Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Hey what Marvel animated shows has Shang-chi showed up in?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    anybody have a take on how many super-powered rogues Shang should have, vs. how many should be (relatively) basic humans?
    Not too many. At the end of the day, Shang is still just a peak level human. Put those who have distance attacks or can fly against him and Shang would be beaten.

I would put some of the upper echelons of the street level villains against him. Off the top of my head, Mr. Hyde, maybe the Wrecking Crew, members of the Serpent Society, y'know superpowered folk that Captain America and Daredevil have fought.

But I still think he should handle relatively basic humans. I was going to steer clear of Spider-Man villains but Kraven comes to mind:

Always wanted Crossbones to become a Shang enemy, They met briefly, but I don't consider that a fight. I want to see Rumlow's raw, thuggish, brutish style against Shang's finesse and technique:

Finally, Batroc. Savate vs. Kung Fu. 'Nuff said:
    Last edited by Tien Long; 05-22-2020 at 07:09 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Mighty Member

With matchup in general, it would be interesting to see Shang take on this man:

Especially since he would be exceptionally skilled but he is not a superhuman in his physical stats. I am assuming that they have never match up in comics but I could be wrong. If you think about it, Shang is a master of various weapons so I could easily see a scene similar to the weapons fight scene with Michelle Yeoh vs Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
    Last edited by taozen; 05-22-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by destinyascension View Post
    Hey what Marvel animated shows has Shang-chi showed up in?
    None. He's been underutilized in just about every medium until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It would've been cool to see him pop in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which probably had the most chance to organically use him of any Marvel show (whereas now it would probably be for synergy).

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Not too many. At the end of the day, Shang is still just a peak level human. Put those who have distance attacks or can fly against him and Shang would be beaten.
    I've always thought that Shang-Chi could feasibly go toe-to-toe against any of Batman's villains. The Dark Knight has the Batplane, sure, but he typically doesn't pull it out to actually battle his foes. Given that he can take on Firefly and Man-Bat I don't see why Shang couldn't-

I also think it's extremely telling that three of the listed villains so far all belong to Captain America (Crossbones, Batroc, and to a lesser extent Taskmaster). Both heroes have similar powersets, but you never really want to see a hero adopt so many of another's rogues gallery.

For me, I'd love to plunder Wolverine's enemies, with Sabretooth being my top pick. I love the idea of witnessing Shang-Chi's calm and poise versus the other's bestial fury. Also think that there should be more crossover between the X-books and the rest of the Marvel universe.

Thinking about it more, I also think that any of Daredevil or Black Widow's rogues should be fair game.

I really would like to see an updated version of Sifan.

sifan.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Did John Buscema draw any Shang arcs, or one-shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Did John Buscema draw any Shang arcs, or one-shots?
    I need to see my epic Collections to be sure but l think he did one issue and a few covers.

Stunning Shang Chi vs Bronze Tiger drawing by Patrick Zircher.

EZA0JlEWkAAA9hA.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

The old school Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Shang Chi entry:

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    With matchup in general, it would be interesting to see Shang take on this man:

Especially since he would be exceptionally skilled but he is not a superhuman in his physical stats. I am assuming that they have never match up in comics but I could be wrong. If you think about it, Shang is a master of various weapons so I could easily see a scene similar to the weapons fight scene with Michelle Yeoh vs Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
    I've been thinking a lot about this. I'm nervous over whether or not Shang could take on Taskmaster, being that the latter knows his fighting techniques as well as that as others. I wouldn't want it to be curb stomp.

But here's the thing, there's knowing the moves and being intimate with them. Shang's techniques are certainly his own. I don't think that Taskmaster could replicate everyone of those techniques with the same strength or speed as Shang. Honestly, I think Shang would be a critical of Taskmaster. All of the mastery, none of the effort. So yeah, it would be cool to see them face off.

That and if Cap can beat Taskmaster, Shang could as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Sadly. Marvel just has to build up that credibility and character.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamPallydin View Post
    I've always thought that Shang-Chi could feasibly go toe-to-toe against any of Batman's villains. The Dark Knight has the Batplane, sure, but he typically doesn't pull it out to actually battle his foes. Given that he can take on Firefly and Man-Bat I don't see why Shang couldn't-
    When Bats takes on Firefly or Man-Bat, he uses some gadgets though, no? At bare minimum, Batman uses batarangs, grappling hooks, and ropes. He uses something that can close the distance and trap in those cases. Shang is too much of a hand to hand fighter, up close and personal. Maybe if he uses tech that he had during his Avengers run, I could see that working.

I also think it's extremely telling that three of the listed villains so far all belong to Captain America (Crossbones, Batroc, and to a lesser extent Taskmaster). Both heroes have similar powersets, but you never really want to see a hero adopt so many of another's rogues gallery.

For me, I'd love to plunder Wolverine's enemies, with Sabretooth being my top pick. I love the idea of witnessing Shang-Chi's calm and poise versus the other's bestial fury. Also think that there should be more crossover between the X-books and the rest of the Marvel universe.

Thinking about it more, I also think that any of Daredevil or Black Widow's rogues should be fair game.
    I hear ya. There have got to be more enemies that Shang can face, those made specifically for him. I definitely think that Shang's father had someone else as his "Master of Kung Fu," like his second lieutenant, in the distant past. Shang is the greatest master of Kung Fu in this time, but I don't think he was the greatest of ALL time. There had to be someone else before him. I'm thinking he and Zheng Zhu had a falling out.

As for Sabertooth....maybe. At first I was going to say no, but if Shang could hang with Wolverine, there could be ways he could deal with Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    I really would like to see an updated version of Sifan.

sifan.jpg
    Been asking that for years. I envision the Sifan as tapping into some Chinese history here. I could see Zheng Zhu having traveled the Silk Road and gained followers from Central Asia or the Middle East. Plus China has always had a history of rebels and anti-government forces. Zheng had to have harnessed those groups.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Totally wish I got this cover. Really amazing.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

When Bats takes on Firefly or Man-Bat, he uses some gadgets though, no? At bare minimum, Batman uses batarangs, grappling hooks, and ropes. He uses something that can close the distance and trap in those cases. Shang is too much of a hand to hand fighter, up close and personal. Maybe if he uses tech that he had during his Avengers run, I could see that working.
    That is very fair, regarding grappling hooks and batarangs. It is unfortunate that Shang-Chi happens to be a street-level hero with even less mobility than Spider-Man (obviously), Daredevil, or even the Punisher (the latter does have that black van). Rooftop battles have always been such a big part of city crimefighting and it's unfortunate he doesn't have a means of traversing them.

As for Sabertooth....maybe. At first I was going to say no, but if Shang could hang with Wolverine, there could be ways he could deal with Creed.
    For me, ever since-

chi.jpg

-and-

shang.jpg

-the precedent has been set that Shang can tussle with foes slightly above his expected weight class. I'm not saying he could go head-to-head with Juggernaut or anything, but if he can face-off against Black Dwarf then Sabretooth feels like fair game. Also, I don't know how to embed images since I'm not on this board much, so sorry they turned out so small.

Mighty Member

I've been thinking a lot about this. I'm nervous over whether or not Shang could take on Taskmaster, being that the latter knows his fighting techniques as well as that as others. I wouldn't want it to be curb stomp.

But here's the thing, there's knowing the moves and being intimate with them. Shang's techniques are certainly his own. I don't think that Taskmaster could replicate everyone of those techniques with the same strength or speed as Shang. Honestly, I think Shang would be a critical of Taskmaster. All of the mastery, none of the effort. So yeah, it would be cool to see them face off.

That and if Cap can beat Taskmaster, Shang could as well.

Sadly. Marvel just has to build up that credibility and character.

I hear ya. There have got to be more enemies that Shang can face, those made specifically for him. I definitely think that Shang's father had someone else as his "Master of Kung Fu," like his second lieutenant, in the distant past. Shang is the greatest master of Kung Fu in this time, but I don't think he was the greatest of ALL time. There had to be someone else before him. I'm thinking he and Zheng Zhu had a falling out.

Been asking that for years. I envision the Sifan as tapping into some Chinese history here. I could see Zheng Zhu having traveled the Silk Road and gained followers from Central Asia or the Middle East. Plus China has always had a history of rebels and anti-government forces. Zheng had to have harnessed those groups.

Totally wish I got this cover. Really amazing.
    That is why Shang vs Taskmaster is such an interesting matchup. Both are human with intensive training. The thing about Tasky is that he is technical enough to give Captain America fits with all of his serum physical gifts which says a lot. Tasky went head to head with DD and Daredevil knew it was going to be a knockout drag out. In fast he was using his own moves against him. Taskmaster waits to see your moves and use them against you. That is why I think it would be such an great matchup. DD beat him by using his radar sense and his ego go outsmart him. If you have not read the matchup he performed an crazy acrobatic flip and knew that if Taskmaster did the same move right after him, he would get hit by a car that was coming around a corner. Shang Chi is so technical that it would be so so interesting to see him match up with someone that can match is technique. Also if Taskmaster is fast and technical enough to hit a defensive wizard like cap is with the shield, he can hit anyone. I think there is a way an expert fighter can beat taskmaster but that character would need to know how Tasky's abilities work and truly understand their own fighting technique.

Mighty Member

I agree with the majority of this. Shockwave shoul certainly be up here. For years, I've always said that Mr. X should become a part of Shang's rogues:

If there's anyone who's really the opposite to Shang-Chi, it's Mr. X. Mr. X is selfish with the martial arts and gives into his murderous desires. On the other hand, Shang-Chi is selfless with Kung Fu and uses them to be compassionate towards all.

I think a lot of people feel that serial killer, psychopath Mr. X would frighten Shang, that his compassion is a weakness. Obviously, those people don't know the Master of Kung Fu.

More power to Gene! Yeah, I love Shang, but let's just say it's been a chore reading through those old comics. The yellow skin, the "noble savage" moments, the dated 70s costume, they all need to be updated. And certainly think Gene can do it. He does the research. Check out his Saints and Sinners story from a couple of years back to see how well he's able to blend real history into a story.
    Mr. X abilities should not work with true martial artist since the essence of martial arts training is getting into the flow where you do not think about the moves. So all the great fighters would need to do is just get into this "flow state" of fighting and Mr. X should not be able to map their moves. They did this with wolverine with his berserker rage but all great martial artist do this. I can see how he easily beat a character like Taskmaster since Tasky is always choosing the moves and telling the opponent whose technique he is using. One writer had Iron Fist using Drunken Boxing since it was so unpredictable and does not have "set techniques" but any style can work against X if you do plan or think your way threw the moves. At least that's my opinion.
    Last edited by taozen; 05-29-2020 at 02:57 PM.