Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

STARGIRL could be a feature film star, I think. Just end the season and spin her off into stand alone feature flicks.

The show is great and the character is terrific, no need to exile the show to the CW.

Is there really a guarantee that just airing on the CW will impact the production so much? If anything they might just handle it like Black Lightning.

Fantastic......now the CW will downgrade it to a pathetic low budget mess.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The budget will most certainly drop if they want a 22 episode season. This show doesn't need that much at all. Either way, now the show will most likely be turned into a teenage romcom with awful production values and tumblr level writing. That's what the cheapest prostitute of TV networks known as The CW likes to do. There's HBO Max now, why in the world does DC keep letting this crappy network ruin their properties I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    No! This was such a good show! Now with the move they’re going to end up doing to it what they did to Supergirl, Batwoman, and Flash. Basically insert a bunch extreme leftist ideology and completely ruin the already strong female and POC characters the show already has. Ugh! CW is going to ruin another female character (what they did to Batwoman and Supergirl is an extreme travesty).

Edit: Too bad HBO Max didn’t pick it up.
    Something tells me Johns isn't going to last for long if they tell him what kind of stories to produce. Before you know it, there's going to be another disgusting PR spin about how he "stepped down" under the pretense that he's busy with other projects.

I mean, again, there is no guarantee they are going to completely re-structure and change the show yet. It's just going to air exclusively on the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, again, there is no guarantee they are going to completely re-structure and change the show yet. It's just going to air exclusively on the CW.
    Yeah, and they're going to make the show. CW production values, CW writing. Sadly this is a fate worse than cancellation.

That cool opening sequence to Sunday's episode? Never going to see anything like that. I mean, hell the last few episodes have been wholly cinematic. The CW is incapable of making anything that looks akin.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-06-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah, and they're going to make the show. CW production values, CW writing. Sadly this is a fate worse than cancellation.
    Has that explicitly been said? All I have read is that it is going to be airing on the CW, not that the production studio, cast, writing team, or even filming location has changed.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    No! This was such a good show! Now with the move they’re going to end up doing to it what they did to Supergirl, Batwoman, and Flash. Basically insert a bunch extreme leftist ideology and completely ruin the already strong female and POC characters the show already has. Ugh! CW is going to ruin another female character (what they did to Batwoman and Supergirl is an extreme travesty).

Edit: Too bad HBO Max didn’t pick it up.
    The big problems with the CW rear before any politics get involved. Reduced budget, emphasis on trying to "fix" the IP with lots of changes (Stargirl revels in its comic book nature, the Arrowverse retools it into a CW teen drama show), and dismantling their core character into an ever-expanding team of characters to build up others at the expense of the hero we follow. Things Ollie, Barry and so on should be able to do are deferred to an ever bloating cast and we're treated to a ton of melodrama to cover the reduced budget.

And yeah, the writing on most the CW shows is really hard to get through, even for us lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The big problems with the CW rear before any politics get involved. Reduced budget, emphasis on trying to "fix" the IP with lots of changes (Stargirl revels in its comic book nature, the Arrowverse retools it into a CW teen drama show), and dismantling their core character into an ever-expanding team of characters to build up others at the expense of the hero we follow. Things Ollie, Barry and so on should be able to do are deferred to an ever bloating cast and we're treated to a ton of melodrama to cover the reduced budget.

And yeah, the writing on most the CW shows is really hard to get through, even for us lefties.
    Yeah, but this is for the core Arrowverse shows. So far that isn't the case for Stargirl. It's own it's own separate Earth and in a more distinct sense than Supergirl ever was.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wow, you guys really have no faith in the CW not to ruin this show. I think it's been great so far. If they can maintain this quality, I'd love that, but that's always a mixed bag. Some shows get better, while some get worse.

I remember struggling through a lot of bad Star Trek to get good Star Trek. Seasons of bad Star Trek.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Does anyone prefer Will Payton Starman to Jack Knight?

James Robinson's Starman is up there with Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. However it has it's rough spots such as Stars my Destination.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-06-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Excuse me? Take another look at the vanity plates. Stargirl has the same one as the Arrowverse shows - Berlanti Productions. It's always been made by the same guys who make The Flash! The budget might drop, but writing isn't what's going to change. They might lose an actor or two, like Supergirl did.

And I don't think it'll suddenly have 23 episodes, the shows that usually have that many probably won't next season because they're starting four months late.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Excuse me? Take another look at the vanity plates. Stargirl has the same one as the Arrowverse shows - Berlanti Productions. It's always been made by the same guys who make The Flash! The budget might drop, but writing isn't what's going to change. They might lose an actor or two, like Supergirl did.

And I don't think it'll suddenly have 23 episodes, the shows that usually have that many probably won't next season because they're starting four months late.
    The typical hallmarks of Berlanti Production's fingerprints are nowhere to be seen. This is Geoff Johns and James Robinson, with a swath of other great creative. It's not just the writing its every production detail.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-07-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Does anyone prefer Will Payton Starman to Jack Knight?

James Robinson's Starman is up there with Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. However it has it's rough spots such as Stars my Destination.
    Jack Knight all the way for me.

That said I do love Will Payton, especially the amalgamation of Prince Gavyn and Will Payton. He's also the character I'd like to see more of in the modern books.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-07-2020 at 05:34 AM.