Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I wonder if they had to start eating Laura for food in the vault ? Wonder what they did for water or going to the bathroom?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I know science in comic books is.....bad, but the idea they just doubled the X chromosome from Logan to make Laura makes for some hilariously bad science. It would be like breaking a statue in half, and trying to 'fix' it using two copies of the top half. The explanation with her mom is closer to something that might actually work.
    Not, really.

The functions of chromosomes in chromosome pairs are interchangeable, with each one randomly expressing itself in each given cell. It's more like cutting a statue in half lengthwise and repairing it by mirroring the existing half.

Admittedly the XY chromosome have some unique characteristics to them, and I'm sure an actual geneticist could speculate on all the weird and horrifying things this could result in, but on a surface level it works.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

The other thing to remember is that the X and Y chromosomes comprise only a single pair out of the TWENTY-THREE pairs of chromosomes that make up a human being. You literally cannot grow a human being JUST from the XY or XX pair, but would need an entire — intact — genetic code to create a viable clone OR to artificially inseminate an viable egg cell. So if Logan's sample was degraded across the board there still needs to be a source of valid DNA to repair the remainder of the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I wonder if they had to start eating Laura for food in the vault ? Wonder what they did for water or going to the bathroom?
    All Synch needs to due is copy Darwin's powers to adapt and survive and he'll be fine. No need to result to cannibalism.

IF anything Laura is the weak link. Who knows how long her healing factor can sustain her in the hypertime of the vault.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The other thing to remember is that the X and Y chromosomes comprise only a single pair out of the TWENTY-THREE pairs of chromosomes that make up a human being. You literally cannot grow a human being JUST from the XY or XX pair, but would need an entire — intact — genetic code to create a viable clone OR to artificially inseminate an viable egg cell. So if Logan's sample was degraded across the board there still needs to be a source of valid DNA to repair the remainder of the code.
    Again, they were reconstructing the damaged parts, on there most basic level, to the genome they had on record; not just plugging the gaps with DNA.

Sure you could add in a scene where Sarah says "%$#@ it! This is taking to long! It's only 0.5%, and is not going to effect anything relevant!", then stab herself in the finger; and it wouldn't be particularly disruptive to the established narrative, but that would be neither necessary for her origin to make sense or reflective of the methods they were applying.

But this digression into real world science is again, not really relevant, in a universe where basically all the science does not hold up to surface level scrutiny. The narrative needs to make sense, the science does not.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 04-06-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Again, they were reconstructing the damaged parts, on there most basic level, to the genome they had on record; not just plugging the gaps with DNA.

Sure you could add in a scene where Sarah says "%$#@ it! This is taking to long! It's only 0.5%, and is not going to effect anything relevant!", then stab herself in the finger; and it wouldn't be particularly disruptive to the established narrative, but that would be neither necessary for her origin to make sense or reflective of the methods they were applying.

But this digression into real world science is again, not really relevant, in a universe where basically all the science does not hold up to surface level scrutiny. The narrative needs to make sense, the science does not.
    And you don't need that scene for it to make sense, either. The DNA needed to be repaired. They needed to repair from something (it's not enough to know WHAT the sequence is, but you need the physical material to go with it. And you're assuming they even HAD Logan's complete genetic sequence on file to compare to). It takes literally nothing for someone to put 2+2 together and decide Sarah used herself. That's exactly why it's been fanon for so long in the FIRST place.

IIRC, there's not even anywhere in Innocence Lost OR Target X that explicitly say that Laura's genetics are 100% Logan. We only know that Rice and Sutter WANTED it that way and were blocking any effort by Sarah to propose alternatives to make it actually WORK (which is why she basically had to force their hand with the viable female embryo in the FIRST place).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 04-06-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    And you don't need that scene for it to make sense, either. The DNA needed to be repaired. They needed to repair from something (it's not enough to know WHAT the sequence is, but you need the physical material to go with it. And you're assuming they even HAD Logan's complete genetic sequence on file to compare to). It takes literally nothing for someone to put 2+2 together and decide Sarah used herself. That's exactly why it's been fanon for so long in the FIRST place.

IIRC, there's not even anywhere in Innocence Lost OR Target X that explicitly say that Laura's genetics are 100% Logan. We only know that Rice and Sutter WANTED it that way and were blocking any effort by Sarah to propose alternatives to make it actually WORK (which is why she basically had to force their hand with the viable female embryo in the FIRST place).
    They had a genome, they were mapping to said genome, this was stated.

Yes, you need materials, but wherever they came from, they would have been broken down to their base components, and once they get to that point, it doesn't matter where they came from. You're not understanding the rebuilt on it's most basic level thing; I'm not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure base elements are the same irregardless of where they came from.

The whole purpose of doubling her X chromosome and making her female in the first place (Do note, a clear preference for male was expressed.) was to keep her a genetic duplicate, any genetic alteration defeats the point of this. So even if they didn't, after the fact, turn to the audience and explicitly say "Why yes, the thing we explicitly said we were doing, for these explicitly stated reasons, we did, and it turned out exactly as it said it was going to." it is reasonable to assume that it did, as it is typically considered unnecessary to repeat such a thing, as it is expected that the audience will understand that the thing they said was happening, happened.

Anything that would go against the thrust of the established narrative, demands explanation.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 04-06-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Context is king.

Can we let the "Adamatinum Agenda" thing go? It's just rehashing the same opinions over and over again.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's been long established that the Adamantium Agenda "retcon" was just stating that she was just a modified clone with DNA from her mom as well, not a modified clone with DNA only from her father. Can we please stop dredging this up?
    Its why I stopped reading ANW and I only brought it up bc I plan on going back to that series now that enough time has passed and I have alot of free time A) bc of quarantine and B) bc Laura is in limbo for the foreseeable future. You dont like it? Dont join in any discussion on it

Why would they? Darwin's powers allow him to not need to eat food and Everett can synch up to him. All three have very adaptive powers which allow them to survive under abnormal conditions which is why I suspect this combination was chosen for the mission
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-07-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its why I stopped reading ANW and I only brought it up bc I plan on going back to that series now that enough time has passed and I have alot of free time A) bc of quarantine and B) bc Laura is in limbo for the foreseeable future. You dont like it? Dont join in any discussion on it
    It eats up space when it does come up and it's just the same notes over and over again.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Found this on Deviant Art. Thought I'd share it. I miss Laura wearing her Wolverine costume. It looked good on her.

X23v580.jpg
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Found this on Deviant Art. Thought I'd share it. I miss Laura wearing her Wolverine costume. It looked good on her.

X23v580.jpg
    I preferred the black and gray over the blue and gold. The colors suited her better (no pun intended).

Desperately trying to find X-23 Complete Collection volume 1 in trade paperback. Seems it's out of stock everywhere.
    @planetxmen on Instagram did a feature on the Collision crossover with Daken and I'd love to read it and Liu's whole run.

Extraordinary Member

When are they going to go back to that plot?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    When are they going to go back to that plot?
    If hank pym in his avengers run is any indication, 2.5 years and it will have Laura become a evil robot in a one shot graphic novel because literally no one cared anymore because of the wait and leave it at that and never revisit her