View Poll Results: Which backstory of Rey did you prefer

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • She is a nobody (Last Jedi)

21 38.89%
  • She is Palpatine's Grand child (Rise of Skywalker)

20 37.04%
  • Neither

13 24.07%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Haha, well, you just made this thread worth reading.
    They should have just gone all in and given her the Sleeping Beauty moment instead of that lame "force healing" nonsense, all the Reylos would have loved it and everyone else would still be too busy arguing over continuity trivia to care. Really put that Disney stamp on the franchise.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    The force doesn't grant people skill, the way that Disney treats the force like some sort of cheat code shows they have a great ignorance of the source material. Consider how Anakin's abilities are explained in Episode 1. The force gives Anakin heighted reaction times and possible even the ability to foresee danger before it happens. His piloting skills however are entirely his own and a skill he had to work out.

Conversely, the only way that Rey seemingly learns anything is by stealing the knowledge from other beings, like she did with Kylo Ren in TFA. If Rey turned out to be some kind of force vampire then all her inexplicable skills would make a certain kind of sense, especially in light of her being part of the Palpatine bloodline. You could take it even further, everyone seems to get dumber around Rey, as though she is passively draining all their mental faculties.
    It was always a cheat code.

I mean, Luke could block shots with his saber after a few chats with Ben, blew up the Death Star first time in a cockpit, etc.

If you got great reflexes and can sense danger, being a pilot ain't so hard in a world where spacecraft are as common as cars are in our world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It was always a cheat code.

I mean, Luke could block shots with his saber after a few chats with Ben, blew up the Death Star first time in a cockpit, etc.

If you got great reflexes and can sense danger, being a pilot ain't so hard in a world where spacecraft are as common as cars are in our world.
    Seeing as how car accidents are one of leading cause of death in the developed world, I think that people underestimate the difficulty of the task. Most people who hold a licence today probably shouldn’t be driving.

I can only imagine it’d worse with Star Wars where space travel is common place. Just look at the Millennium Falcon, that thing is a barely maintained shitbox and Han Solo actually cares about the ship. There’s going to be a lot of stupid people getting themselves killed every time they want to go up into space. That’s probably why astromech droids are such a popular consumer product.

So yeah, becoming a starfighter pilot is a hard thing to do. It’s still quite an achievement Anakin is able to operate such sophisticated machinery, even with the help of the force and R2. Which is why it’s so galling to see that Rey is instantly good at everything, it’s just not believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Seeing as how car accidents are one of leading cause of death in the developed world, I think that people underestimate the difficulty of the task. Most people who hold a licence today probably shouldn’t be driving.

I can only imagine it’d worse with Star Wars where space travel is common place. Just look at the Millennium Falcon, that thing is a barely maintained shitbox and Han Solo actually cares about the ship. There’s going to be a lot of stupid people getting themselves killed every time they want to go up into space. That’s probably why astromech droids are such a popular consumer product.

So yeah, becoming a starfighter pilot is a hard thing to do. It’s still quite an achievement Anakin is able to operate such sophisticated machinery, even with the help of the force and R2. Which is why it’s so galling to see that Rey is instantly good at everything, it’s just not believable.
    The movie has Rey explain that she knows how to fly and has done it before. Why are we still arguing over a point that was resolved long before the question was even answered?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    They should have just gone all in and given her the Sleeping Beauty moment instead of that lame "force healing" nonsense, all the Reylos would have loved it and everyone else would still be too busy arguing over continuity trivia to care. Really put that Disney stamp on the franchise.
    You can swap in any Disney Princess for Rey and not miss a beat. Heck you can argue that the Disney Trilogy would improve with any other Disney Princess. Imagine Jasmine or Merida in this trilogy instead of Rey, the movies would improve.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You can swap in any Disney Princess for Rey and not miss a beat. Heck you can argue that the Disney Trilogy would improve with any other Disney Princess. Imagine Jasmine or Merida in this trilogy instead of Rey, the movies would improve.
    Star Wars has always had a less than stellar protagonist. Ain't like Luke was any great shakes

BANNED

Didn’t care then still don’t

Has Disney even said who her parents are or is it just Sidious son...which is no real back story at all.

BANNED

Jasmine and Merida weren't abandoned by their parents at 10, forced to pick through a junk yard for useful scraps to sell, go hungry fight off adversaries and struggle to survive. And I am not even going to touch on the psychological problems she must have had including the suffering, the loneliness, shame and looking for her worth in others. And not to mention confusion as to why she was suddenly offloaded like that.

From my recalling of Aladdin and Brave, both girls, although misfits, grew up in loving families. Who had loving indulgent fathers. And neither girl was Forged from suffering, hardened by pain.

If you're going to bash Rey, please stick with the facts of her story.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-07-2020 at 05:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Who else preferred her back story in Last Jedi where she is a nobody and her parents sold her for drinking money

To anyone who is still asking why I prefer last Jedi to Rise of Skywalker, I found Rey's back story more believable than her been Palpatine's grand daughter. what I consider one of the worst plot points in the movie.

I always felt out of the last jedi backlash, her backstory was overplayed. I think many fans had no issue with her being related to nobody important. JJ Abrams was very misguided too think fans wanted her to be a Skywalker or a Palpatine.
    I don't see how it changes anything. Further as the TLJ and ROS have clearly shown that Rey’s specialness lies in her character, her choices, her resilience, drive to win, her sense of duty and kindness to others and to make something of her life that makes her great. Not the force or her royal heritage. As Stan Lee has shown with Marvel comics. Super powers mean nothing it’s how you use them. Rey could have easily have joined Ren or even worse taken up her grandfathers offer. I mean after years of shame from being abandoned by her parents, suffering humiliation of being a ‘scavenger’. It must have been tempting to be seen as great in becoming the empress of the galaxy. But it wasn’t a choice she chose.

On a personal note I am glad that she’s royalty. Because it showed that this young woman, no matter how she tries not be is actually very special.

Rey (or Daisy Ridley in the role) has always had an aura of grace and power about her. I noticed it when I first saw the trailer for TFA, I got the same chill I got when I first started reading about X-23. Just an incredible powerful aura.

The revelation that her parents cast her aside (although I suspect they paid to the junk dealer to take care of her and have her hidden in plain sight. He put her to work in the yards, but made sure that she was left alone and did not suffer serious harm).

Was beautiful and good for Rey, because it gave her a measure of peace, after many years of suffering and confusion. That her parents--not that they were royalty- but they did love her after and did what they did to protect her. She was loved after all, and not just cast off like garbage (which Ren so tactlessly said). Han and Miz tried to tell her that her parents weren’t coming back and she should move on with her life. But it wasn’t until the words she got from Ren, who probably found this out from his own research. Not to mention the force bond, (ie. He gets her) they experienced that she realized that he had a point. Pinning for parents who (so she thought) did not love her and weren’t coming back was hindering her life. It was better to make peace with the fact, let it go and move on—and become the woman she needed to be. A leader & a jedi. And in doing so, she helped to save the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    the rise of skywalker does not even make any sense. a good story that will fit this term rise of skywalker would have been for luke to help kylo ren become a skywalker again and actually succeeding at it. how rey fits the rising of skywalker does not have any logic to it, but nooooo. this Disney overlord thinks rey must be someone of importance.

Last Jedi may have had it flaws but it is still the best we got in the ST
    The title refers to Rey rising to greatness.
    There was no way that Ren could become a ‘Skywalker’ or join the new government. People might respect him for helping bring down Palpatine. But no one would forget that he worked for and led the first order and has blood on his hands.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-07-2020 at 05:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Princess of what though? The empire she would have inherited is gone and that is very much a good thing. Unless they wanted to make her a villain protagonist, I don't think wanting her to be a princess was the motivation. Some writers are just not capable of telling a story about someone without talking about who they are related to.
    What would be interesting. Is that after say 20+ of relative peace. Different factions start to fight for power and one faction went to Rey and offered to restore her to the throne etc.. But that's not the kind of story that might work in 2 + film. More a tv series. I don't think this is the last we've seen of Rey. But I think that she would be more interesting in that kind of role that just head of a Jedi school/council etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Jasmine and Merida weren't abandoned by their parents at 10, forced to pick through a junk yard for useful scraps to sell, go hungry fight off adversaries and struggle to survive. And I am not even going to touch on the psychological problems she must have had including the suffering, the loneliness, shame and looking for her worth in others. And not to mention confusion as to why she was suddenly offloaded like that.

From my recalling of Aladdin and Brave, both girls, although misfits, grew up in loving families. Who had loving indulgent fathers. And neither girl was Forged from suffering, hardened by pain.

If you're going to bash Rey, please stick with the facts of her story.
    Actually I'm talking about personality, something Rey lacks. She is so boring. With the backstory she has you think she would be more interesting and less bargain basement Disney Princess
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-07-2020 at 06:48 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Actually I'm talking about personality, something Rey lacks. She is so boring. With the backstory she has you think she would be more interesting and less bargain basement Disney Princess
    Well I guess It depends how you define personality. When I hear someone, especially a woman, as having a personality it’s code for being erratic, hysterical and silly. I often find those types to be boring, tiresome and predictable. Whereas it’s the quiet ones who are mysterious and I want to know more about. There’s a reason Batman sells more books than Plastic man.

And I personally don’t know how someone can find the life of a pampered Disney Princess who never had any challenges greater than being married off. Than someone like Rey who created her own life overcame adversity to become the woman she was meant to be and a blessing to others. Someone who fought for everything she has is far more interesting than someone who got led a problem free life and had everything handed to her in a silver platter.

Mighty Member

One thing I'm genuinely curious here....
    How come Palpatine, who was old enough to be Anakin's dad, has a granddaughter ten years younger than Anakin's grandson??

Ultimate Member

Because none of this was planned out. JJ had to try and fix the mess that RJ left with TLJ.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    One thing I'm genuinely curious here....
    How come Palpatine, who was old enough to be Anakin's dad, has a granddaughter ten years younger than Anakin's grandson??
    Because men can produce children very old in life biologically. Palpatine literally could have had his son conceived during the OT when Luke and Leia were grown adults. Then 20-30 something years later Palps son has Rey. Someone like Palpatine is having kids for legacy not family.