Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    shang needs a video game presence and animation presence so badly. Should have happened decades ago.
    That would definitely be really fun. And why not? There’s so many games to take inspiration from like street fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    https://twitter.com/simuliu/status/855832433379352577

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1752518921495576

For a compilation of his stunt demo:

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2471146265

https://enroute.aircanada.com/en/art...imu-liu-marvel

YouÂ’ve done stunts on series like Designated Survivor and Heroes Reborn before. Were you self-taught?

"SL IÂ’ve always been fascinated by martial arts but I didnÂ’t do it growing up because my parents wanted me to focus on school. I started doing parkour and gymnastics at 16, and as I got older, I took a class here and there. When I started acting in Toronto, I tried to do stunts as well because I didnÂ’t want to be picky about jobs I took on."

The guy have for sure some good physical ability, but Tom Holland too, and imo you need far more for Shang Chi, it's a complicated role, and honestly I find him sometimes full of himself and immature, I really don't see him like Shang Chi (he don't look like him). I don't have any confident for the director too, the photos (yes I know there are nothing official) seem to lack any strong visual identity, I have seen 2 of his movies and I don't see why they have chosen him, also when I read this interview:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ke...een-potential/

The leaks if they are real, seem to be a total rip off of immortal Iron Fist and I'm little suspicious that was the project Feige really wanted to do, I'm little concerned too about his real motivation, to make a real Shang Chi movie, or to have another success with a leading minority like for Black Panther ? Sorry if I sound rude, but I find his choices for this movie completly chaotic.
    All I can say for his training is that I hope he has done more. If we're talking about authenticity, I would like to see real Kung Fu styles in there. Still, he seems to be on the right track. If he can do a 540 tornado kick, and then some stunt double does the rest, okay, that's done in all of the Marvel movies.

As for Simu himself, I actually like his personality. On his IG feed, yeah, he's posting pictures of video games, bobba tea, and Raptors basketball. However, that shows to me Asian-American (or in Simu's case, Asian-Canadian) interests. A lot of us enjoy this stuff. That makes him relatable to me. Now, I'll have to take your word on Cretton's work. I've not seen his previous stuff. But it seems as though the director and actor have this similar principle of promoting more Asian awareness. If things are smooth on set, then the work is good.

Still, as with Shang-Chi anything, I'm cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I just picked up the Aero and Swordmaster back up TPB with Shang-Chi and the Epic vol 2 (I hope more get released). I am in for some Kung-Fu fun!
    Nice bro. If you'd like more Shang, he's a back up in the Swordmaster stories. Personally, I liked the main story in Aero and the backstories in Aero and Swordmaster. The main story for Swordmaster just seems to drag on however.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

A while back in another Shang Chi thread I mentioned a really good 90s story that I read with Shang Chi but I couldn't remember what series it was but knew it was a anthology series and a multi parter. It was the only Shang Shi story I own and it was the first Shang Chi story I ever read. And I found it. It was the Journey Into Mystery revival. It started off with where it left off in the original series number wise. It was issues 514 - 516.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The cover of the first issue.

Hey all! Thought I'd share with you the latest news on the upcoming Shang-Chi miniseries! Here is the original link off of SyFy:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-ma...chi-miniseries

Here are the preview pages:

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Having Shang work in the bakery brought a smile to my face. Go up Canal St. in Manhattan or the streets and malls in Flushing, and you'll see those little bakeries. Sundays are usually packed and seeing Shang deftly manage all of that shows how much of a master he is.

As for the details of the article, I'm intrigued with this new group. I like the idea that they've been keeping China protected for centuries and that Shang fits into that. How is he related to them I wonder?

As for the art, I'll be honest, I'm digging Dike's art moreso than Philip, though I respect Philip's contributions of Chinese culture. There's more authenticity in these illustrations than previous ones. The face of Shang's father looks menacing and fierce, but not Orientalist and Yellow Peril. A good start.

Finally, I like Gene's description of getting into Shang. I don't blame him, Shang's Kung Fu comics back in the day were a little embarrassing. The early 2000s Shang-Chi mini was made with a lot of love and was pretty cool. However, I get a sense that Gene may have been holding back some criticisms. I have some on that series myself. Aside from that, Gene is intent on showing Shang as a fully realized character, which is all the more important during these times of racism against Asians.

Okay, I like the direction of this. I'll see where it goes!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Beat me to it bro! Yeah, I like this cover. Shang's costume blends in well here with the rest of the characters. Moreover, I like how Dike depicts all of them differently. The design is just really cool and in turn makes Shang look cool.

Here is another variant cover:

Very dynamic!
    "I am a man of peace."

I wonder if they'll call Shang "Brother Fist"?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wonder if they'll call Shang "Brother Fist"?

Would be cool, wouldn't it? Everyone else is marked by a weapon. Except Shang. Because he IS the weapon !

As I'm looking more at this Five Weapons Society, I like how they compliment one another. Brother Sabre has a big strong weapon and looks burly, while Brother Staff looks wiry and thin like his staff. Sister Hammer looks strong and menacing like her hammer, while Sister Dagger is small and lithe like her daggers. Again, they are different in body types, which is a good thing. We're seeing a nice variety here. I could see them trying to gang up on Shang and he simply ducks, dodges, and defeats them all.
    "I am a man of peace."

Wow, Marvel is really going all out with these variant covers. Here's another one by new artist Benjamin Su:

"I am a man of peace."

Love the style and energy of all this art. Now I'm really excited.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Love the style and energy of all this art. Now I'm really excited.
    I hear ya. It's super exciting to see all of these artists supporting Shang through these variant covers. Still, I'm partial to the Inhyuk Lee and Dike Ruan variants.

Also wanted to post this, Simu Liu's response to the passing of Chadwick Boseman. He originally made it on his Twitter feed and CBR has the post here:
    https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-star-s...wouldnt-exist/

want to be crystal clear: without Chadwick, and what he gave to his character, there is no Shang Chi. Period. My career rides on the coattails of a great man.

I wish I would have had the opportunity to tell him in person - but I'll fight for him always, my Eternal King.
    Simu is right. Black Panther showed that a Black led superhero movie could become a financial, critical, and cultural success. It opened the doors for an Asian led superhero movie. Seriously, who thought that Shang would be the second non-white and first Asian Marvel hero to helm a MCU movie? I'm still taking that in. Black Panther proved that it was possible.

Thank you Chadwick. For everything.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-30-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

Preview pages from the upcoming series:

I like what I'm seeing. Seriously, I'm digging this storytelling right now. I always knew that Zheng Zu (or is it Zheng Zhu? Seriously Marvel, gotta get these things straight!) had roots that extended far into Chinese history. The fact that he led the Five Weapons Society and defended China fits with what i always thought about him. (I guarantee you, Zheng Zu is the reason why Apocalypse or the Hand never took over China). This adds complexity to Zheng. Was he REALLY the "devil incarnate" villain or something else?

As for the apartment scene, just awesome. The dialogue is just SOOO perfect. Looks like Gene is writing Shang in the San Francisco Chinatown. Though I'm loyal to NYC Chinatown and Flushing, San Francisco and the Bay area might be good changes of pace. Secondly, YES, they brought back Leiko! And she's not some weird ass Triad demon thing! Don't know how Gene will explain that away, but just glad to see her! And I really like the conversation Shang and Leiko have. Honestly, that's the strongest part of that scene. The use of language, Shang's fortune cookie talk, matters of identity, all of that is featured here.

Things look like they're going in a good direction. Now, I'm REALLY looking forward to this!
    "I am a man of peace."

Here is the rest of the preview:

There's really good flow of action here. It's logical and makes sense. Nice!
    "I am a man of peace."