Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I am assuming that this is the Untimate Universe's Shang Chi?

Nice. Shang-Chi had a pretty decent role in the Ultimate Marvel Universe and for the while this was the only way Shang-Chi fans could get their fix. His appearance during the whole street level/Marvel Knights arcs of Ultimate Spider-Man were okay, he just played a bit part. Still, he did appear in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up. Those were some of my favorite Shang-Chi appearances. Even bought extra issues for a martial arts friend of mine!

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    On my Shang Chi cool art search, this image came up. Anyone know who this is?

Google searched that. Looks like MKII version of Shang Tsung.

Interestingly enough, the MKII redesign of Liu Kang actually was based from Shang-Chi. You can see the similarities:

Digital motion capture actor who played Johnny Cage, Daniel Pesina, was a fan of the character. Had MK designers model Liu Kang after him. Check it out in this clip!:

"I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

Yep, saw this on IG as well. It's a good rendition of Simu, but the headband and the red uniform.....didn't like it at first look. For me, never dug Shang-Chi's headband. It felt off to me, less authentic and more 70s/80s toyetic Karate fighter stuff. I believe it isn't going to be the official costume for Shang, which I think is a good thing.

In other Shang-Chi news:

- If you haven't done so already, do Kim's Convenience. Really good showing of Simu's talents. I'll be honest, I've just been warming up to his character (still in season 1), but I like his depiction. Part of me thinks elements of this performance will carry over into the Shang-Chi film. Simu also did a quick AMA on his IG last week. Some interesting responses:

"What about the character Shang-Chi made you interested in playing him?"
    "The fact that he existed."

"Do you work out to get hired or were you hired because you already worked out?"
    "I was definitely not hired because I work out."

- Latest reports say that Shang-Chi will resume production by the end of this month:

https://deadline.com/2020/07/shang-c...19-1202975361/

- Hoping that Shang is depicted as the Kung Fu badass that he is. Guy has to be on par with Captain America and Black Panther, no doubt about it.
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Agreed. It's a tad overdesigned for me. If the rumours are true that the film is mostly going to be some kind of martial arts tournament, I can see Shang-Chi not having a formal costume and just fighting gear instead. Unless he's given a uniform when doing work some another entity. I can also definitely see the character being given some of Simu's personality (perhaps to not make him feel too much of a stoic martial arts man that we see too much of) and no complains on that front: Simu seems like a really cool dude. If he's chill, funny and can immediately switch into an ultimate ass kicker, I wouldn't be mad. I'll definitely check out Kim's Convenience.

Speaking of, I recently completed the anime series Kengan Ashura on Netflix (definitely check it out because it's a great watch). It's about the Japanese underworld of corporate espionage and mixed martial arts tournaments. Basically, mega corporations bid for power with the tournaments using Kengan fighters who are elite martial artists and assassins. I'm not an avid fan of anime but one thing I did like about it compared to another ones especially in the shounen genre (think Dragon Ball, Naruto etc) was that the powers were slightly more grounded than what I typically see or know. No energy blasts and summoning demonic animals. There are powers but they're mostly described as "techniques" instead. For instance, one of the main character's technique allows him to tense his muscles at the right moment which makes his skin like iron and impervious to damage. Another character's grip strength is so superhuman that he his fingertips can rip open flesh. One uses his abnormally long hair like a chain (having been conditioned with special ointments for years), another can predict moves perfectly after taking enough hits, and one is an expert at strangles and holds (like you would see in an MMA match). I wonder if the film will handle martial arts and the possibility of powers in this way. On one hand, I want to see purely fists and kicks and I hope there's still a space for that in the MCU. But on the other hand, it's possible Marvel might want to up the spectacle a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Agreed. It's a tad overdesigned for me. If the rumours are true that the film is mostly going to be some kind of martial arts tournament, I can see Shang-Chi not having a formal costume and just fighting gear instead. Unless he's given a uniform when doing work some another entity. I can also definitely see the character being given some of Simu's personality (perhaps to not make him feel too much of a stoic martial arts man that we see too much of) and no complains on that front: Simu seems like a really cool dude. If he's chill, funny and can immediately switch into an ultimate ass kicker, I wouldn't be mad. I'll definitely check out Kim's Convenience.

Speaking of, I recently completed the anime series Kengan Ashura on Netflix (definitely check it out because it's a great watch). It's about the Japanese underworld of corporate espionage and mixed martial arts tournaments. Basically, mega corporations bid for power with the tournaments using Kengan fighters who are elite martial artists and assassins. I'm not an avid fan of anime but one thing I did like about it compared to another ones especially in the shounen genre (think Dragon Ball, Naruto etc) was that the powers were slightly more grounded than what I typically see or know. No energy blasts and summoning demonic animals. There are powers but they're mostly described as "techniques" instead. For instance, one of the main character's technique allows him to tense his muscles at the right moment which makes his skin like iron and impervious to damage. Another character's grip strength is so superhuman that he his fingertips can rip open flesh. One uses his abnormally long hair like a chain (having been conditioned with special ointments for years), another can predict moves perfectly after taking enough hits, and one is an expert at strangles and holds (like you would see in an MMA match). I wonder if the film will handle martial arts and the possibility of powers in this way. On one hand, I want to see purely fists and kicks and I hope there's still a space for that in the MCU. But on the other hand, it's possible Marvel might want to up the spectacle a little bit.
    Ha, thanks for mentioning this anime bro. Actually, checked out a couple episodes last night. It's certainly intense, but a bit more grounded than other martial arts anime. Could there be some spectacle and special techniques? Maybe. Kung Fu films always have some special techniques and styles. I could see that happening. Still, it would have to be even more grounded then even Kengan Ashura.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Ha, thanks for posting this bro. Definitely meant a lot. Out of the 14 images Alex Ross made, one of them was Shang-Chi! Shows how the Master of Kung Fu's stock is rising!

Some other Shang-Chi news:

- Great story going around about Simu Liu's reflection on the one year anniversary of his Shang-Chi casting. He was very psyched about coming back to SDCC this year to give us fans an update on the film. Unfortunately, the universe had other plans. Still, he's pumped on finishing the film. Check it out here:

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-simu-l...-casting-sdcc/

- Regarding a previous post about Kengan Ashura, I just finished the anime. Just want to thank Blind Wedjat for suggesting it. It's a great fighting anime. It hits the right beats of any martial arts tournament story in other anime, while keeping audiences surprised. Check it out:

About how it relates to Shang, I definitely could see Shang having a ton of techniques that we really don't know about. Kung Fu can be very deep. Still, the Kengan Ashura is pretty brutal. With Shang, he walks a fine line, between artistry and brutality. I think he's always kept himself in control, regardless of the situation. At the same time, I've always been the proponent of Shang just having one of those "last man standing" type of moments. I'm thinking the final round of Rocky vs. Drago in Rocky IV. Shang is just so depleted, so weary, but he keeps fighting on, relying on mean, nasty haymakers and punches. No finesse, no artistry, just smash mouth fighting.

Yeah, would love to see one of those scenes.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hey all. Just wanted to post the latest solicit for the upcoming Shang-Chi mini:

Gene Luen Yang (W) • DIKE RUAN & PHILIP TAN (A) • Cover by PHILIP TAN
    Variant Cover by MARCUS TO
    TIMELESS SHANG-CHI VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
    THE HITS KEEP ON COMING!
    Shang-Chi may have finally met his match in the form of this strange new assailant,
    Sister Hammer – BUT WHO IS SHE REALLY? Find out in this shocking reunion!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    I'm slowly warming up to the new costume. As long as we can move away from bell bottom pajamas, members only t-shirts, and red track suits, I think we're good. As for the art, I'm digging the Marcus To variant. Loved his dynamic and clean art. As for the new character, Sister Hammer? Hmmm, perhaps a warrior nun? Maybe an unknown sister of Shang? Pretty cool that she has the Chinese hammer:

Okay, let's see where this goes. C'mon, Shang, show me that rising and advancing of the spirit!
    "I am a man of peace."

any announcements for Comic Con about any new projects: the comics, the film, etc.?

Nah, Marvel Studios skipped this Comic Con.

That's a cool looking cover, and the suit looks great there.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Very nice. The soldiers remind me of the pics of troops that were released from the Shang-Chi movie a couple of months ago. Very impressed that a vet like Art Adams is doing Shang-Chi covers. Nice to see that there is top, established talent doing this.

The more I look, the more I like. Just find it cool that Shang is heading straight into an army of soldiers armed with his classic double nunchukus. Which issue is this cover from? Is it a variant?
    "I am a man of peace."