Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Bill Mantlo's Marvel/Hulk Work

One writer who never seems to pop up on any best-of lists--but probably deserves to--is Bill Mantlo. The guy was a chameleon--you could throw him on any title and in any situation, and he could find a way to create a compelling, dramatic story.

I've been a Mantlo champion for a long time now, mostly due to his great work on Spectacular Spider-Man (he did lots of fill-in runs, but was the series' regular writer from issues 61-89.)

Just today, I finished a reading of his long tenure on Incredible Hulk (245-313). As with any lengthy run, Mantlo's work is a mixed bag--it's good in some places and just ok in others--but in a few bright spots, it's absolutely great. There are several examples, but the best and most notable is his final push, issues 300-313.

**Some light spoilers ahead**

The story involves Nightmare submerging Bruce's persona in an effort to control the Hulk. Without Bruce's intellect to balance him out, the Hulk becomes "mindless"--a beast driven only by rage and incapable of reason. Hulk goes on a rampage, which Earth's Mightiest Heroes try (and fail) to stop. Ultimately, Dr. Strange enacts an imperfect solution: he banishes the Hulk to the Nexus of Realities, hoping that it will lead Hulk to find a world where he can be at peace. What follows is a weird, haunting, sci-fi epic, where the Hulk explores new worlds and dimensions while also rediscovering his humanity.

**End spoilers**

While Mantlo's work is rightfully overshadowed by the more ambitious writings of Peter David, Paul Jenkins, Al Ewing, and others, I'm not so sure those writers would've been able to take Hulk to the levels they did had Mantlo not lain the groundwork. Mantlo's Hulk deserves a place alongside theirs, and far greater recognition than it currently gets.

What do you think? Anyone have memories or critiques of a Mantlo story they'd like to share, be it from Hulk or one of the many other titles he worked on?

Grant

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgrant View Post
    One writer who never seems to pop up on any best-of lists--but probably deserves to--is Bill Mantlo. The guy was a chameleon--you could throw him on any title and in any situation, and he could find a way to create a compelling, dramatic story.

I've been a Mantlo champion for a long time now, mostly due to his great work on Spectacular Spider-Man (he did lots of fill-in runs, but was the series' regular writer from issues 61-89.)

Just today, I finished a reading of his long tenure on Incredible Hulk (245-313). As with any lengthy run, Mantlo's work is a mixed bag--it's good in some places and just ok in others--but in a few bright spots, it's absolutely great. There are several examples, but the best and most notable is his final push, issues 300-313.

The story involves Nightmare submerging Bruce's persona in an effort to control the Hulk. Without Bruce's intellect to balance him out, the Hulk becomes "mindless"--a beast driven only by rage and incapable of reason. Hulk goes on a rampage, which Earth's Mightiest Heroes try (and fail) to stop. Ultimately, Dr. Strange enacts an imperfect solution: he banishes the Hulk to the Nexus of Realities, hoping that it will lead Hulk to find a world where he can be at peace. What follows is a weird, haunting, sci-fi epic, where the Hulk explores new worlds and dimensions while also rediscovering his humanity.

**End spoilers**

While Mantlo's work is rightfully overshadowed by the more ambitious writings of Peter David, Paul Jenkins, Al Ewing, and others, I'm not so sure those writers would've been able to take Hulk to the levels they did had Mantlo not lain the groundwork. Mantlo's Hulk deserves a place alongside theirs, and far greater recognition than it currently gets.

What do you think? Anyone have memories or critiques of a Mantlo story they'd like to share, be it from Hulk or one of the many other titles he worked on?

Grant
    The Champions is dismissed by some critics, but after Mantlo replaced Tony Isabella, the stories became much stronger. And then when Byrne came along in issue #11 -- the book was turning into something special. But it was too late, and the book was cancelled at issue #17.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The Champions is dismissed by some critics, but after Mantlo replaced Tony Isabella, the stories became much stronger. And then when Byrne came along in issue #11 -- the book was turning into something special. But it was too late, and the book was cancelled at issue #17.
    I've never read the old Champions but I definitely will now. Mantlo and Byrne seemed to have some kind of working relationship--the end of Byrne's Alpha Flight run crosses over with the end of Mantlo's Hulk, after which they traded the two books with each other. Not sure if they were friends or what, anyone know?

Mighty Member

I did NOT like the Nexus of Realty storyline. It was just bizarro fantasy stuff I didn't care for.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I was not a big fan of his Alpha Flight run. Mantlo's real passion seemed to be with the mystical side of things. Doctor Strange would have been the perfect series for him to really cut loose on.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I've never read the old Champions but I definitely will now. Mantlo and Byrne seemed to have some kind of working relationship--the end of Byrne's Alpha Flight run crosses over with the end of Mantlo's Hulk, after which they traded the two books with each other. Not sure if they were friends or what, anyone know?
    Think it was just a case of Byrne being done with AF and wanting something new and Mantlo vice versa on the Hulk.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I did NOT like the Nexus of Realty storyline. It was just bizarro fantasy stuff I didn't care for.
    Yeah, it was definitely different and not for everyone! If you read it in a vacuum it probably isn’t as good, but I appreciated the change of pace. You can only watch the Hulk punch tanks and pull planes out of the sky so many times I did wonder though...where was Man-Thing? Isn’t that his territory?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I was not a big fan of his Alpha Flight run. Mantlo's real passion seemed to be with the mystical side of things. Doctor Strange would have been the perfect series for him to really cut loose on.
    Totally agree, he really seemed to like the magic stuff. A run on Dr Strange, the Defenders, Ghost Rider, or Silver Surfer would’ve been great...but alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

Spectacular Member

**End spoilers**

Grant
    Mantlo’s hulk would probably be brought up more by the fandom if it was collected in an omnibus format so new readers could discover it( and I mean ALL of the run). The three TBP that cover the Banner-hulk/ crossroads saga are long out of print and very expensive.

The most important issue in Mantlo’s run is 312, “monster”. It gave us the psychological birth of the hulks and laid the groundwork for PAD, Jenkins and Ewing to explore Bruce’s DID in the future.

**End spoilers**

Grant
    Yeah Mantlo was amazing without a doubt. You cited issues 300 - 313 of Hulk...absolutely one of my favorite story arcs involving the Jade Giant. After all this time, we finally learn the cause of Bruce Banner's terrible anger issues. Just...wow. What great stories.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    Mantlo’s hulk would probably be brought up more by the fandom if it was collected in an omnibus format so new readers could discover it( and I mean ALL of the run). The three TBP that cover the Banner-hulk/ crossroads saga are long out of print and very expensive.

The most important issue in Mantlo’s run is 312, “monster”. It gave us the psychological birth of the hulks and laid the groundwork for PAD, Jenkins and Ewing to explore Bruce’s DID in the future.
    If Marvel gets all of the PAD run completed in the Epic Collections, they pretty much have no choice to start going back and getting Milgrom/Byrne/Mantlo collected.
    But there's this gnawing pit in my stomach that says they'll keep going with the Thomas run and go forward...which has already been done in Masterworks sets.
    Seriously would like to know the process on what they pick to reprint and be a part of that process.

He pretty much broke the Hulk out of just being the Savage Hulk, not only with his Banner and Animalistic Hulk but also-while many retellings and reprints of the Hulk first issue simply had him be green to begin with, one of Mantlo's issues had the original Grey Hulk illustrated. Seems that Bryne also picked up on this, and then Milgrom kind of ran with it although of course it was PAD who really fleshed it out.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mantlo's wirint was always a mixed bag for me, but I think he did some of his best work on Marvel's liscenced properties, most notably on Micronauts and Rom Spacenight. I also enjoyed his Vision and the Scarlet Witch miniseries.

My absolute favourite Mantlo work though is Cloak and Dagger.

I haven't read much of his Hulk run but I remember reading a few Crossroads issues as a kid.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    If Marvel gets all of the PAD run completed in the Epic Collections, they pretty much have no choice to start going back and getting Milgrom/Byrne/Mantlo collected.
    But there's this gnawing pit in my stomach that says they'll keep going with the Thomas run and go forward...which has already been done in Masterworks sets.
    Seriously would like to know the process on what they pick to reprint and be a part of that process.
    Now that the PAD omnibus is coming out, they’ll probably take their sweet time finishing his run in the epic line, even though it would be quicker and cheaper to do so.

But yeah, a lot of the hulk’s older storylines would do well with the epic line treatment. I’m honestly surprised that Marvel didn’t release an epic or an omnibus of Len Wein’s hulk run after his death, like DC did with his swamp thing.

Yes, I know know we have the marvel masterworks line books. But who can afford those?

Spectacular Member

This explains Bill's run perfectly.

https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2016/...es-ever_3.html