View Poll Results: Which backstory of Rey did you prefer

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • She is a nobody (Last Jedi)

21 38.89%
  • She is Palpatine's Grand child (Rise of Skywalker)

20 37.04%
  • Neither

13 24.07%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Going off-topic a bit but I'm kind of curious if anybody at the First Order knew about Ren's family history apart from Snoke. Think they'd be a bit nervous letting one of their leaders be part of the family of heroes who helped bring down their predecessor (although his grandfather was a bit different...)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I recall that the TFA Visual Dictionary had an offhand comment that it was illegal to call Kylo Ren by his birth name. Factor in that the comics are now showing that Kylo was fighting the First Order prior to his fall, and that is a very interesting situation.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

To put it extremely politely, this new trilogy was a mess. The plot (I still have no idea what this trilogy was about) was all over the place and there wasn't one new character from this new trilogy that I was even slightly interested in.

Rey could have been Palpatine reincarnated and I still wouldn't have cared. Seriously, Disney thought it was a good idea to kill all the characters from the OT for this new batch?

Overall, this goes into the files of joel schumacher's Batman Movies and Superman Returns....they never existed.

Harrison pretty much wanted to be killed off ever since the OT and they didn't really have much choice with Carrie.

Colin Tremorrow apparently wanted Luke to not be killed off at the end of TLJ and that might've been one of the reasons he was let go. Although it's rumored his ideas weren't that great either.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Princess of what though? The empire she would have inherited is gone and that is very much a good thing. Unless they wanted to make her a villain protagonist, I don't think wanting her to be a princess was the motivation. Some writers are just not capable of telling a story about someone without talking about who they are related to.
    Eh, the whole point of being a Disney Princess isn't so much to actually rule anything as it is to simply exist and soak up the adulation of the adoring masses, which could probably serve Rey pretty well given that her lineage would give her legitimacy with any remaining Imperial holdouts.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Eh, the whole point of being a Disney Princess isn't so much to actually rule anything as it is to simply exist and soak up the adulation of the adoring masses, which could probably serve Rey pretty well given that her lineage would give her legitimacy with any remaining Imperial holdouts.
    "One of the themes of the movie is that anyone can be anything regardless of where you're from. I don't know if it resonates for everyone. I think there are quite a few people who appreciate that idea of not coming from a place that you're particularly excited about or proud of." ...Though I completely understand 'you're nobody' is a devastating thing, to me the more painful, the more shocking thing was 'you're from the worst possible place.' And is your destiny, is that thing that you feel, that you know is part of you, somehow, that you're haunted by, is that your destiny? The idea that choices -- there are things more powerful than blood, as Luke says. That feeling was an important thing to convey for us." - J.J. Abrams
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    "One of the themes of the movie is that anyone can be anything regardless of where you're from. I don't know if it resonates for everyone. I think there are quite a few people who appreciate that idea of not coming from a place that you're particularly excited about or proud of." ...Though I completely understand 'you're nobody' is a devastating thing, to me the more painful, the more shocking thing was 'you're from the worst possible place.' And is your destiny, is that thing that you feel, that you know is part of you, somehow, that you're haunted by, is that your destiny? The idea that choices -- there are things more powerful than blood, as Luke says. That feeling was an important thing to convey for us." - J.J. Abrams
    I don't think that particular story beat really hit home though, because it's not like Rey ever came close to turning to the dark side, apart from getting a bit angrier than is proper for a stoic Jedi. And also, it's not like Palpatine himself came from a line of evil mustache twirlers, the Sith have never really used hereditary succession and in all likelihood Palpatine's own family were probably decent folk whom he murdered in some gruesome way or something like that, and Rey's parents are also shown to be good people. Just the fact of Rey being the most powerful Force user around would be enough to draw Palpatine's interest, as he seems to be obsessed not so much with attaining power himself, that just comes effortlessly to him it seems, as he is with finding someone more powerful than him who will eventually murder him and take his throne as the Sith have always done.

Both are terrible, but Rey being revealed as a Palpatine at least makes that one scene where Luke is training Rey and says "you went straight to the Dark" or whatever in "The Last Jedi" actually mean something. (Before it was just a random bit of dialogue that had absolutely zero influence on the rest of the plot.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Both are terrible, but Rey being revealed as a Palpatine at least makes that one scene where Luke is training Rey and says "you went straight to the Dark" or whatever in "The Last Jedi" actually mean something. (Before it was just a random bit of dialogue that had absolutely zero influence on the rest of the plot.)
    No influence? She later messes with the dark side grotto to learn about her parents and it ratchets up the tension when Kylo asks her to join his dark side empire. Chekov's gun mounted and then fired.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The poll is a lot closer then I expected.

No influence? She later messes with the dark side grotto to learn about her parents and it ratchets up the tension when Kylo asks her to join his dark side empire. Chekov's gun mounted and then fired.
    Did she do anything even remotely "evil" when in that grotto? Did she take Kylo up on his offer? Did she even briefly consider it? No. She immediately without hesitation rejected it, she wasn't even torn about it for a second. Chekov's gun fell behind the mantle and was completely forgotten by even the stage hands.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Both are terrible,
    perhaps both are terrible because both movies could be deemed as terrible.

but Rey being revealed as a Palpatine at least makes that one scene where Luke is training Rey and says "you went straight to the Dark" or whatever in "The Last Jedi" actually mean something. (Before it was just a random bit of dialogue that had absolutely zero influence on the rest of the plot.)
    I don't think it matters much as all Jedis in training will have to confront the dark and light side. Nothing will ever truly make sense because ol palatine should be dead.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-04-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    To put it extremely politely, this new trilogy was a mess. The plot (I still have no idea what this trilogy was about) was all over the place and there wasn't one new character from this new trilogy that I was even slightly interested in.

Rey could have been Palpatine reincarnated and I still wouldn't have cared. Seriously, Disney thought it was a good idea to kill all the characters from the OT for this new batch?

Overall, this goes into the files of joel schumacher's Batman Movies and Superman Returns....they never existed.
    Sometimes I think JJ should get more blame than Rian. Rey should never have defeated Kylo Ren in the first film. Imagine in a new hope, Obiwan ended up defeating Vader or worse Luke did defeat Vader in Empire Strikes Back?

Also Luke and Obiwan were already established Jedis or Jedis in training. Rey did not even know what the force was in TFA. however, she takes down Kylo Ren a Jedi who has been trained both in the dark and light side of the force. Ridiculous.

They made Rey way too strong from the beginning with no clue of who the character was or what they really wanted her to be. Her parentage was always now going to be controversial because of that fundamental flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Sometimes I think JJ should get more blame than Rian. Rey should never have defeated Kylo Ren in the first film. Imagine in a new hope, Obiwan ended up defeating Vader or worse Luke did defeat Vader in Empire Strikes Back?

Also Luke and Obiwan were already established Jedis or Jedis in training. Rey did not even know what the force was in TFA. however, she takes down Kylo Ren a Jedi who has been trained both in the dark and light side of the force. Ridiculous.

They made Rey way too strong from the beginning with no clue of who the character was or what they really wanted her to be. Her parentage was always now going to be controversial because of that fundamental flaw.
    Okay, this again. Watch the movie again. The fight ending with Rey winning by the skin of her teeth was carefully set up over the course of the movie and details are shown that pay off to this. That's called "good writing." The whole idea that Rey is "overpowered" never really fit, given the world building of the series to this point and the conditions of the duel.

(You want a few clues? Observe how Rey handles the saber, what happened to Kylo Ren just after he killed his father, and how Kylo performs the longer the duel goes on.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Okay, this again. Watch the movie again. The fight ending with Rey winning by the skin of her teeth was carefully set up over the course of the movie and details are shown that pay off to this. That's called "good writing." The whole idea that Rey is "overpowered" never really fit, given the world building of the series to this point and the conditions of the duel.

(You want a few clues? Observe how Rey handles the saber, what happened to Kylo Ren just after he killed his father, and how Kylo performs the longer the duel goes on.)
    Almost doesn't count. The bottom line is Rey won.