot of Star Wars fans mistook it as a replacement of Obi-Wan's explanation of the Force as "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." but it's not. It's basically how some one can communicate with the Force, so yeah not every one can use the force, you have to be born with it.

    I do think that a lot of loathing toward the prequels has simmered over the years into acceptance, even mediclorians. Lucas began it with what seemed to have the ability to be passed down from generation to generation as Luke tells Leia especially if it is strong in the family.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  12. #117
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,518

    Default

    Considering how skewed LFL’s priorities were, where even Rian Johnson, the guy proposing they should move past the Skywalkers, clearly had a bias towards the last Skywalker in Kylo/Ben, and considering how needlessly damn depressing killing off the family is, and how pointlessly hopeless it makes their stories between the OT and ST, and how underwritten Rey wound up being by the end...

    ...Rey really should have just been a damn Skywalker.

    Then they don’t put so much pressure on Kylo/Ben’s hilarious inadequate mass murdering shoulders for the family storyline, she’s the clear heir to the legacy of Luke and Anakin without any debate, she wouldn’t have to worry about Kylo parasitically feeding off of her story because he’s the Skywalker for 9/10s of the the Sequel Trilogy, and we’d have a reason to both give a damn about the family story between the trilogies without depending on the petulant Nazi brat’s life story for all that stuff... and for feeling like maybe the Skywalker family’s legacy can carry on in a believable way.

    As to any arguments about how plausible it seems, it’s far more probable than Palpatine surviving two explosions in ROTJ. And it needs to be flat out said: a hypothetical Mama Skywalker solves every problem people would have with Luke not knowing he has a daughter. And all speculative questions about Mama Skywalker would be an asset, rather than a liability: Luke’s old Legends wife, Mara Jade, was a proven commodity in her own right, so any new Disney character along those lines would also have great potential.

    Now...

    If the questions between following TLJ with Rey Random or going with Rey Palpatine, presuming they were always going to be too stupid to just ditch TLJ’s ethos entirely here?

    Rey Random.

    And I’m saying that because that Colin Trevorrow script, where Rey’s a Random still, and Kylo stays evil and dies as the main villain actually lets her stand on her own and do something at least vaguely original. And if that sounds boring to you, or if you think that’s the wrong way to treat Kylo, that just proves why Rey not being a Skywalker while he is was a bad idea.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

  13. #118
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I don't think that Lucas ever meant the Force to be about "faith". "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it." That is from the original trilogy. I took me some time to take in the mediclorians. A lot of Star Wars fans mistook it as a replacement of Obi-Wan's explanation of the Force as "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." but it's not. It's basically how some one can communicate with the Force, so yeah not every one can use the force, you have to be born with it.

    I do think that a lot of loathing toward the prequels has simmered over the years into acceptance, even mediclorians. Lucas began it with what seemed to have the ability to be passed down from generation to generation as Luke tells Leia especially if it is strong in the family.
    I think there is some evidence in the "Lucus canon" of the Force being inheritable as not normal, as the Jedi in the Prequel trilogy induct new members through recruitment, not through breeding. As you say the OT does suggest that the Force may be inheritable, though I think this is implied to be the exception in the larger story, as the Skywalker family is considered special.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

  14. #119
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6,153

    Default

    There was a video posted on youtube not too long ago about a fun, not serious theory about Rey being Shmi Skywalker herself. Can't find it at the moment, but it was a fun watch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •