Spectacular Member

Default The most impressive historical database I've ever seen on a comic creator

Anyone see this yet?

This is huge and an incredible piece of work.

https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2020/...haracters.html

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Probert View Post
    Anyone see this yet?

This is huge and an incredible piece of work.

https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2020/...haracters.html
    Deserved; Roy Thomas is one of the premiere writers of the comic book genre and this is very needed and long past due.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Deserved; Roy Thomas is one of the premiere writers of the comic book genre and this is very needed and long past due.
    I absolutely agree with you.

Spectacular Member

Spectacular Member

I have been wondering, would you consider Roy Thomas underrated?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Probert View Post
    I have been wondering, would you consider Roy Thomas underrated?
    Yes-ish. IMO, every comics fan older than 40 probably knows who he is (no bets below that age, unless they're old stuff buffs). Far as I know, his last, great hurah was probably All-Star Squadron, but that was 1986. Readers today, accustomed to intricate continuity, forget that it was Thomas who really knit the loose overlap of Marvel into a cohesive whole, most especially with The Kree-Skrull War saga. That may be part of the problem.

I suppose the biggest reason that his legacy doesn't get as much cred is that his biggest hits were about framing, as opposed to creating. Sure he created characters, but many were retreads (i.e. Vision). His most important contributions, IMO, were about making others' creations work as a whole.

That doesn't make his work less. It just makes his value harder to see in contrast to a Kirby or a Ditko.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yes-ish. IMO, every comics fan older than 40 probably knows who he is (no bets below that age, unless they're old stuff buffs). Far as I know, his last, great hurah was probably All-Star Squadron, but that was 1986. Readers today, accustomed to intricate continuity, forget that it was Thomas who really knit the loose overlap of Marvel into a cohesive whole, most especially with The Kree-Skrull War saga. That may be part of the problem.

I suppose the biggest reason that his legacy doesn't get as much cred is that his biggest hits were about framing, as opposed to creating. Sure he created characters, but many were retreads (i.e. Vision). His most important contributions, IMO, were about making others' creations work as a whole.

That doesn't make his work less. It just makes his value harder to see in contrast to a Kirby or a Ditko.
    Those are good points. But I think his revamps of characters are a little over exaggerated because if you look through the database he created or was the mind behind the biggest characters in the 1970s. I think it's because he stayed with Conan for so long and is as associated with that character as much as REH is and rightly so.

I'm glad this database is around because it shows just how much he brought to the industry and his accomplishments can't be denied.

Do you think Chris Claremont gets more props than Roy? Yeah, he did great work on X-Men, but he didn't create any of the heavyweights with the exception of Rogue and Gambit and a few others.