Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I wonder if Simu having this hoodie means he's a part of the stunt team for the film, because I know different teams in a film production sometimes get merchandise but I've never seen a lead actor have stunt team merch. At least in a Marvel movie anyway. And Simu does have some stunt work experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    spoilers:
    I thought he was hallucinating from the poison in the crystal cakes? At least that's how it read to me. Although it does feel like something weirder is going on there. I liked the little moments of wit with Shang-Chi in this issue, like rerouting Leiko's plane and telling the henchman he beat up to go into baking. Maybe the issue felt a little bit rushed, even though I still thought it was solid.
    end of spoilers
    I hear ya bro. We're getting different aspects of Shang here. I always knew he could be witty and, during his conversation with Sister Hammer, I knew that he could be cheeky. He mentions how he grew up though. That's definitely something that has to be explored. What made him mature? What made him grow up fairly well-adjusted?

Speaking of which, I reread the issue and can somewhat sympathize with Zheng Zu. He's very devoted to his cause, to safeguarding China. I understand the lengths to which he'll go. But condone it? Not so much though.

Still, to your point about it being quick, it was a similar problem with last issue. The dialogue gets the job done, but I feel it could be more eloquent. For instance, Shang and his sister talking at the dinner table, that could have been drawn out more. Or Zheng Zu talking with Shang, most definitely that could be more drawn out too.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

40,000 tests and not a single positive result? That is freaking awesome!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Really enjoying this series so far..

Shang-Chi is getting a Marvel Legends wave for the film.

I hope it's the red and black costume.

Thanks bro. Interesting to see who might be a part of this new wave of Shang-Chi figures. The names appeared to be changed slightly from the originals, but that's a good thing. If those are the new names for those characters, they do sound more authentically Chinese. As for Shang's costume, I'm rooting for something akin to his new design.

As for Shang, reread issue #2 again. I'm starting to get a grasp for certain characters, like Sister Hammer and by extension Zheng Zu. There's something powerful about the relationship he has with his children. He tossed Sister Hammer to Russia for disobeying him. But she wants his approval and recognition. Shang on the other hand is the favored son of Zheng Zu. But he wants nothing to do with his father's legacy. Furthermore, seeing more of Zheng's sorcery, I'm actually interested in seeing some of his adventures.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]I hope it's the red and black costume.

It's for the film so will most likely be whatever his movie look ends up being.

Preview pages from Shang-Chi #3:

I'm liking this. The idea that the ghostly figure from before wasn't Zheng Zu but rather Zheng Yi certainly threw me for a loop. It would be very easy for a lot of these new characters to be side characters. But it looks like they're playing an integral role here. An uncle helping a nephew, very Zuko/Iroh thing. I like this Sister Dagger being a sarcastic psycho as well. I'll reserve judgment for when the issue comes out, but sticking to the family dynamic seems a good choice here.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hey all. Just wanted to give my thoughts on the latest Shang-Chi #3 issue. There were a lot of good moments that stood out to me here. Honestly, I nearly cried at some parts in the story as Yang really taps into some powerful aspects of Chinese culture and history. Western Imperialism is right at the beginning of the issue and is an undercurrent through the rest of it. Surprisingly, the theme that really struck me here was family. Seeing Shang bond with family (both living and ghostly) made me smile. Still, there were other aspects of the issue that felt could have been improved. The dialogue is almost there, but still doesn't deliver the emotional weight. Also, Shang doesn't do much Kung Fu this issue! Maybe a single punch, that's it! The issue's other qualities make up for it, but still.....

In any case, here are my more in depth thoughts. SPOILER ALERT!

- The opening scene of the Boxer Rebellion was a strong punch in the gut. As someone who has knows about Western Imperialism in China, it hurt to see foreign forces devastating China. What really hurt was seeing the desecration of the shrine. Having visited and worshipped at ancestral and religious halls in Hong Kong, mainland China, and America, that was very sad to watch. So imagine my surprise when Zheng Zu doesn't cry. Rather, he straight up decapitates Brother Sabre and confesses that he murdered his younger brother Zheng Yi! All because he hates weakness. I like that. I've always wanted to know Zheng Zu's motivation. Being strong, not showing weakness, that's the only way you can save the world. Keeping watch of your enemies is another way too. Liked how Western Imperialism lies at the locations of the different houses.

- I'm liking the familial bonds Shang is developing with his siblings. It's cool to see him gain the trust of Takeshi while Esme still looks at him with suspicion. I also like how he is still dismissive of taking up the reigns of leadership or believing in his father's cult. Fits that theme that Shang has always had, that of the reluctant prince. Shang-Chi, the one person capable of leading this powerful empire, doesn't want to. In terms of family, liked how the siblings worked together throughout the issue. That twist with Shang's uncle, that's cool.

- Liked that Leiko makes an appearance. Definitely friend-zoned Shang there.

- Action could have been better. Yeah, there was this great tagging of Jiangshi with yellow charms (never leave home without one folks. Hence why I always keep one in my wallet ) BUT, Shang doesn't throw a single kick the entire issue! I'll let it pass because the building of family was great, but with a Shang-Chi comic, I'm expecting the Kung Fu, y'know?

- Dialogue could have been better. Certainly would have delivered a bit more of a emotional punch during the moments between siblings.

There were good moments and moments that could have been improved. Overall though, I liked this issue. Looking forward to the next one!
    "I am a man of peace."

I like how jovial Takeshi was in issue 3.

Awkwafina spoke a little bit about the Shang-Chi film recently:

Quote Originally Posted by Style Caster
    On her secret character in Shang-Chi

“There’s a little bit of me in every character I play, which is a good and bad thing. I do feel like I can relate to her. I can’t say much about the role, but I can say that she is thrust into a world where she doesn’t really know what to do. At the same time, she’s discovering things about herself. The Marvel universe is incredible. To work within it is like utopia. Nothing goes wrong. Everyone is so supportive. Everyone is super passionate and into it at every level. I’m really excited for people to see it.”

How Shang-Chi avoids Asian tropes

“When you think about certain things that have characterized Asians and Asian Americans in American media, you think about things like kung fu and martial arts. While this movie is actually about that, we were able to work with world-class stunt teams of people where this is their livelihood. So the authenticity that the studio and Destin approached those tropes is very, very special. When you want to avoid certain things, you have to be authentic with it. You have to do it the right way. Everything that this movie is about in terms of the culture and also the action movie genre, it’s authentic every way through.”

Full Shang Chi cast and synopsis revealed.

“Shang-Chi must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Full Shang Chi cast and synopsis revealed.

“Shang-Chi must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.”

Thanks for the post bro. Raises a lot of questions. Looks like the Jiang Li character is the daughter of the Jiang Nan character? Wenwu is an alias for Zheng Zu? Is Katy an alias for Leiko? Ha, the only characters we can be sure of are Shang-Chi and Razorfist. (Hoping we actually get to see the razors!)

As an aside, I've been meaning to ask posters thoughts on the latest Shang-Chi miniseries. I'll be honest, it's been frustrating me. There are a lot of good pieces here. Gene Lang is a skilled writer and Dike Ruan has dynamite art. I'm liking the building of character. Shang-Chi is starting to develop a great, confident personality and walking away from his fortune cookie - ism. We're seeing what type of person Zheng Zu is. He wants to defend China, and will go to any lengths to do so. The use of family, the mixing in of Chinese history and culture with Shang's past history, it's all there....

...but for some reasoning, I'm just not feeling it. Well, not as much as I'd like. These positives, I had to dig down a bit to get to them. My complaints are the dialogue (which though having its moments, is just functional) and the action. Tagging jiangshi is cool and all, but I need to see the Kung Fu. I want to see the kicks, punches, tiger claws, sweeps, throws, etc. These things concern me because I was hoping that this series would make up for years of lackluster stories or guest appearances. I'm concerned because this big movie is coming up and the series should be building the momentum.

Yeah, it's getting late. I'll possibly expand more later. But what are your thoughts?
    "I am a man of peace."