Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN: KING IN BLACK #3 (OF 5)
    Peter David (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY DECLAN SHALVEY
    Forces collide!
    Take a trip with SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN as he aligns himself with…KANG THE CONQUEROR? That can’t be right.
    Be here in January to see how the pieces fit as Spider-Man heads to space!
    You’ll never guess who else is here to help Spidey! (Hint: She’s on the cover!)
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-so...-january-2021/
    Cool, love to see Monica and Spider-Man team up. I mean he was the first superhero she met.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 10-28-2020 at 06:11 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member

So has anyone reading the current Captain Marvel story?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    no. is Monica in it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yep. I wonder if Carol Rhodes is Monica's daughter or not. She said that her mom knew Carol Danvers too, so it could be Monica--although if it was her, I'm not sure why they're not just coming out and saying it. They've been pretty up front with the parentage of several of the other descendants we've met here.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yep. I wonder if Carol Rhodes is Monica's daughter or not. She said that her mom knew Carol Danvers too, so it could be Monica--although if it was her, I'm not sure why they're not just coming out and saying it. They've been pretty up front with the parentage of several of the other descendants we've met here.
    Carol Rhodes? Carol as in Carol Danvers and and Rhodes as in James Rhodes? Sounds like an alias.

Could be but I hope not It’s not..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Carol Rhodes? Carol as in Carol Danvers and and Rhodes as in James Rhodes? Sounds like an alias.
    Daughter of Jim Rhodes and an as-yet unidentified woman who also knew Carol Danvers. She was apparently named "Carol" as well in honour of Carol Danvers. Her powers appear to include intangibility and invisibility--which could make sense for a child of Monica, since she is intangible in energy form and can manipulate light to cause invisibility.

Extraordinary Member

Daughter of Jim Rhodes and an as-yet unidentified woman who also knew Carol Danvers. She was apparently named "Carol" as well in honour of Carol Danvers. Her powers appear to include intangibility and invisibility--which could make sense for a child of Monica, since she is intangible in energy form and can manipulate light to cause invisibility.
    At this point, who else could it be? There’s no one else that Carol knows in the present that Carol Rhodes could inherit those powers from.

Moonstone can turn intangible but not invisible.

Technically, Monica is invisible in all but her photon/light form, as the other wavelengths of the spectrum are invisible to the human eye. It's one of the things that the comics get wrong whenever they indicate that Monica can be seen by everyone when she's infrared or microwave energy.

But getting back on point, I imagine anyone could be the girl's mother. There's no hard and fast rule about children having the same powers as their parents, although, sadly, it happens way too often in comics. Magneto and Polaris come most immediately to mind.

James Rhodes dated Carol. If he turns around and hooks up with Monica in any reality I'll be disgusted. They've already screwed Monica by making her a kid and fawning supplicant of Carol in the MCU. But comic book Monica should be her own woman, with her own life and loves completely separate from Carol. Stop the madness, please.

Astonishing Member

Technically, Monica is invisible in all but her photon/light form, as the other wavelengths of the spectrum are invisible to the human eye. It's one of the things that the comics get wrong whenever they indicate that Monica can be seen by everyone when she's infrared or microwave energy.
    Perhaps Monica uses her holographic abilities to make herself visible. Or perhaps its something about her specific nature as a human being who converts into that energy that makes it function differently than regular, real-world properties of those wavelengths.

But getting back on point, I imagine anyone could be the girl's mother. There's no hard and fast rule about children having the same powers as their parents, although, sadly, it happens way too often in comics. Magneto and Polaris come most immediately to mind.
    True enough, the powers don't have to follow the bloodline. However, as you mentioned, there are plenty of examples already where it has happened--so its possible.

James Rhodes dated Carol. If he turns around and hooks up with Monica in any reality I'll be disgusted. They've already screwed Monica by making her a kid and fawning supplicant of Carol in the MCU. But comic book Monica should be her own woman, with her own life and loves completely separate from Carol. Stop the madness, please.
    While I agree in principle with much of what you've said there, its worth noting that the idea of a Rhodey/Monica romance was floated long before Rhodey/Carol ever happened. Rhodey made passes at Monica in both the original SECRET WARS and Monica's first CAPTAIN MARVEL one-shot. Monica turned him down both times though.

Given the nature of the superhero dating pool, its not uncommon for a hero to end up dating or sleeping with someone who used to be involved with a friend of theirs though -- so I wouldn't say Carol and Monica dating the same man has to mean anything about Monica following in Carol's footsteps or anything like that. That said, I would prefer to not have a Monica/Rhodey thing either.

Perhaps Monica uses her holographic abilities to make herself visible. Or perhaps its something about her specific nature as a human being who converts into that energy that makes it function differently than regular, real-world properties of those wavelengths.
    Right, but by "holographic" we're really just talking about photons. I would guess that it's easier for writers to pretend that the real science doesn't apply in every instance. There's nothing metaphysical about Monica's electromagnetic energy forms that normal humans should be able to visually detect.

If anything, I'd give a writer a ton of respect if they actually used the fact that Monica was invisible most of the time in their story. We often hear lip service to how powerful and dangerous a person with Monica's powers would be, but no one really thinks to use the most obvious aspect of her power. You can't see her coming, and you never realize that she's there when your body explodes into red spatter and pink mist. And it all happens nearly instantaneously because the speed of light moving aggressively in close quarters is faster than your speed of thought. Unless you're the Flash and have the Speed Force bolstering your perceptions.

While I agree in principle with much of what you've said there, its worth noting that the idea of a Rhodey/Monica romance was floated long before Rhodey/Carol ever happened. Rhodey made passes at Monica in both the original SECRET WARS and Monica's first CAPTAIN MARVEL one-shot. Monica turned him down both times though.
    Yes, I remember.

I don't mean to suggest that Rhodes is beneath Monica or tainted in any way, I just think the writers owe it to themselves to put in the work and create someone special and unique just for Monica. Someone new. It doesn't have to be Blue Marvel. But it definitely shouldn't be any of the usual cast of "available" men ... and certainly no one that has dated Carol. Monica just doesn't seem the type to be with someone that was intimate with one of her girlfriends. It's a character point, if not a line that she doesn't need to cross.

In the real world, a woman like Monica would have endless options. Mostly from men who would eagerly step over/around/through Carol, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Jean Grey, Mary Jane Watson, etc., etc., to get to Monica. That's the guy that I want to see created. Someone that truly sees her and only her.

But doesn't it make more sense for the children to inherit the same powers as their parents instead of different abilities completely unconnected to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But doesn't it make more sense for the children to inherit the same powers as their parents instead of different abilities completely unconnected to them?
    at least someone gets it
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

New Monica merch from WANDAVISION...
    https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...SPek4ILXzM4fZU

very cool. hopefully lots of Spectrum merchandise soon- t-shirts, cups, hats, etc.