Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by john venus View Post
    ollie's not the punisher but he's no batman either. If you piss him off real well he will kill you.
    I cry, you cry, we all cry for..."Justice!!!!"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I always believed it was implied, but never actually stated due to the state of her when Ollie finds her. Plus, whatever she went through, was traumatic enough she lost her Canary Cry.

Grell was really pushing boundaries with that run. So it wouldn't surprise me if the thought hadn't crossed his mind. Implying it is one thing, but actually having her sexually assaulted might have been a step too far.
    Sure, but author intent doesn't refute the printed page and, frankly, it would have been mentioned again if that's what happened. DC wouldn't have been able to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I cry, you cry, we all cry for..."Justice!!!!"
    Oh man...the flashbacks. The flashbacks .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, I think it's at most implied if you want to think of it that way, but I read it while I was younger and I just thought it was grotesque torture but not sexual assault. But her clothes are tattered so I can see why some infer that, though if I recall she's being treated more like a slab of meat to be carved than a woman. God, I fucking hate that run because of how poorly it treated Dinah. I usually try and lay off the F-Bombs on this forum, but I'll risk the ban. What an absolute travesty. No offense at Grell, he's a talented storyteller and excellent artist, but he and I part ways at his involvement with the Emerald Archer.
    That was the ONE thing about Grell's run that didn't work for me. I HATED the way he wrote Dinah.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

The two times Ollie was pushed to kill someone was when Dinah was beaten and raped. The other when Prometheus did a job on Star City with Lian (who he considers a granddaughter) getting killed in the process. Although he came close during some of the New 52 stuff (which I bought, but didn't really enjoy reading).

Ollie doesn't make it a rule to kill his opponents. He will if pushed past his breaking points. But he is nowhere near The Punisher. Batman doesn't kill because that is the one thing that separates him from his enemies.
    by the way, where can i look this up? i have the green arrow vs prometheus issue stored somewhere, but none of the earlier stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    by the way, where can i look this up? i have the green arrow vs prometheus issue stored somewhere, but none of the earlier stuff.
    The part about Dinah or Prometheus? The Dinah bit (where she was beaten and tortured) was The Longbow Hunters. The Prometheus stuffed happened in Cry For Justice (with the fall out issues in the last issues of the Green Arrow & Black Canary title).

Readcomicsonline has all of it if you just want to check out specific issues.

Astonishing Member

Sure, but author intent doesn't refute the printed page and, frankly, it would have been mentioned again if that's what happened. DC wouldn't have been able to resist.
    True. DC do love their rape stories.

Yeah, I think it's at most implied if you want to think of it that way, but I read it while I was younger and I just thought it was grotesque torture but not sexual assault. But her clothes are tattered so I can see why some infer that, though if I recall she's being treated more like a slab of meat to be carved than a woman. God, I fucking hate that run because of how poorly it treated Dinah. I usually try and lay off the F-Bombs on this forum, but I'll risk the ban. What an absolute travesty. No offense at Grell, he's a talented storyteller and excellent artist, but he and I part ways at his involvement with the Emerald Archer.
    I always believed it was implied, but never actually stated due to the state of her when Ollie finds her. Plus, whatever she went through, was traumatic enough she lost her Canary Cry.

Grell was really pushing boundaries with that run. So it wouldn't surprise me if the thought hadn't crossed his mind. Implying it is one thing, but actually having her sexually assaulted might have been a step too far.
    Grell himself stated she wasn't raped:

In the Longbow Hunters I remember, Dinah is badly beaten and nearly killed. [...] was this a rape? -Dhaise

Grell: Nope. No way. It always amazes me at how people read that into the scene. I tried to address the question in an issue of Green Arrow where Dinah is talking to a therapist. The line says, "People say things like 'at least you weren't raped'...as if that's the worst thing that could happen."

One guy even said he resented the fact that I had "shown Dinah being raped." When I pointed out that it never happened, he coutnered that I had shown her "being punched in the face." Again, although she is bruised and bloodied when we first see her in the scene, the only person who touches her lifts her head up by the hair...an instant before ollie kills him.
    https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban...s-revealed-54/

True. DC do love their rape stories.
    Look at poor Sue Dibny!

So glad to see Oliver on the Justice League roster next year. My favorite DC hero

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh man...the flashbacks. The flashbacks .
    And together, we can be justice .
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Happy to see Green Arrow and Black Canary back in Justice League, as should be!

I guess I should mention in this thread that Ollie and Dinah are both going to be in Brian Michael Bendis' new Justice League book, and Ollie is going to be leading it.
    Oliver//GA as leader of JL!!. This gets better and better.
    Last edited by HunterX; 12-21-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post

Happy to see Green Arrow and Black Canary back in Justice League, as should be!
    But why does it have to Bendis writing it?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But why does it have to Bendis writing it?
    Because he's a staaaarrr.