View Poll Results: Which backstory of Rey did you prefer

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • She is a nobody (Last Jedi)

    21 38.89%
  • She is Palpatine's Grand child (Rise of Skywalker)

    20 37.04%
  • Neither

    13 24.07%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 119
  1. #76

    Default

    Okay does anyone really beleive Palpatine was actually planned from the begining?

  2. #77
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,037

    Default

    Nope, but I like it anyways.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  3. #78
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Okay does anyone really beleive Palpatine was actually planned from the begining?
    I genuinely do not believe this was JJ Abrams’ idea when he began The Force Awakens, and this feels like a fan theory that was pulled out of a hat and they hammered it to make it work with the plot. Despite its awkward introduction I do think it ultimately works.

    I do believe that Kennedy was right in a way when she said that there really is no source material to pull from when going forward in Star Wars after TFA. But I think that this trilogy suffered from 2 things.
    1: The tag your it story telling style, the flow of this trilogy seems that Johnson as Abrams were not on the same page when it comes to where the story was going.
    2: The pacing of the movies' openings I liked the three years between movies that Lucas did it gave him time to see what worked and what didn't on screen. In a way it did make parts TROS seemed some what a Correction or explanation of the pervious films' choices to try and force it all to fit together.

    I do think that there was some "studio direction" in how the last of this series was put together. Both Abrams and Johnson seemed to have been able to do anything they wanted in the first two movies and the series kind of suffered for it.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-22-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  4. #79
    Extraordinary Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Okay does anyone really beleive Palpatine was actually planned from the begining?
    It's possible but I doubt it. It wasn't foreshadowed in the least. We'll probably never know if Johnson's killing off Snoke forced Abrams to come up with a new/ old villain. Then again, there may or may not have been all sorts of things that were supposed to be foreshadowed in the second movie that were thrown out.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  5. #80
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,885

    Default

    If the leaked Trevorrow script details are true, there was always going to be a surprise mastermind but it was going to be Plagueis, not Palpatine.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  6. #81
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,251

    Default

    At least from what I've heard the dark side entity isn't Plaugeis though he is mentioned.

    If that's to be believed then that actually addresses a lot from canon. The entity out in the unknown regions being entities like Tor Valum and Snoke. Having Vader be led to this entity also reinforces Palpatine's contingency plan if the Empire fell. That actually addresses Operation Cinder perfectly. If at against all odds Vader turns on him and or the Sith die then everything goes up in flames. Just doing it because Palpatine is dead was really dumb especially given the retcon he was alive even if a walking corpse for the past thirty years.

    Knowing this information now just feels like Abrams wanted the redemption arc at the cost of Kylo Ren and doing what he thought was better for Rey.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It's possible but I doubt it. It wasn't foreshadowed in the least. We'll probably never know if Johnson's killing off Snoke forced Abrams to come up with a new/ old villain. Then again, there may or may not have been all sorts of things that were supposed to be foreshadowed in the second movie that were thrown out.
    I honestly feel Palpatine was brought in because Snoke was gone.

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    At least from what I've heard the dark side entity isn't Plaugeis though he is mentioned.

    If that's to be believed then that actually addresses a lot from canon. The entity out in the unknown regions being entities like Tor Valum and Snoke. Having Vader be led to this entity also reinforces Palpatine's contingency plan if the Empire fell. That actually addresses Operation Cinder perfectly. If at against all odds Vader turns on him and or the Sith die then everything goes up in flames. Just doing it because Palpatine is dead was really dumb especially given the retcon he was alive even if a walking corpse for the past thirty years.

    Knowing this information now just feels like Abrams wanted the redemption arc at the cost of Kylo Ren and doing what he thought was better for Rey.

    A lot of the reference material for the new trilogy pretty much some kind of dark side "thing" going on in the Unknown Regions, which I guess turned out to be Palpatine/The Sith Eternal/Exegol.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  9. #84
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Okay does anyone really beleive Palpatine was actually planned from the begining?
    They kinda put themselves in a box when they killed Snoke, though.

  10. #85
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They kinda put themselves in a box when they killed Snoke, though.
    They still had Ren and the First order to deal with. Nothing required them bringing in Snoke.

  11. #86
    Mighty Member Godzilla2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Okay does anyone really beleive Palpatine was actually planned from the begining?
    Highly doubt it. To put it extremely politely, it was a complete mess story-wise

    I still have no idea what this new trilogy was about.

  12. #87
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Okay does anyone really beleive Palpatine was actually planned from the begining?
    No. Palatine was not planned from the beginning , Disney felt they needed to have a big evil for the hero to fight or defeat. it would have been bolder to just make Kylo Ren the big evil.

  13. #88
    Extraordinary Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Highly doubt it. To put it extremely politely, it was a complete mess story-wise

    I still have no idea what this new trilogy was about.
    Oh, that's an easy one. It was about taking the original trilogy, shuffling it like a deck of cards, whiting out some names and replacing them with other names (For instance, the Empire will now be called the Black Order, Darth Vader will now be called Kylo Ren, and so on) and repeating the trilogy in a somewhat altered and shuffled form which largely negates the accomplishments of the original trilogy since, thirty years later, they are still in essentially the same situation they were in three decades before and not in minor ways.

    A lot of it was fun but, as bad as they were, at least the prequels told an original story.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  14. #89
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Oh, that's an easy one. It was about taking the original trilogy, shuffling it like a deck of cards, whiting out some names and replacing them with other names (For instance, the Empire will now be called the Black Order, Darth Vader will now be called Kylo Ren, and so on) and repeating the trilogy in a somewhat altered and shuffled form which largely negates the accomplishments of the original trilogy since, thirty years later, they are still in essentially the same situation they were in three decades before and not in minor ways.

    A lot of it was fun but, as bad as they were, at least the prequels told an original story.
    It took me watching TROS a second time to kinda realize that this is the case, that the Story is in almost the exact same place as it was at the end of ROTJ and only the names have changed really. I did enjoy most of the new trilogy but wish they would have dropped us off some place new.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  15. #90
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Rey's parents sacrificed their lives so that she could have a better life, and she changes her name the first chance she gets. The emperor is dead at the end of the movie. Rey just comes off as cold and ungrateful towards her real parents by changing her name.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •