Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...lers-mandarin/

Well this is disapointing. Not really a fan of Shang being retconned into Jamie Madrox. Feels like a step down. I prefer him as a master of martial arts and chi mysticism, not someone who can zerg an enemy because most of his clones can die without really killing him. The one fun aspect of such a power, watching Shang die to multiple Mortal Kombat fatalities before finally winning, would be ruined by the need to keep things PG-13.
    I am hoping those plot points are not true. I have often said that Shang's character could use some real development but usually Marvel get's the essence of characters correct. Shang fighting against his father who helped make him the master that he is an integral aspect of his character.

Well this is disapointing. Not really a fan of Shang being retconned into Jamie Madrox. Feels like a step down. I prefer him as a master of martial arts and chi mysticism, not someone who can zerg an enemy because most of his clones can die without really killing him. The one fun aspect of such a power, watching Shang die to multiple Mortal Kombat fatalities before finally winning, would be ruined by the need to keep things PG-13.
    Is that site reliable? There are a lot of details coming out about upcoming superhero films, many of which turn out to be false.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-06-2020 at 10:51 PM.

D'oh! Saw a link talking about spoilers on YouTube. Fought the temptation and exited, hoping not to be contaminated with spoilers.......................and then I come here and see a link!

Y'know what, we've been discussing this particular rumor/power about Shang for a long time now. I still don't think they're going to go through with it. Again, it was a one off showing that hasn't been seen since. Shang, master of the different forms of Chinese martial arts, is fine as he is. Just show that Shang is a martial arts badass on the same level as Captain America and Black Panther. That's it. That's all we need.

BUT, okay, if Cretton and the rest go down that route.....alright, it's not a deal breaker. Been waiting a long time for Shang to be on the big screen, so i can manage this. "Army of One" has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I am hoping those plot points are not true. I have often said that Shang's character could use some real development but usually Marvel get's the essence of characters correct. Shang fighting against his father who helped make him the master that he is an integral aspect of his character.
    Father aspect has to be there. I mean, real blood father aspect should be there, not some paternalistic thing. Just a random kid angle? Not my cup of tea. As for Awkwfina in the purported role? .....Hmmm, I don't know. Been watching too many "Nora From Queens" episodes to think of her in that type of role.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is that site reliable? There is a lot of details coming out about upcoming superhero films, many of which turn out to be false.
    Really hoping that these are just some cooked up rumors due to Covid 19 boredom!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

The whole idea of him being an orphan raised to be a super-soldier actually ties in more to The Mandarin's origin than Shang's. The Mandarin's parents died, then he was raised to be a super-soldier. His aunt squandered all of his inheritance on his training because she hated the world.

So if Shang's an orphan given to a group to train into a super-soldier, it stands to reason that Mandarin in this universe began the same way and became the master of the group that trained him. A fairly logical extrapolation of his comicbook origin. In the comics, we're not really told who his aunt paid to train Mandarin to be a super-soldier, only that it cost ever bit of his wealth. In this universe, we are likely to find out that the school that Mandarin was sent to was The Ten Rings.

If so, that's actually rather clever. It fills in gaps left vague in the original comic. In the comic, every bit of his wealth is squandered training him to be the perfect warrior, then he wanders off and just happens to stumble on the rings. He effectively has two origins, one as a super-soldier trained from birth, and a second as a really lucky wanderer. What if those two origins were linked together? He is trained by the Ten Rings, so named after the legendary actual rings. The cult has a rumor that these rings exist. So it trains people, sometimes just to bolster its numbers, sometimes because someone pays them to do it, and the best of them rise to leadership. The cult has searched for the actual ten rings, but only the current leader, the Mandarin, has managed to put all the clues together and actually found them.

In other words, Mandarin's origin as a super-soldier trained from birth is what resulted in him having the clues that allowed him to find the ten rings. That's, actually really clever.

So yeah, if Shang is an orphan trained to be a super-soldier in this world, it was done to give him parallels to The Mandarin.

Hmmm, maybe the introduction of spoilers:
    Omega Red
    end of spoilers could be the reason why Florian Munteanu was cast?

I like the actor and I like that character he might be playing. But why is this character showing up in a Shang-Chi film?
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

This is kung fu:

Mighty Member

Shang vs Spidey:

shang vs spidey.jpg

Mighty Member

So you think you know Kung Fu:

shang by aja.jpg

Mighty Member

so you think you know kung fur part 2:

Mighty Member

Shang vs the Kid

I don't believe the leak for a number of reasons, but claiming that Awkwafina is playing Fah Lo Suee is one of the big red flags. She wasn't created by Marvel and would fall under the same legal issues as Fu Manchu.

The whole idea of him being an orphan raised to be a super-soldier actually ties in more to The Mandarin's origin than Shang's. The Mandarin's parents died, then he was raised to be a super-soldier. His aunt squandered all of his inheritance on his training because she hated the world.

So if Shang's an orphan given to a group to train into a super-soldier, it stands to reason that Mandarin in this universe began the same way and became the master of the group that trained him. A fairly logical extrapolation of his comicbook origin. In the comics, we're not really told who his aunt paid to train Mandarin to be a super-soldier, only that it cost ever bit of his wealth. In this universe, we are likely to find out that the school that Mandarin was sent to was The Ten Rings.

If so, that's actually rather clever. It fills in gaps left vague in the original comic. In the comic, every bit of his wealth is squandered training him to be the perfect warrior, then he wanders off and just happens to stumble on the rings. He effectively has two origins, one as a super-soldier trained from birth, and a second as a really lucky wanderer. What if those two origins were linked together? He is trained by the Ten Rings, so named after the legendary actual rings. The cult has a rumor that these rings exist. So it trains people, sometimes just to bolster its numbers, sometimes because someone pays them to do it, and the best of them rise to leadership. The cult has searched for the actual ten rings, but only the current leader, the Mandarin, has managed to put all the clues together and actually found them.

In other words, Mandarin's origin as a super-soldier trained from birth is what resulted in him having the clues that allowed him to find the ten rings. That's, actually really clever.

So yeah, if Shang is an orphan trained to be a super-soldier in this world, it was done to give him parallels to The Mandarin.
    Totally cool with Shang being a super-soldier. If it fits with the Mandarin's backstory, that's great. It seems to fit with Shang's anyway. Trained from birth to be the best, that's perfectly acceptable. But duplication powers? I said before it wasn't a deal breaker, but it's inching slowly to breaking the deal for me.

This is kung fu:

I think there would be a great contrast if you had Shang in his new costume:

The yellow and green of Iron Fist would contrast with the red, yellow, and green of Shang. Danny's yellow sash would contrast with Shang's green one.

So you think you know Kung Fu:

shang by aja.jpg
    It took me a while to like this issue. Yes, it had David Aja art, but the Game of Death jumpsuit motif has been done, well, to death. Still, there were a lot of good scenes in that issue. Shang breaking a guy's leg was one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't believe the leak for a number of reasons, but claiming that Awkwafina is playing Fah Lo Suee is one of the big red flags. She wasn't created by Marvel and would fall under the same legal issues as Fu Manchu.
    Crossing the deadly hands of Kung Fu bro! Here's hoping that leak is bunk.
    "I am a man of peace."

Speaking of Shang breaking a guy's leg:

"I am a man of peace."

Just read some spoilers. So MCU Shang is going to be turned into...Naruto?! I hope these spoilers aren't true.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Speaking of Shang breaking a guy's leg:

im still thinking about EEEEEEEGH guy to this day
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate