Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for the post bro. Raises a lot of questions. Looks like the Jiang Li character is the daughter of the Jiang Nan character? Wenwu is an alias for Zheng Zu? Is Katy an alias for Leiko? Ha, the only characters we can be sure of are Shang-Chi and Razorfist. (Hoping we actually get to see the razors!)

As an aside, I've been meaning to ask posters thoughts on the latest Shang-Chi miniseries. I'll be honest, it's been frustrating me. There are a lot of good pieces here. Gene Lang is a skilled writer and Dike Ruan has dynamite art. I'm liking the building of character. Shang-Chi is starting to develop a great, confident personality and walking away from his fortune cookie - ism. We're seeing what type of person Zheng Zu is. He wants to defend China, and will go to any lengths to do so. The use of family, the mixing in of Chinese history and culture with Shang's past history, it's all there....

...but for some reasoning, I'm just not feeling it. Well, not as much as I'd like. These positives, I had to dig down a bit to get to them. My complaints are the dialogue (which though having its moments, is just functional) and the action. Tagging jiangshi is cool and all, but I need to see the Kung Fu. I want to see the kicks, punches, tiger claws, sweeps, throws, etc. These things concern me because I was hoping that this series would make up for years of lackluster stories or guest appearances. I'm concerned because this big movie is coming up and the series should be building the momentum.

Yeah, it's getting late. I'll possibly expand more later. But what are your thoughts?
    I haven't read much of Shang's comics so I was kind of curious if these were actual "name" characters. Seems like that's still not clear .

Thanks for the post bro. Raises a lot of questions. Looks like the Jiang Li character is the daughter of the Jiang Nan character? Wenwu is an alias for Zheng Zu
    Doubt it. The villain will be The Mandarin, not Fu Manchu renamed. If you look at Wen Wu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wen_and_wu it is basically a way of calling him a mandarin without saying the word.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Doubt it. The villain will be The Mandarin, not Fu Manchu renamed. If you look at Wen Wu https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wen_and_wu it is basically a way of calling him a mandarin without saying the word.
    I think most of us are going to be pretty shocked if they haven’t condensed Zheng Zu and Mandarin into one character.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Looks like everyone who had Florian Munteanu as Razor Fist was right on the money.

I think "Xialing" could be the female version of this character : https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Deng_...ao_(Earth-616)

I mean Xialing "sound like" Xiao Ling, to be honest I'm very lost that we don't have the big names from the comics but also no names from the comics at all except two !!!! it's a big surprise that Falacha Chen is not Leiko; I hope that don't mean they will change everything about the original story.

“For this adventure, I wanted to pit Shang-Chi against a villain with an equally agile, physical fighting style,” Wong notes, adding ominously… “Lady Deathstrike seemed like a natural choice.”

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Thanks for the preview bro. Art looks great. Keep thinking how much of a badass Lady Deathstrike is, like how she has those big claws and everything. But then I remember Shang has faced Wolverine before and hasn't backed down. And looking at Deathstrike, y'know she's not too far removed from a Razor Fist. So yeah.....Shang could pull this off. Looking forward to the meeting between these two!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Ha! The classic "Bruce Lee shirt take-off." Love it.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Thanks for the post bro. Raises a lot of questions. Looks like the Jiang Li character is the daughter of the Jiang Nan character? Wenwu is an alias for Zheng Zu? Is Katy an alias for Leiko? Ha, the only characters we can be sure of are Shang-Chi and Razorfist. (Hoping we actually get to see the razors!)

As an aside, I've been meaning to ask posters thoughts on the latest Shang-Chi miniseries. I'll be honest, it's been frustrating me. There are a lot of good pieces here. Gene Lang is a skilled writer and Dike Ruan has dynamite art. I'm liking the building of character. Shang-Chi is starting to develop a great, confident personality and walking away from his fortune cookie - ism. We're seeing what type of person Zheng Zu is. He wants to defend China, and will go to any lengths to do so. The use of family, the mixing in of Chinese history and culture with Shang's past history, it's all there....

...but for some reasoning, I'm just not feeling it. Well, not as much as I'd like. These positives, I had to dig down a bit to get to them. My complaints are the dialogue (which though having its moments, is just functional) and the action. Tagging jiangshi is cool and all, but I need to see the Kung Fu. I want to see the kicks, punches, tiger claws, sweeps, throws, etc. These things concern me because I was hoping that this series would make up for years of lackluster stories or guest appearances. I'm concerned because this big movie is coming up and the series should be building the momentum.

Yeah, it's getting late. I'll possibly expand more later. But what are your thoughts?
    I understand where you're coming from. It doesn't have the kung-fu cinema feel I was hoping for. I was hoping it would be a lot wackier in that regard.

Hey all. Just wanted to update on the some Shang-Chi news:

- Looks as though the Shang-Chi/Lady Deathstrike one-shot will be delayed by about a month. According to gamesradar, it will now premiere in February (https://www.gamesradar.com/legend-of...layed-a-month/

No biggie, I can wait. Really liking the writer, Alyssa Wong's take on the character and decision for using Lady Deathstrike:

Speaking of Wolverine, however, Wong says she chose longtime Wolverine enemy Lady Deathstrike for this story as a viable foe for Shang-Chi.

"For this adventure, I wanted to pit Shang-Chi against a villain with an equally agile, physical fighting style. Lady Deathstrike seemed like a natural choice," Wong said when the book was announced. "She's got adamantium claws and an iron will. In the past, she's faced off against Wolverine (many times!) and even been a reluctant hero. She's a lot of fun. Lady Deathstrike is someone who can hold her own against Shang-Chi; if he wants to beat her, he'll have to get creative."

Wong first learned about Shang-Chi in 2019's War of the Realms: New Agents of Atlas, and quickly came to be a fan due to his "Good Older Brother energy."

"I think Shang-Chi's super interesting: he's a guy who goes toe-to-toe with superpowered metahumans every day, and his special ability is that he's really, really good at martial arts," Wong explained. "That's it. But that's all he needs; he's fast, acrobatic, and literally the best at what he does. I feel like Shang-Chi radiates Good Older Brother energy. He'll protect you and buy you snacks afterward. What else do you really need?"
    I like that perception of Shang, being "older brother." Like, the craziest crap could be happening around you, but "older brother" is calm and can figure it out.

- As reported in Marvel.com (https://www.marvel.com/articles/movi...4FLwbTV44hhh6I , here is the synopsis for Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings:

Opening Summer 2021, Simu Liu stars as Shang-Chi in Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings. Shang-Chi must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
    I've always liked that idea, that Shang tried to leave everything behind. But he really can't. Really giddy again hearing how all of this ties into the first movie in the MCU!
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Selina Lo from Boss Level would make a great leiko Wu. She is a champion martial artist and her character had a entertaining funny cocky personality in the movie that would fit with Marvel's quirky humour
    Last edited by chamber-music; 12-19-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Wow, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings made it on to Times.com's most anticipated movies of 2021 (https://time.com/5922106/most-anticipated-movies-2021/)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (July 9)
    Marvel’s first Asian-led superhero movie stars Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, a martial arts master who must contend with the mysterious Ten Rings crime syndicate (the same terror group behind Tony Stark’s kidnapping in Iron Man). The Destin Daniel Cretton-helmed film, also starring Tony Leung, Awkwafina and Michelle Yeoh, will be the 25th installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Now we've a date, July 9th folks. Is it going to show up in movie theaters, VOD platforms, or a combination of? Part of me hopes it could be the blockbuster that revives the movie industry after the catastrophe that was 2020. Another part thinks it will fall victim to uninterest and a bad movie industry.

C'mon Shang, you can do it!
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

i wonder if we will have to wait until the Super Bowl to get the 1st trailer? I bet so.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    i wonder if we will have to wait until the Super Bowl to get the 1st trailer? I bet so.
    I hope they put together something to show that this will be the biggest, baddest martial arts film ever, but with a big budget and in the MCU! That could really stoke the fires for an audience the way seeing Iron Man for the first time or seeing Neo dodging bullets did for those films.

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1340938159362891776

So this is a test fight for Shang Chi with Simu and the stunt team, I find that extremely mediocre, I take any days Finn Jones fight and...No I'm kidding, I find that very good; Simu Liu
    know how to deal with complicated kungfu choregraphy, he make differents kind of punch and kicks in the same time, he have the rythm, the powers, he don't stop to be cool during the fight,and in the same time he is charismatic and charming, that not something easy to do.