Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Can't wait to see the rest of the costume and read the book. Looks and sounds great.

So an update on the film: Director Destin Cretton has decided to self-isolate himself and production has been halted, due to the Covid-19 cases in Australia (where the movie is currently shooting).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...olates-1284454

As many of you know, Destin, our director, has a new born baby. He wanted to exercise additional caution given the current environment and decided to get tested for Covid-19 today. He is currently self-isolating under the recommendation of his doctor. While he waits for the results of the test, we are suspending 1st unit production in an abundance of caution until he gets the results this coming week. Second unit and off production will continue as normal. We will reach out to everyone by Tuesday for the latest update.

This is an unprecedented time. We appreciate everyone’s understanding as we work through this.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I like what I see here. I've been clamoring for years now that Marvel has to update that costume. I also acknowledged that it would be a tough endeavor, blending traditional with functional looks. I see that here though. The sleeveless look, the sash, they remind me a lot of the uniforms that Southern Chinese Kung Fu practitioners wear.

As for the writer, I'm a huge fan of Gene Yuen Lang. I liked his "Sinners and Saints" series as well as his "Super-Man" series from DC. He's good at adding that authenticity and depth to Asian characters, who are starting to be fully realized as having real personalities and character. Now, it seems as if he had hesitance doing a Shang-Chi series. Lang states in the NYTimes article:

But Yang, 46, avoided the character until college. “It’s that same embarrassment I had in third grade,” he said. “There was a second grader who moved here from Taiwan and the teachers really wanted me to be his friend. I felt embarrassed about it and I didn’t know why.”

He continued, “It was almost like picking up a Shang-Chi comic would have been highlighting what made me different from the other nerds at the comic book store.”
    An Asian reading an Asian character would have made him feel different. And with Shang, it can be embarrassing, since he hovers into Asian stereotypes of stoic Kung Fu master and Yellow Peril. But he highlights how the world has changed, how people can embrace those cultural roots without shame.

As for the story itself, Gene seems to be on the right track. The relationship with his father is one of Shang's defining characteristics. It has to be used. Still, I wonder what other siblings Gene is referring? Will his sister show up? A long lost brother?

In any case, I'm happy to see this. Crossing the fingers that it will lead to bigger and better for Shang!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 03-13-2020 at 04:46 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Terrific cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

So an update on the film: Director Destin Cretton has decided to self-isolate himself and production has been halted, due to the Covid-19 cases in Australia (where the movie is currently shooting).

Yeah, heard about this as well. It's deflating news to be sure. Read about the leaked pics and video from the set of Shang-Chi's film and all that seemed cool. But then you hear about this and well, it's depressing.

Now remember folks, the chances for recovery from the coronavirus are very high. Still, I understand Cretton's concern. Wishing for the best!
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

New set pic

We're getting ninjas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    New costume kinda looks like he raided Shocker’s closet for material.
    I can kind of see what you mean, but it looks like they were going for dragon scales.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the costume and read the book. Looks and sounds great.

I hope everyone is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can kind of see what you mean, but it looks like they were going for dragon scales.
    It could be both. Yang did something similar in New Super-Man
    He tied the Superman El family Crest with the concept of the Bagua.

Shang-Chi could be using Shocker tech as light weight shock absorption armor. But also because the cross hatching looks like dragon scales.

I wonder if the mini will bring the Mandarin/Shang rivalry into the comics in anticipation of the movie?

If I were to write a fight between them, I know how I would do it:

First off, I'd have some plot-device take the rings out of the picture. Maybe Mandarin agrees to unarmed out of honor and macho pride, maybe Shang acquires some plot-device that depowers them, but regardless they are out the picture before the fight starts.

Then I'd play the fight itself as the world's most powerful hardstylist and chi-channeler versus the master of both hard and soft kung fu styles.

At first Mandarin would look completely out of Shang's league. He's flipping cars over with kicks, karate-chopping thick steel walls in half, just physically waaaaayyyy out of Shang's league, even without his rings.

Shang is frantically doing gymnastics to stay alive, and it just looks like it's a matter of time before Mandarin lands one hit and explode's Shang's entire body into gore.

In his thought-baloons, though, Shang notes that Mandarin uses hardstyle moves almost exclusively, and that his hyperaggressive style uses chi like a jet with the afterburners on uses jet-fuel.
    So he'd keep using softstyle and gymnastics until Mandarin ran out of gas. Once Mandarin is completely out of mystic chi, Shang would just go to town on him.

I'd also have Mandarin fight some other guys unarmed to set up how powerful he is. He's decapitate one guy with a single karate-chop. He'd punch at the same moment another guy punches, their fists would meet, and the Mandarin's punch would reduce the other guy's entire forearm to gore. He'd karate-chop an opponent literally in half from shoulder to waist.

Establish that The Mandarin is The Man of Iron: someone whose chi puts him physically on another level so long as that chi lasts. This makes it all the more impressive when Shang's mastery of softstyle redirecting moves runs this seemingly invincible monster out of gas.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

New set pic

We're getting ninjas!!!
    Could be the MCU Si Fan?

The Si Fan would fall under the Fu Manchu copyright. Those are more likely Ten Rings cultists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    An Asian reading an Asian character would have made him feel different. And with Shang, it can be embarrassing, since he hovers into Asian stereotypes of stoic Kung Fu master and Yellow Peril. But he highlights how the world has changed, how people can embrace those cultural roots without shame.

As for the story itself, Gene seems to be on the right track. The relationship with his father is one of Shang's defining characteristics. It has to be used. Still, I wonder what other siblings Gene is referring? Will his sister show up? A long lost brother?
    The more people embrace diversity then the more people will probably feel more comfortable expressing their own heritage without fear of stigma.

There will always be bigots with their petty prejudices but I don't think that should stop anyone from enjoying all the interesting cultures the world has to offer.

I hope they bring back and showcase all his siblings. I think they all offer a different interesting dynamic.

Moving Shadow
    Kwai Far
    Zheng Bao Yu
    Midnight Sun (M'Nai)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Si Fan would fall under the Fu Manchu copyright. Those are more likely Ten Rings cultists.
    Yeah I figure they will probably rename them or make them Ten Ring members. Might be cool to see the Hand show up in this.

Could they be Ten Rings cultists from the past? In the times when Ten Rings henchmen have shown up in the MCU, they've been modern looking. I think of the scenes from Iron Man and Ant-Man:

So yeah, maybe Mandarin henchmen from the past? Elite guards from the present? Army of Fin Fang Foom? I am intrigued

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    The more people embrace diversity then the more people will probably feel more comfortable expressing their own heritage without fear of stigma.

There will always be bigots with their petty prejudices but I don't think that should stop anyone from enjoying all the interesting cultures the world has to offer.
    I hear ya. It's just at times the depiction of East Asian culture, especially in the past, has been treated as a joke in American media. From the 70s all the way up to the recent years, people's thinking of Kung Fu were red pajamas, badly dubbed films, goofy poses, Karate Kid crane kicks, buck teeth, and fortune cookie wisdom. Now some Asian comic book fans can look past that. They know the real history of Kung Fu, have an intimate knowledge of Chinese culture and philosophy, and can recognize what's Yellow Peril, "ching chong" stereotypes and what isn't. Unfortunately, not a lot of other Asian comic book fans can.

Now, however, I think American and Western culture is different. There are depictions of real Asians and their history and culture in a real, serious way. People are becoming aware of that. And a lot of Asians are becoming proud of that.

I hope they bring back and showcase all his siblings. I think they all offer a different interesting dynamic.

Moving Shadow
    Kwai Far
    Zheng Bao Yu
    Midnight Sun (M'Nai)
    Absolutely. I can see a potential storyline where each one is squabbling with one another over who really inherits Zheng Zu's empire. Of course it goes to Shang who really doesn't want it. Family drama right there!
    "I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member

At first Mandarin would look completely out of Shang's league. He's flipping cars over with kicks, karate-chopping thick steel walls in half, just physically waaaaayyyy out of Shang's league, even without his rings.

Shang is frantically doing gymnastics to stay alive, and it just looks like it's a matter of time before Mandarin lands one hit and explode's Shang's entire body into gore.

In his thought-baloons, though, Shang notes that Mandarin uses hardstyle moves almost exclusively, and that his hyperaggressive style uses chi like a jet with the afterburners on uses jet-fuel.
    So he'd keep using softstyle and gymnastics until Mandarin ran out of gas. Once Mandarin is completely out of mystic chi, Shang would just go to town on him.

I'd also have Mandarin fight some other guys unarmed to set up how powerful he is. He's decapitate one guy with a single karate-chop. He'd punch at the same moment another guy punches, their fists would meet, and the Mandarin's punch would reduce the other guy's entire forearm to gore. He'd karate-chop an opponent literally in half from shoulder to waist.

Establish that The Mandarin is The Man of Iron: someone whose chi puts him physically on another level so long as that chi lasts. This makes it all the more impressive when Shang's mastery of softstyle redirecting moves runs this seemingly invincible monster out of gas.

Shang strength level in comics.
    Abilities
    Master Martial Artist: Shang Chi is one of the greatest martial artists on Earth, having been trained possibly since birth to become the ultimate warrior. Shang Chi is skilled in various martial arts with a particular specialization in the Chinese martial arts. He has been shown defeating multiple highly skilled opponents simultaneously as well as superhumans. His great strength and chi (qi) allows him to strike with inhuman force enabling him to break through barriers such as brick, concrete and iron, withstand physical impacts almost to a superhuman degree, and ease all forms of pain and discomfort. Shang has stalemated Iron Fist in single combat, with the two martial artists portrayed as equals while Black Panther stated Shang-Chi is better than Rand.

and
    Shang-Chi possesses the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engages in intensive regular exercise, Shang can lift at least twice his bodyweight, or 350 lbs. Through his use of chi however, Shang can temporarily increase his physical strength to an unknown amount.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Shang-Chi_(Earth-616)

And the Mandarin has been stated by Iron Man to have strength rivaling the armor, has smashed armor that has survived nuclear blasts with his karate-chops, has survived Iron Man's punches, repulsor blasts, and unibeam, and even survived being blasted by all of Iron Man's attacks and his own rings at the same time, albeit with injuries.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Always good to have a Shang-Chi comic.
    Not a fan of the costume though.
    Best one yet has been his Avengers red & black suit.