Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

InHyuk Lee’s Shang-Chi #1 variant cover
    Wow this is amazing!

By the way, interesting that marvel hasn’t right away drawn Shang to look more like Simu Liu. They’re usually all over that

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Strangely excited for this new upcoming series. I hope it’s good, with marvel and mini-series you can never be sure.

Been meaning to post this for a while, but this has certainly become one of my most favorite Shang scenes in the past year. Coming from War of the Realms: Agents of Atlas #2, this scene comes right after Queen Sindr says that the Agents are helpless since every weapon they have depends on fire! To which Shang replies:

Honestly, I teared up when I first read that. I'm still tearing up. It reminded me of my sifu and the other sifu's I met in Hong Kong. It reminds me of the long history and culture of Chinese Kung Fu, which, unfortunately, not many Chinese know anymore. It reminds me that even in the midst of all of that, Kung Fu still is alive, that the techniques forged in war and conflict, that could maim and cripple, are just as useful today as they were hundreds of years ago. And Shang is just one of many who continue that tradition. Even against gods, the deadly hands of Kung Fu can meet the challenge.

Just an awesome scene.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-12-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

GENE YANG (W) • DIKE RUAN & PHILIP TAN (A) • Cover by PHILIP TAN
    Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA
    SHANG-CHI PHOENIX VARIANT COVER BY DAVID NAKAYAMA
    DEADLY FAMILY REUNION!
    • Shang-Chi gets to know the family he never knew he had…
    • But which of his siblings can he trust, and which are trying to kill him?
    • Plus, witness the horrifying origin of Shang-Chi’s father!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    An interesting solicitation. And it makes sense. One would think that Shang's father, who's lived for millennia, would probably have more than one child. Yes, there's Fah Lo Suee, but there have got to be so many more. All of them could be fighting one another to claim Zheng Zu's empire. Backstabbing and family intrigue has always been a part of dynastic struggles in China. I can see Shang being the sensible/golden child one who's just trying to keep the peace amongst all of these factions. Throw in a couple of scheming officials in there and you've got yourself a nice Chinese drama. Interested in what is this horrifying origin of Shang's father too. We know that he betrayed his brother. What else has he done?

Now, as for the cover, eh, okay. Philip Tan's work has this hyper realistic style to it, a la David Finch. But it can be a little TOO hyper, y'know? I can see it in the cover. Excited nonetheless though.
    "I am a man of peace."

An excellent quote from Michelle! It seems that she sees parallels between a Shang-Chi film starring Simu Liu and her films like Tomorrow Never Dies and Crazy Rich Asians, films where Asians are not in the back seat, being invisible, and doing stereotypical things. (Okay, Shang is obviously going to do Kung Fu, but crossing the deadly hands here that he'll have full on depth and character).

If she's in this movie, I wonder what she'll do? Shang's mom? Shang's master? That'd be cool. She's already been featured in GotG and, truth be told, I'd like to keep her in that area since she's done a lot of martial arts/Asian culture movies already. There isn't anything wrong with her being in Shang-Chi, seeing her in a space/sci-fi role is something we haven't seen her done often (the Star Trek series notwithstanding).
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    On my Shang Chi cool art search, this image came up. Anyone know who this is?

Yeah that was Shang Tsung from those old Mortal Kombat comics from Malibu Comics I believe. I have them all in a longbox somewhere. They were decent, lots of back story. Mortal Kombat was never a great game but had awesome storylines. I was more of a Street Fighter and later Virtua Fighter guy myself. Kage and Lau Chan FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Good old Ron Lim. I loved his run on Silver Surfer and his underrated run on Captain America. He also drew a Kung Fu comic back in the day called Dragon Lines. Solid art, it was a Journey to the West re-telling IIRC. Have that in a longbox too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

InHyuk Lee’s Shang-Chi #1 variant cover
    Nice. Reminds me of old Oriental Heroes and Jademan stuff. Marvel really should've licensed out Shang Chi to Chinese Manhua publishers to give the Chinese a taste of the Master of Kung Fu.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    An interesting solicitation. And it makes sense. One would think that Shang's father, who's lived for millennia, would probably have more than one child. Yes, there's Fah Lo Suee, but there have got to be so many more. All of them could be fighting one another to claim Zheng Zu's empire. Backstabbing and family intrigue has always been a part of dynastic struggles in China. I can see Shang being the sensible/golden child one who's just trying to keep the peace amongst all of these factions. Throw in a couple of scheming officials in there and you've got yourself a nice Chinese drama. Interested in what is this horrifying origin of Shang's father too. We know that he betrayed his brother. What else has he done?

Now, as for the cover, eh, okay. Philip Tan's work has this hyper realistic style to it, a la David Finch. But it can be a little TOO hyper, y'know? I can see it in the cover. Excited nonetheless though.
    We’ve already seen two of Shang Chi’s other siblings besides Fah Lo Suee. (Bao Yu)

They are Moving Shadow and Kwai Far.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/movingshadoshchi.htm

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kwai_Far_(Earth-616)

As an adopted brother, you could also count Midnight Sun.

Hey all. Just wanted to share this latest IG post from Simu Liu. Wow, dude has been getting that training in! Glad to see that other Asian stars like Tamlyn Tomita, Ronny Chieng, and Steve Terada have given huge props to this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CELRFE0j..._web_copy_link
    "I am a man of peace."

Yeah he’s a massive hunk

shang needs a video game presence and animation presence so badly. Should have happened decades ago.

https://twitter.com/simuliu/status/855832433379352577

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1752518921495576

For a compilation of his stunt demo:

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2471146265

https://enroute.aircanada.com/en/art...imu-liu-marvel

YouÂ’ve done stunts on series like Designated Survivor and Heroes Reborn before. Were you self-taught?

"SL IÂ’ve always been fascinated by martial arts but I didnÂ’t do it growing up because my parents wanted me to focus on school. I started doing parkour and gymnastics at 16, and as I got older, I took a class here and there. When I started acting in Toronto, I tried to do stunts as well because I didnÂ’t want to be picky about jobs I took on."

The guy have for sure some good physical ability, but Tom Holland too, and imo you need far more for Shang Chi, it's a complicated role, and honestly I find him sometimes full of himself and immature, I really don't see him like Shang Chi (he don't look like him). I don't have any confident for the director too, the photos (yes I know there are nothing official) seem to lack any strong visual identity, I have seen 2 of his movies and I don't see why they have chosen him, also when I read this interview:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ke...een-potential/

The leaks if they are real, seem to be a total rip off of immortal Iron Fist and I'm little suspicious that was the project Feige really wanted to do, I'm little concerned too about his real motivation, to make a real Shang Chi movie, or to have another success with a leading minority like for Black Panther ? Sorry if I sound rude, but I find his choices for this movie completly chaotic.

I just picked up the Aero and Swordmaster back up TPB with Shang-Chi and the Epic vol 2 (I hope more get released). I am in for some Kung-Fu fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    shang needs a video game presence and animation presence so badly. Should have happened decades ago.
    Marvel vs. Capcom 4 let's go!
    Last edited by Holt; 08-23-2020 at 06:34 PM.