Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Shang should disband the Ten Rings empire. no need to be even the figurehead leader of a criminal network if you aren't proactive in ending the criminal activity.
    I think you mean the Si-Fan? The Ten Rings of The Mandarin and Fu Manchu's Si-Fan group are separate entities in the comics. They also use different tactics, as The Mandarin is much more of an overtly corporate and military character than Fu Manchu. The Mandarin drops bombs on your head, steals your nation's resources, and enslaves your people. Fu Manchu has an assassin posing as your butler slip poison into your tea. Their organizations are very different as a result, with The Ten Rings mostly composed of extremely well-paid mercenaries and slaves. Whereas Fu Manchu's Si-Fan is composed mostly of devoted cultists.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Shang should disband the Ten Rings empire. no need to be even the figurehead leader of a criminal network if you aren't proactive in ending the criminal activity.
    It's easier said than done, y'know? Whatever Zheng Zhu's empire is called in Shang's upcoming comic, it's vast and filled with a lot of power-hungry people. If Shang's first order the moment he takes his father's throne would disbanding, well, the organization would go into chaos. I can imagine Zaran, Razorfist, Tiger Claw, Fah Lo Suee, and Midnight all scrambling to pick up the pieces and leading factions that get into huge conflicts. These conflicts would cause collateral damage and innocent lives would caught in the process.

Shang could not allow that to happen. He would want to take control to make sure that didn't happen. He has the birthright, skills, and equanimity to control this organization.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

The Shang-Chi movie is being delayed until May 2021 now.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...us-1203550173/

RIP Chinese New Year's release.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The Shang-Chi movie is being delayed until May 2021 now.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...us-1203550173/
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    RIP Chinese New Year's release.
    Just thinking about that. In one sense, I'm glad. May is the month of my birthday . While it is a shame that Shang-Chi won't have that Chinese New Year rub, it's still fitting to be in May. May is Asian Pacific American Heritage month. In a way, Shang-Chi fits better in there. Asian-Americans seem more excited for Shang-Chi than mainland Chinese.

But, let's be very serious here, May is a big movie month. This is the month that unofficially kicks off the summer movie season. Marvel's biggest films and most famous characters (Iron Man, Avengers anything) are usually launched around or in this month since it capitalizes on that summer energy. February or November are safe months since there isn't much competition. A Shang-Chi movie would shine then. But in May? When the amount of action movies starts to get crowded?

There are a lot of factors here. An unknown Asian actor headlines a film directed by an Asian about an Asian character who's popularity in the Marvel Universe is kinda so-so. It could be a disaster.

But.....

A big part of me still believes. I still believe that the Master of Kung Fu can pull this off.
    "I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member

I just saw a review for ip man 4.
    I did not realize they had a actor that look alot like bruce lee or shang chi in the comics.
    Who would you guys would have preferred for shang chi in the mcu universe?
    The current actor for shang chi, Simu Liu or Danny Chan Kwok-kwan?

Danny Kwok-Kwan Chan
    Highly resembles Bruce Lee, which led to his role in Shaolin Soccer.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2185928/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

He was in ip man 3 as well.
    I have not seen these movies yet by the way.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-08-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I just saw a review for ip man 4.
    I did not realize they had a actor that look alot like bruce lee or shang chi in the comics.
    Who would you guys would have preferred for shang chi in the mcu universe?
    The current actor for shang chi, Simu Liu or Danny Chan Kwok-kwan?

Danny Kwok-Kwan Chan

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2185928/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

He was in ip man 3 as well.
    I have not seen these movies yet by the way.
    Danny Chan Kwok - Kwan has been playing a Bruce Lee pastiche character for decades. He really did it back with Shaolin Soccer. But that's all Danny is, just a pastiche. I wouldn't want that with Shang. He isn't an imitation of Bruce Lee. He's something different. Furthermore, I'd want a person who can bring the character and drama to a role. From what I've seen in regards to Danny, (which isn't much mind you, but still) I don't feel those attributes.
    "I am a man of peace."

Interesting article in today's CBR about Groucho Marx appearing in a Shang-Chi title.

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-grouch...s-hackstabber/

As someone who has been reading the Shang-Chi titles from that time, yeah, the Marx cameo fits. There were some really weird, kooky things that happened in the Shang-Chi title. Dealing with the out there concepts of East Asian Culture allows for some really out there concepts in a comic title.
    "I am a man of peace."

Ronny Chieng is going to be in this too?

https://www.cbr.com/report-ronny-chi...arvel-studios/

Hmm, along with Awkwafina, this looks like a Crazy, Rich Asians reunion of sorts! Definitely wonder how Ronny is going to fit into this.
    "I am a man of peace."

I love Ronny, he’s hilarious. I could see him in a Michael Pena type role like in Antman

BANNED

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #11 Apr 1975
    Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu, stars in "A Different Lesson in Blood Unchanged!"
    Violence blackens the future.

The past becomes a blood-red vision.

Shang-Chi faces both,

amidst an angry present!

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Mike Vosburg and Jack Abel.

BANNED

Master of Kung Fu #27 Apr 1975
    "Confrontation"
    Shang-Chi knocks over a television antenna and uses it to reach the roof of Fu Manchu's headquarters.
    He then pulls a rope from a flagpole, ties it to the antenna, and climbs down it. Why?
    He was walking through Times Square when a man in a
    robe stopped him and tried to give him a religious tract.
    A dagger flew out of an alley and hit the man in the back, killing him instantly.
    Shang-Chi recognized the dragon dagger as a Si-Fan weapon.

He smashes through a window and makes his way down through the building.
    In the bottom of an elevator shaft, he kicks through the wall.

Fu tells his Council of Seven that his daughter Fah Lo Suee has found the ruby eyes of Seth-Amon;
    using their hypnotic power, she has begun to recruit Si-Fan assassins to her own service.
    A dragon dagger slams into the table.
    Shang-Chi will hold his father accountable for the death of an innocent man.
    The seven Si-Fan, of course, attack.

Shang-Chi levers the first one into the second and third. He leaps to a beam, breaks it,
    and lets the beam knock down the fourth and fifth, while he lands on the sixth.
    The seventh rushes at him and gets flipped onto the table.

Fu takes Shang-Chi to his laboratory.

He says that the betrayal of his son (Shang-Chi) and then his daughter (Fah Lo Suee) has made him lonely.
    He says that Fah Lo Suee has weakened his control over the Si-Fan
    and that she was responsible for the recent attempt on his life.
    He says that a war is coming, but Shang-Chi can prevent that war by killing him.
    Shang-Chi cannot bring himself to do it. Fu says, "Nothing has changed between us. Nothing."

Later, Shang-Chi thinks, "I carry his last words into the cold night, and I walk long
    in their echo ... until I decide, at last, that once again ... my father has lied to me."

Script by Doug Moench, pencils by John Buscema, inks by Frank Springer.

One of my favorite issues from Shang's appearance in the Avengers was during his helping of Captain Universe in Avengers #6. For that issue, Shang used mindfulness and meditation therapy to help Captain Universe know more about her previous life:

That issue really spoke to me. Shang maybe the greatest fighter alive, but he has other talents as well. His ability to calm and center himself is a great asset.
    "I am a man of peace."

Still one of my favorite Shang-Chi pics ever:

"I am a man of peace."