Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So she should lead her own team then?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I meant less leading the baby mutants and more leading a group of like Ms. Marvel, Miles, Robbie Reyes, Amadeus Cho, etc. Although now that I think about it that would kind of make her the 'Wolverine' of the younger generation
    I always thought Laura should have been the X-Men representative on Champions instead of Kid Cyclops, so I see where you’re going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    To be honest, after her character development in ANW, I don't really want to see Laura get shoved onto one of the many mutant murder squads like X-force anymore. Kind of felt she had grown past that.

My ideal videogame with her is something like Persona with the younger Marvel characters. She's in a weird space where she's older than most of them but not quite old enough to be with the main-ish groups. Would make her a good leader for the younger heroes.
    The beauty of a game is that it doesn't have to tie into current book continuity, and can do its own thing. And even if you did want to base it on 616 it doesn't have to be "present day," but can instead go back to an earlier period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    No, putting X-23 on one of the baby new mutants books would be the real hell.

She's graduated into a mainstream character. Should definitely be on one of the major X-Men teams.
    Agreed. I'm tired of seeing her cut out of the main teams and stuck at the kiddie table. She SHOULD have been on the flagship coming out of Secret Wars, but Marvel chickened out and brought in OML instead.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I always thought Laura should have been the X-Men representative on Champions instead of Kid Cyclops, so I see where you’re going.
    They have Dust as an active member and Gabby as a reservist now.

I wonder if some X-23 super fans can help me out? I'm writing a guide for Laura and wondered what stories you would include? The guide will be about 10-11 stories hopefully and I've got this so far:

X-23 (first series)
    Uncanny X-Men New Age (meets the X-Men)
    New X-Men (specific arc?)
    Target X
    X-Force
    Liu's run (favourite arc?)
    Taylor run (favourite arc?)
    X-23 Tamaki

I also considered Avengers Arena stuff and All-New X-Men but were these well received by fans? I didn't enjoy them too much.
    I definitely wanted a focus on Laura and not just blended into the background team member.

Quote Originally Posted by misty101 View Post
    I wonder if some X-23 super fans can help me out? I'm writing a guide for Laura and wondered what stories you would include? The guide will be about 10-11 stories hopefully and I've got this so far:

X-23 (first series)
    Uncanny X-Men New Age (meets the X-Men)
    New X-Men (specific arc?)
    Target X
    X-Force
    Liu's run (favourite arc?)
    Taylor run (favourite arc?)
    X-23 Tamaki

I also considered Avengers Arena stuff and All-New X-Men but were these well received by fans? I didn't enjoy them too much.
    I definitely wanted a focus on Laura and not just blended into the background team member.
    All-new X-men was out of character garbage best forgotten.

Might want to include NYX, first appearance (third timeline wise, but caps her origin story.)
    Made a timeline for her major appearances... needs to be updated.

X-23 timeline.jpg
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-29-2020 at 06:40 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Thanks, I did think about NYX but I remember when this book was originally released, it was plagued by delays, cancelled after 7 issues and nobody really cared about it past the art.
    Which arcs are your favourite from the long runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post

Might want to include NYX, first appearance (third timeline wise, but caps her origin story.)

X-23 timeline.jpg
    Really good graphic!

Thanks, I did think about NYX but I remember when this book was originally released, it was plagued by delays, cancelled after 7 issues and nobody really cared about it past the art.
    Mercury Falling is probably the most significant from New X-men for her, Liu; Collision or Touching Darkness. Taylor; Orphans of X (though that might require context from the previous arcs.), the Father Lost (issue #7), and Generations one shots might be worth something too. (Enemy of the state 2 is probably the most narratively significant story of Taylor's run... but it's also the worst.)
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-29-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post

X-23 timeline.jpg
    In hindsight, there's SOME stuff about Bendis' ANXM that had promise. I thought the setup between X/Teen Scott was actually quite well done and there was a sweetness to their interactions, and I did like Laura's reaction to learning just how big of a shithole Ultimate Universe was. It was mainly hamstrung by making no @#$%ing sense continuity-wise, (we never learned how she went from being put on a medical evac chopper after Arena to wandering Miami in an amnesiac state) Bendis just not being able to get her voice right, the nonsensical Angel romance, (tho I'm still of the opinion that was on Marvel Editorial rather than Bendis) and that she was just plain poorly utilized.

Uncanny is definitely skippable. It's VERY rarely mentioned these days, Claremont honestly just didn't write her well, and causes too many continuity problems going from Target X to NXM.

I really don't like the "canon" placement of NYX in the timeline as being AFTER Target X. Once again, it makes no sense. IMO her story flows better if you assume that the frame story of Target X with Cap and Murdock is set AFTER but Megan and Debbie is set before (so Innocence Lost > San Francisco > NYX > Laura meets Logan and is captured > Interrogated and released by Cap > NXM).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    In hindsight, there's SOME stuff about Bendis' ANXM that had promise. I thought the setup between X/Teen Scott was actually quite well done and there was a sweetness to their interactions, and I did like Laura's reaction to learning just how big of a shithole Ultimate Universe was. It was mainly hamstrung by making no @#$%ing sense continuity-wise, (we never learned how she went from being put on a medical evac chopper after Arena to wandering Miami in an amnesiac state) Bendis just not being able to get her voice right, the nonsensical Angel romance, (tho I'm still of the opinion that was on Marvel Editorial rather than Bendis) and that she was just plain poorly utilized.

Uncanny is definitely skippable. It's VERY rarely mentioned these days, Claremont honestly just didn't write her well, and causes too many continuity problems going from Target X to NXM.

I really don't like the "canon" placement of NYX in the timeline as being AFTER Target X. Once again, it makes no sense. IMO her story flows better if you assume that the frame story of Target X with Cap and Murdock is set AFTER but Megan and Debbie is set before (so Innocence Lost > San Francisco > NYX > Laura meets Logan and is captured > Interrogated and released by Cap > NXM).
    I continue to disagree with you.
    Context is king.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    So she should lead her own team then?
    Yes! Yes, she should. I hope she gets to at some point. I know she's in a bit of limbo right now, but I hope that gets resolved by the end of the year.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I liked NYX.. interesting story, cool characters, and a nice view of what can happen for street level teen mutants when there’s no X-Men to help them out.. it wasn’t so much cancelled as the story was complete. And this story does get referenced in X-23’s backstory in other books.. so I would say give it a read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I liked NYX.. interesting story, cool characters, and a nice view of what can happen for street level teen mutants when there’s no X-Men to help them out.. it wasn’t so much cancelled as the story was complete. And this story does get referenced in X-23’s backstory in other books.. so I would say give it a read.
    As I understand it, NYX was supposed to be an ongoing and what we got was just the opening arc.

And I agree, I quite enjoyed the story, while it showed an underrepresented aspect of mutant life. We just don't see enough of what happens to "civilian" mutants when the X-Men aren't there, and what sorts of struggles they can face. Also, IMO Laura's situation was VERY realistic, especially once you factor in her origins and upbringing.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 07-29-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    As I understand it, NYX was supposed to be an ongoing and what we got was just the opening arc.
    Fair enough, it still works as a mini. The end didn’t feel truncated like other books that got cancelled.