Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Ha, alright alright, I'm open to different things with Shang. If he has just a modicum of the Phoenix's powers, it wouldn't detract from the martial skill. However, my perference is still for a highly skilled Shang-Chi without supernatural powers.

Now, his father may have used sorcery. So, I get how people might think how Shang is getting into the mystical side of things. I wouldn't mind that at all, actually. I've always said Shang should meet up with Chinese gods. (Knowing Shang's father, I believe those gods would be absolutely offended by Shang). Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Shang in a Chinese ghost story. Imagine him fighting hopping vampires and demonic spirits! The "Nightmare in North Point" DLC from Sleeping Dogs would be in line of what I'm thinking for that:

If it goes that way though, I'd like to see Shang use mystical objects, not become super-chi infused. Like I think it'd be cool if for a Chinese mythology story he wielded the Guan Dao of Lord Guan or the staff of Sun Wukong. If he was fighting some ghosts, he'd have his fists and legs wrapped Daoist and Buddhist talismans or he'd be using a ghost repellant jian. But I have to stop short of him becoming, y'know, Phoenix Super Saiyaan.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

From David Nakayama.
    Pretty cool. Reminds me a bit of Shazam with Shaolin boots. The gauntlets are what are cool to me. The cloud motif is something you see in lots of Chinese art.
    "I am a man of peace."

I like the phoenix costume better. I hope it stays.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    If it goes that way though, I'd like to see Shang use mystical objects, not become super-chi infused. Like I think it'd be cool if for a Chinese mythology story he wielded the Guan Dao of Lord Guan or the staff of Sun Wukong. If he was fighting some ghosts, he'd have his fists and legs wrapped Daoist and Buddhist talismans or he'd be using a ghost repellant jian. But I have to stop short of him becoming, y'know, Phoenix Super Saiyaan.
    That would be cool if Shang-Chi came into possession of some kind of mystical weapon. Though it's actually a bit closer to his character to have his body be powered up vs. a weapon since he's been known more for being a human weapon than using weapons.

It's six of one, half dozen of the other to me TBH. Stark tech or mystical weapons vs. Phoenix infused mystical powers...I'm good with any of that. Tell me a good Shang-Chi story and I'm happy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron POCCulture View Post
    That would be cool if Shang-Chi came into possession of some kind of mystical weapon. Though it's actually a bit closer to his character to have his body be powered up vs. a weapon since he's been known more for being a human weapon than using weapons.
    I'd prefer a weapon or item to be a supplementary item that helps offset the limits of his martial arts in a world full of magic, mutants, aliens, etc.

So perhaps a 9-ring broadsword named 'Ghost Cutter' that can make ghosts visible and cut them, since his martial arts are otherwise useless against intangible spirits, but the sword wouldn't have any sort of magic zaps or whatever, and he's a much better fighter hand to hand than with the sword, so there's no real reason to be using it day to day, only when he has to deal with a ghost that his fists can't touch.

That sort of thing. (A) something culturally relevant. B) something that doesn't encourage him to abandon his core strength of 'boot to head,' just covers for those situations where his natural abilities are not enough.)

All-New Member

Default New 2nd Print Covers of Shang-Chi #1!

As I mentioned before, Shang-Chi #1 is going to a second printing (great news!) and below are 2 of the covers starring Sister Hammer! The sketch variant is 1:25. I LOVE the twist on the first printing covers! They’re going to look so good displayed next to each other!

2C6C0509-62C2-49B9-BF5C-59BA97617FD7.jpg
    257FE430-ABBE-42D6-8E49-065D34A26509.jpg

Been meaning to post this for a few days now. A car chase scene in San Francisco? Hmmm, maybe the movie starts off there? If so, wow, how much of an inside scoop did Gene Yuen Lang have on the movie?

https://sfist.com/2020/10/19/video-m...hooting-in-sf/
    "I am a man of peace."

https://www.gamesradar.com/lady-deat...or-2021-title/

New Shang-Chi one-shot announced for next year.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/lady-deat...or-2021-title/

New Shang-Chi one-shot announced for next year.
    Sounds really cool. "Soul stealing sword" is a bit generic but it's a minor thing. Sounds like Alyssa Wong has got a good read on Shang-Chi. Master Martial Artist with Good Older Brother energy sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Sounds really cool. "Soul stealing sword" is a bit generic but it's a minor thing. Sounds like Alyssa Wong has got a good read on Shang-Chi. Master Martial Artist with Good Older Brother energy sounds perfect.
    Yeah, I liked that characterization as well. Shang has that "Big Brother" vibe. As for the comic, literally went "Oh wow!" when read he'd go up against Lady Deathstrike. Shang's "power" is his skill. But is it enough to go up someone as tough as Lady Deathstrike? Part of me was a little afraid for Shang. Deathstrike has done a number on Wolverine. But so has Shang.

In any case, looks good.
    "I am a man of peace."

Aliens variant revealed.

Aliens variant revealed.

Went a little wide-eyed when saw the variant. Like wow, Shang looks pretty cool here. Secondly, wow, Shang is getting a variant? The big characters are the ones getting variants. Shang is moving up in the world! Cool to see that he's going against vampires in that last issue. Maybe we'll get to see him take on those hopping vampires!

Still, a part of me is a little wary of all the Shang focus. Surprising, I know. For me though, I want Shang's popularity to be based out of genuine interest, not out of manufactured exposure. Use that and people start to complain that "Marvel is shoving Shang-Chi down people's throats" type of thing. Again, the interest should be slow, steady, and natural.
    "I am a man of peace."

Like how Marvel decided to have Shang's costume feature the sash. Adds a dynamic element to the costume.

Looking at the previews, I appreciate how Shang's and Danny's costumes compare and contrast with one another:

An Iron Fist/Shang-Chi crossover again? Maybe Marvel. Maybe.
    "I am a man of peace."