Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I'm curious about what Greg Pak or Warren Ellis would bring to the character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I think Spencer would be a great writer, actually. Spencer's writing would fit Danny's sense of humor.
    Not hardly.

Spencer's writing is like a knock knock joke. Even if you don't know the exact details, you know what he's gonna say.

He'd make Danny a loser, in line with his Netflix self, and then graft a member of his Superior Sinister Six onto the cast.

Hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Not hardly.

Spencer's writing is like a knock knock joke. Even if you don't know the exact details, you know what he's gonna say.

He'd make Danny a loser, in line with his Netflix self, and then graft a member of his Superior Sinister Six onto the cast.

Hard pass.
    Not necessarily. He doesn't write Spider-Man, Sam Wilson or Steve Rogers like that (you can criticize his writing of Steve but "writing him as a loser" was not an issue with him).

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Not hardly.

Hard pass.
    So Speed Demon or Overdrive teams up with Danny? I could live with that .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not necessarily. He doesn't write Spider-Man, Sam Wilson or Steve Rogers like that (you can criticize his writing of Steve but "writing him as a loser" was not an issue with him).
    Spider-Man has Boomerang as a cast member and yes, the Parker luck is in full force. And remember that Spencer has Sam Wilson quit being Cap.

I can't think of a writer more likely to 'punish' Danny for being the 'mighty whitey/white savior' trope than Spencer, as opposed to fixing him for the modern era

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    What would be the 3 to 5 story ideas you all would want to see in a new Iron Fist series (mini or ongoing)?
    I think top of my list is something I DON'T want to see: Danny is shocked when he finds the power of the Iron Fist failing/ it is taken from him/ whatever; writers have got to stop going back to that well, it is bone-dry.

As a counterpoint to all the mystical stuff, I'd like to see Danny do a mission for SHIELD, perhaps developing a relationship with Nick Fury JR. In that context it would be cool to see him go up against a Treadstone-like super-soldier - someone (or someones) with a more special-forces background rather than steeped in a traditional Asian school of martial-arts. Warhawk with his concrete-like skin was very much a brick - I'd like someone (or perhaps a team of rogue super-soldiers) much more comparable to Iron Fist, but with more obvious emphasis on science-based augmentation, less mysticism and spiritualism. I think that clash could work.

I'd also like to see Danny put together a small crew, similar to the Confederates of the Curious that Orson had, and go on adventures to far-off places. Perhaps Professor Gamble could be involved? I'm thinking of a support team rather than a super-hero team. Rather than throwing together a bunch of heroes and then either forcing Danny to share the limelight with them or, worse still, chumping them out to make Danny look good, have it modelled on the Mission Impossible series with Danny in the Ethan Hunt role, backed up by non-combatant helpers, plus perhaps a female hero love-interest to help him in fights. Maybe Elsa Bloodstone? She might work well with Danny.

I'd like to see the Heroes for Hire costume return - it's very practical-looking, and not too bland either.

Spencer wanted to do an Iron Fist run with Samnee and is a PM/IF superfan.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Danny Rand, Iron Fist villains: So many say Master Khan is his archvillain but I believe its Davos the Steel Serpent (later Steel Phoenix). He is basically the evil Iron Fist. The son of Danny's instructor, Lei Kung (the Thunderer), Davos lost to Danny father in the K'un-L'un tournament to earn the right to face the undying dragon, Shou Lao. Davos, being such a narcissist, snuck and fought Shou-Lao and lost. He knew the way to beat the dragon but did not have the fortitude to withstand the pain of blocking the dragon's life energy. Davos did feel the dragon's energy coarse through him and as a result, is able to steal the Iron Fist from Danny.

Looking back at the previous matches, Danny is a better technical fighter and he is tougher than Davos. But if Davos can begin the fight with a sneak attack and catch Danny unawares, he is skilled enough to beat him. I see Davos as a bigger, stronger and more experienced fighter than Danny. But Danny is more skilled, faster and tougher.

I loved the way he was written by Fraction/Brubaker in the Immortal Iron Fist. They gave Davos the arrogance and presence that rivals characters like Doom and Namor.

Old school costume as Serpent:

Davos in action:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taozen; 03-29-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sure it'll be nothing short of greatness, rivaling Fraction's running.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 03-27-2020 at 10:30 AM.

so with all of the historic Iron Fists, has there ever been an Iron Foot, but from another clan?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so with all of the historic Iron Fists, has there ever been an Iron Foot, but from another clan?
    LOL. I dig the TMNT reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    No. Closest would be Danny and Orson but they were still raised in K'un l'un. I don't see K'un L'un wanting an Iron Fist that isn't from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

As a counterpoint to all the mystical stuff, I'd like to see Danny do a mission for SHIELD, perhaps developing a relationship with Nick Fury JR. In that context it would be cool to see him go up against a Treadstone-like super-soldier - someone (or someones) with a more special-forces background rather than steeped in a traditional Asian school of martial-arts. Warhawk with his concrete-like skin was very much a brick - I'd like someone (or perhaps a team of rogue super-soldiers) much more comparable to Iron Fist, but with more obvious emphasis on science-based augmentation, less mysticism and spiritualism. I think that clash could work.
    I'd like that clash. It would be cool to see "...wait, what?" Danny, with his ancient, mystical martial arts training clash against someone who is militaristic, special forces. Flowery, K'un Lun movements versus a Krav Maga/no-nonsense style. The fights would be great. It needs a really skilled artist to get that contrast of styles.

Still, whoever this special forces guy is, he or she shouldn't underestimated Danny. Because, at the end of the day, Danny can be very no-nonsense too .

I'd like to see the Heroes for Hire costume return - it's very practical-looking, and not too bland either.
    I've been vocal before about seeing that old costume back. Wouldn't mind at all. Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind if the 90s version of the Heroes for Hire would come back in some way. It's just got to be anchored by Heroes for Hire folk. Luke and Colleen have to be on the team. Pei and Power Man would be the fresh faces. Misty, maybe would have cameos here and there, but I hear she's off at Ravencroft right now. Some other new street hero folk could round out the team.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Danny Rand, Iron Fist villains: So many say Master Khan is his archvillain but I believe its Davos the Steel Serpent (later Steel Phoenix). He is basically the evil Iron Fist. The son of Danny's instructor, Lei Kung (the Thunderer), Davos lost to Danny father in the K'un-L'un tournament to earn the right to face the undying dragon, Shou Lao. Davos, being such a narcissist, snuck and fought Shou-Lao and lost. He knew the way to beat the dragon but did not have the fortitude to withstand the pain of blocking the dragon's life energy. Davos did feel the dragon's energy coarse through him and as a result, is able to steal the Iron Fist from Danny.

Looking back at the previous matches, Danny is a better technical fighter and he is tougher than Davos. But if Davos can begin the fight with a sneak attack and catch Danny unawares, he is skilled enough to beat him. I see Davos as a bigger, stronger and more experienced fighter than Danny. But Danny is more skilled, faster and tougher.

I loved the way he was written by Fraction/Brubaker in the Immortal Iron Fist. They gave Davos the arrogance and presence that rivals characters like Doom and Namor.
    I somewhat alluded to this in my previous post, but I think we're at that stage when Danny and Davos have to team-up. Bitter enemies put aside differences to fight a bigger threat kind of thing like Spider-Man and Venom. At the end of the day, though their differences are pretty profound, they want the best for K'un Lun.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I could imagine that Pak would be hesitant about writing an Iron Fist series. Having read his Twitter fee often, I know that he's very passionate about supporting Asian-American causes, especially representation in media. He'd be the guy who'd talk about white savior/cultural appropriation this, that, and the other thing with Danny. Still, part of me thinks he could do it. Yes, he'd write a title that points out the criticisms of Iron Fist's dubious background, but he'd also be the one to show that Danny is still a good character, that he's hero who still has meaning. Having an Asian in this creative role grants inclusion. When there is inclusion, especially of those who feel that they've been left out of the depictions of their culture, that blunts the criticisms of cultural appropriation and white savior.

Again, I'm speculating here and yeah I'm saying some lofty things. But yeah, having Pak would be great. I think Pak's sense of humor would be a great fit with Danny.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Well said Tien.

If Pak wants to do one of the immortal weapons instead, I'd be cool with that.

To me, i thought the portal in Immortal Iron Fist was a cool way to explore Kun Lun. It would allow us to develop it while still having him available for the usual crossover.

Mighty Member

Really cool piece: