Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Awesome to hear! Maybe we'll get a preview by December/January.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Now all that's left is (hopefully) stuff they can do from home .

Hey all. Preview of Shang-Chi #2 which comes out this Wednesday (10/28):

"I am a man of peace."

Shang-Chi #2 continued:

Interesting things in the preview. Shang and Shi-Hua (Sister Earth) are getting into mischief. Great detail there. Lots of kids do that. Also, I'm liking the use of the dead bodies. Zheng Zu was always noted for his experiments and mutations. Great use of that past history on Lang's part.

That scene with Zheng Zu and his kids though............................................ .........................that touches on very raw nerves. I get Asian discipline. I get Asian obedience. Believe me. There's some of that in there. But this......................... this crosses a line.

I've said in the past that I admired Zheng Zu because of his cunning and intellect. But this really lowered my opinion of him. It adds layers to him, no doubt. But still....

Only complaint is that it's a bit wordy. Don't know, that "unconditional obedience" line seems a bit too much for a kid to say. Otherwise though, I'm intrigued with this issue. Looking forward to reading it this Wednesday.
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Oof! He just started choking him like that. I was not expecting that at all. Thought it'd be a backhanded slap or something. Not like that would have been good but it would have been a little less painful to look at but.

But the preview looks good. If we're going to be seeing a young Shang be this abused I wonder if PTSD is gonna come into play.

Simu Liu is hyped

Marvel's master of martial arts--Shang-Chi--saves the day in his first ever Little Golden Book!

Meet Marvel's master of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi, as he searches for adventure in a world full of danger! As a super spy and master of the martial arts, he teams up with super-powered allies such as Iron Man and the Mighty Avengers to save the day. Boys and girls ages 2-5 will love this action-packed Little Golden Book as they learn about this hero's amazing skills as well as his friends and fiercest foes!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    wow. now this is cool. should have been done decades ago. An entire series of children friendly books based on Shang. No excuse not to do it now. Also digest-manga style books.

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

I can't wait to see Simu as Shang-Chi!

I'm hyped for this movie and I'm refraining from reading the comics till I see the movie lol

I read issue 2 today and liked it. It went in a unexpected direction and I'm fine with it. I like the family dynamic and I'm curious if the deadly staff spot will get filled.

are the stunt team jackets available for purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read issue 2 today and liked it. It went in a unexpected direction and I'm fine with it. I like the family dynamic and I'm curious if the deadly staff spot will get filled.
    My thoughts:

spoilers:
    The first half of the issue definitely had me with the feels. Always wondered how Zheng Zu treated his family. More importantly, we see the effects of that treatment on his kids. That scene with Shang and Shi Hua getting into mischief and trying to scramble out of it, there's a lot of realism in there. Said before, it shows what kind of father Zheng Zu is. Quite frankly, his abuse of his kids just f'd up their relationship. Indeed, I was surprised at how much they cared for one another in the beginning of the story and how that all just went sideway towards the end (the poisoning of Shang? That was a good move. There's something very Chinese about that that I really appreciated).

The second half of the issue, I'm a little apprehensive about. It was a little too sudden and WTF (Shang bleeding stars? Is he an undead zombie now?) but I'm interested in the story elements. Finally, great to read a writer use hun and po. Those are very old Chinese concepts. Never would have imagined that they'd be used in an American comic. Also, totally called it, knew we'd see the jiangshi! Yes, hopping undead Chinese vampires! Also, great to see Sister Dagger and Brother Sword.

Action could have been better. Yeah, it was cool how Shang took down those guards, but fighting against the jiangshi he just uses a knee? That's it?

Finally, interesting reinvention of old Master of Kung Fu continuity. So the Hai Dai and the Order of the Golden Dawn were just the House of the Deadly Hand after all? That works!

All in all, a good, solid issue. Looking forward to where this turns up next!
    end of spoilers
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Wow, a children's book? Marvel is really banking with Shang here!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    My thoughts:

spoilers:
    The first half of the issue definitely had me with the feels. Always wondered how Zheng Zu treated his family. More importantly, we see the effects of that treatment on his kids. That scene with Shang and Shi Hua getting into mischief and trying to scramble out of it, there's a lot of realism in there. Said before, it shows what kind of father Zheng Zu is. Quite frankly, his abuse of his kids just f'd up their relationship. Indeed, I was surprised at how much they cared for one another in the beginning of the story and how that all just went sideway towards the end (the poisoning of Shang? That was a good move. There's something very Chinese about that that I really appreciated).

The second half of the issue, I'm a little apprehensive about. It was a little too sudden and WTF (Shang bleeding stars? Is he an undead zombie now?) but I'm interested in the story elements. Finally, great to read a writer use hun and po. Those are very old Chinese concepts. Never would have imagined that they'd be used in an American comic. Also, totally called it, knew we'd see the jiangshi! Yes, hopping undead Chinese vampires! Also, great to see Sister Dagger and Brother Sword.

Action could have been better. Yeah, it was cool how Shang took down those guards, but fighting against the jiangshi he just uses a knee? That's it?

Finally, interesting reinvention of old Master of Kung Fu continuity. So the Hai Dai and the Order of the Golden Dawn were just the House of the Deadly Hand after all? That works!

All in all, a good, solid issue. Looking forward to where this turns up next!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I thought he was hallucinating from the poison in the crystal cakes? At least that's how it read to me. Although it does feel like something weirder is going on there. I liked the little moments of wit with Shang-Chi in this issue, like rerouting Leiko's plane and telling the henchman he beat up to go into baking. Maybe the issue felt a little bit rushed, even though I still thought it was solid.
    end of spoilers