Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of screams mentor/protege dynamic...
    Ha, yes scream is quite apropos here. Little too fierce for me, but to each their own.

As for Sister Dagger, she seems to have the potential. What that potential is, not quite sure yet. Protege would be nice. Or perhaps the little sister role? Maybe. Defintely like the design:

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Feels like getting us ready for Awkwafina’s role in the movie. But that’s all good she seems like a cool character

Anyone been hearing about this?

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/sh...wong-in-movie/

Benedict Wong and Simu Liu just happen to enjoy some Korean BBQ in Australian? Maybe it's just one MCU Asian actor supporting the project of another MCU Asian actor? Or maybe Dr. Strange and Wong will make a cameo in the Shang-Chi film?

Cool either way.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Thanks for posting this, bro! Thinking since the period of time between issues, creators decided to jump on the King in Black series and highlight Shang. Awesome.

As an aside, I've been thinking of another Chinese led movie that just came out, Mulan. A lot of articles and reviews seem to be giving the movie a mixed (and that's putting it mildly) reception. Reading some of my friends' comments on Facebook, I'm getting this feeling that the newest Mulan is a bad film which is an insult to Chinese culture and features one-dimensional characters. It's a Chinese film that doesn't offer real analysis of Chinese culture, but instead just reemphasizes Chinese stereotypes. Oh yeah, there's that whole uproar over the film thanking that part of the Chinese government that is involved with the suppression of Uighurs.

The most thoughtful critique I've seen of the film comes from Accented Cinema (a really great YouTube channel that analyzes Chinese and Asian films):

Now I haven't seen the film for myself, but with all of this bad press, I don't know if I'd want to. The reason I bring this is up is well, what does this mean for the Shang-Chi movie? Will some of this backlash against Mulan carry over to Shang-Chi? Will Shang-Chi end up reinforcing stereotypes and be one dimensional? I hope not. A rebellious son against a domineering father, that deconstructs, subverts, and goes against Chinese and Asian traditions right there. That, plus some other factors, could be the film's saving grace.

I don't know, am I reaching here? Being too paranoid?
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for posting this, bro! Thinking since the period of time between issues, creators decided to jump on the King in Black series and highlight Shang. Awesome.

As an aside, I've been thinking of another Chinese led movie that just came out, Mulan. A lot of articles and reviews seem to be giving the movie a mixed (and that's putting it mildly) reception. Reading some of my friends' comments on Facebook, I'm getting this feeling that the newest Mulan is a bad film which is an insult to Chinese culture and features one-dimensional characters. It's a Chinese film that doesn't offer real analysis of Chinese culture, but instead just reemphasizes Chinese stereotypes. Oh yeah, there's that whole uproar over the film thanking that part of the Chinese government that is involved with the suppression of Uighurs.

The most thoughtful critique I've seen of the film comes from Accented Cinema (a really great YouTube channel that analyzes Chinese and Asian films):

Now I haven't seen the film for myself, but with all of this bad press, I don't know if I'd want to. The reason I bring this is up is well, what does this mean for the Shang-Chi movie? Will some of this backlash against Mulan carry over to Shang-Chi? Will Shang-Chi end up reinforcing stereotypes and be one dimensional? I hope not. A rebellious son against a domineering father, that deconstructs, subverts, and goes against Chinese and Asian traditions right there. That, plus some other factors, could be the film's saving grace.

I don't know, am I reaching here? Being too paranoid?
    You can sound paranoid but that's part of being a fan. Fans are more protective of what they love and that involves a lot of insecurity and fear over losing it.

Plus you are more invested in his cultural/critical success than i am. So his film's potential failure means more to you than me. I haven't liked Shang-Chi until Greg Pak wrote him so i was gonna go in with little expectation. If it was an Amadeus film or a Kamala film I'd be in your shoes but i never saw Shang chi as relatable or interesting.

The movie could change that but who knows yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    You can sound paranoid but that's part of being a fan. Fans are more protective of what they love and that involves a lot of insecurity and fear over losing it.

Plus you are more invested in his cultural/critical success than i am. So his film's potential failure means more to you than me. I haven't liked Shang-Chi until Greg Pak wrote him so i was gonna go in with little expectation. If it was an Amadeus film or a Kamala film I'd be in your shoes but i never saw Shang chi as relatable or interesting.

The movie could change that but who knows yet.
    Yo, thanks for the comments bro. Yeah, the film's success is important to me for sure. Hopefully people see the movie with an open mind. At the same time, more negative reviews of Mulan have been coming out. I hear the complaint of Mulan being a "chosen one filled with qi" to be a dealbreaker. Makes me think how much of Shang is a chosen one. Was he somehow given the title of the Master of Kung Fu or did he earn it? That'd be a cool story to explore actually.

Also, wanted to share this latest image. It concerns the upcoming Phoenix Force storyline in Avengers. Anyone else see Shang in the background?

"I am a man of peace."

I don't think that should be a problem. The thing is, 1998 Mulan was basically a guile hero. She was very mortal in most respects, and compensated for this by using her intelligence. People went into this expecting that relatable guile hero, and instead got a chi-channeling beast who had no real need to be cunning.

With Shang-Chi, people expect him to be a chi-mystic. It's literally in his name. And Mandarin is famous, in part, for having chi-channeling abilities powerful enough that he can smash Iron Man's armor with karate-chops. So no one is going into a Shang-Chi movie with false expectations. If Shang-Chi and Mandarin are in the same story, some chi is gonna be channeled and the results will be straightforwardly brutal.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I think Shang-Chi will be received similarly to Crazy Rich Asians than Mulan. From the little has been said about the film, Shang-Chi seems to be targeting the Asian-American experience and less that of native Asians. I believe those were Feige's words, or from an official statement from Marvel Studios. Granted, I know that film didn't do as well as some people thought it would in China, but that's actually part of my point.

Honestly I think Marvel have a knack for storytelling a lot better than Disney does. MCU movies generally are a lot better than Disney's live action remakes. And I think Mulan means a lot more to the Chinese than Shang-Chi does. Sure, Marvel still has to impress but I think there's less chance to actually be a disgrace here. I also think that's because Mulan is a historical Chinese epic while Shang-Chi isn't, even though it uses their culture. I'm guessing it'll be like any other Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan/Jet Li/Donnie Yen film made in America with some superheroics thrown in.

Perhaps Chinese people won't go crazy for it, but I doubt they'll go crazy after it either.

https://www.gamesradar.com/shang-chi...-studios-film/

New interview about Shang-Chi's upcoming miniseries. It also confirms Sister Dagger is 13 years old so she's probably gonna be Shang's new apprentice/ward.

Kris Anka's variant.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/shang-chi...-studios-film/

New interview about Shang-Chi's upcoming miniseries. It also confirms Sister Dagger is 13 years old so she's probably gonna be Shang's new apprentice/ward.
    Great interview. Can't help but contrast some parts of Gene's story with my own. In some ways, it's opposite. As compared to him, I dove into reading any comics related to China, especially during the early 2000s. As someone who was just learning about Chinese history and philosophy, I found those comics to be the one of few ways to connect to my heritage. Wasn't a big reader at the time, so it was hard for me to wrap my head around Chinese history and culture books. Loved the specials on A&E and History channel, but I wanted to see the culture depicted in my pop culture ways. So, that's why I liked it when China or Kung Fu anything ended up in comics, especially a Marvel book.

Still, I get where Gene is coming from. For kids who can feel left out because of being Asian, you don't want to hype ostracism and "weird" "other" Asianess more. You don't want to lump yourself into being the guy who just reads the "weird" Asian character books. (And let's face it, those Shang-Chi books, cool as they were, could verge into out there misconceptions on what East Asian philosophy and culture were about). So, I sympathize.

As for the rest of the article, yeah, Shang is this double edge sword for Asians. He's perhaps Marvel's most prominent Asian character, BUT built off of being the "other." So, Gene wants to subvert that, make Shang more human (which I've been saying for years). Other themes, like trying to outrun family, and a major character showing up in the series (crossing the deadly hands that it's Apocalypse!) those are cool. Sister Dagger could be a good sidekick/ward character. Hope she ends up in the Agents of Atlas with Crescent and Pei from Iron Fist. I think all 3 need family, and especially sisters. So, they could fill out that younger sister/older sister vibe in Asian families. And Shang could be the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Kris Anka's variant.

Nice. I'll say that I'm liking the angles here. Like the salute as well. As for the costume, I go with what Gene says, it hits that balance of traditional Chinese and Marvel superhero.
    "I am a man of peace."

That Anka cover is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    That Anka cover is awesome
    Looking at it again in its entirety.....bro, super awesome.
    "I am a man of peace."

Anka never disappoints