Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

It sounds like X-Men #5 is not worth buying just for X-23's part in it. Is that an accurate statement?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    It sounds like X-Men #5 is not worth buying just for X-23's part in it. Is that an accurate statement?
    She's there. She's ostensibly got something important to do. We just don't get to see it in this issue. And whatever it is will probably end with her dying and being rebooted by the resurrection protocols so none of that will matter, anyway (20 bucks says that Marvel uses it as an opportunity to age her back down, too, so she can't mess up the X-office's narrative about the NXM not being allowed to grow up).

spoilers:
    lmao the delusion. What happened in the issue is the exact opposite of what you're talking about, Laura just aged about 500 years and will come out of this changed. that's the whole point of hat they're setting up with them. Editors don't even consider Laura a member of the NXM, thinking that their woes are her woes make no sense. That hasn't stopped her from taking on the role of an older sister to Gabby or the 'Wolverine' mantle. Even on the incredibly off chance that she dies, her backup is still up to her still being the All-New Wolverine
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

I wonder who's taking care of gabby, I think she would break Logan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    spoilers:
    lmao the delusion. What happened in the issue is the exact opposite of what you're talking about, Laura just aged about 500 years and will come out of this changed. that's the whole point of hat they're setting up with them. Editors don't even consider Laura a member of the NXM, thinking that their woes are her woes make no sense. That hasn't stopped her from taking on the role of an older sister to Gabby or the 'Wolverine' mantle. Even on the incredibly off chance that she dies, her backup is still up to her still being the All-New Wolverine
    end of spoilers
    JDW has outright stated he would have nixed the "20 years old" bit had he been in charge at the time the issue was written. Do you REALLY think he's not going to take the opportunity to undo something he's outright stated he disagreed with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    JDW has outright stated he would have nixed the "20 years old" bit had he been in charge at the time the issue was written. Do you REALLY think he's not going to take the opportunity to undo something he's outright stated he disagreed with?
    No, he’s just going to make a point to not explicitly show her age anymore. He’s not going to insert him opinion into Hickman’s story just to get rid of the fact that she’s 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I wonder who's taking care of gabby, I think she would break Logan.
    That's a good question, someone must be taking care of her and Jonathan, her pet wolverine, when Laura isn't around.

If Laura's on Krakoa and Gabby's not, then maybe she went to the Champions? She was listed on their reinforcement roster last year but Age of X-Man plus Champions getting cancelled stopped her ever showing up. And Champions is now solicited for a return. She wouldn't be the only mutant there, Dust - a former roommate of Laura in New X-Men - is on the active team. Laura is on an Outlawed variant cover - could they have drawn the wrong Kinney?

Another possibility, if she is on Krakoa, would be Archangel, since his younger self was Laura's boyfriend.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

These sort of 'time goes faster inside' things are usually used as cheap ways to age up characters. And I agree it feels like they brought Laura in because she's more expendable than Logan. She deserves so much better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's a good question, someone must be taking care of her and Jonathan, her pet wolverine, when Laura isn't around.

If Laura's on Krakoa and Gabby's not, then maybe she went to the Champions? She was listed on their reinforcement roster last year but Age of X-Man plus Champions getting cancelled stopped her ever showing up. And Champions is now solicited for a return. She wouldn't be the only mutant there, Dust - a former roommate of Laura in New X-Men - is on the active team. Laura is on an Outlawed variant cover - could they have drawn the wrong Kinney?

Another possibility, if she is on Krakoa, would be Archangel, since his younger self was Laura's boyfriend.
    No, pls. archangel and Laura is creepy and they should forget that.

I think that the kids look after theirselves

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    These sort of 'time goes faster inside' things are usually used as cheap ways to age up characters. And I agree it feels like they brought Laura in because she's more expendable than Logan. She deserves so much better than this.
    Yeah it gave this impression.a
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-29-2020 at 01:28 PM.

I don’t get the negativity tbh, this issue was great. Laura is called Wolverine again and we got a Laura/Logan interaction finally with Logan being supportive of her and the Wolverine title. We’ve been waiting for something like this for a long time.

It didn’t feel like to me that Laura is more expandable than Logan. This is going to be an important storyline that might get its own book, and I’m glad it’s not Logan being used here, he is on X-Force already with lots of guest appearances in other books. The writer chose Laura to have this significant role in this special mission instead of the convenient solution of just throwing Logan in another storyline again. Laura finally has something important to do that is also tied to Krakoa; it’s much better than being in a mini book (that isn't acknowledged anywhere) as a supporting character while being written totally ooc. I think it was a big step up from there.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Man, I don’t know if this little bit of Laura we saw is enough to undo the grossness of her depiction in FA; but it was awesome to see. It’s almost as if Hickman has that exchange with Logan specifically for those of us disappointed by FA. Seeing her matter to the main story, and seeing her in the Wolverine garb was therapeutic, after FA’s nonsense.

10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    I don’t get the negativity tbh, this issue was great. Laura is called Wolverine again and we got a Laura/Logan interaction finally with Logan being supportive of her and the Wolverine title. We’ve been waiting for something like this for a long time.

It didn’t feel like to me that Laura is more expandable than Logan. This is going to be an important storyline that might get its own book, and I’m glad it’s not Logan being used here, he is on X-Force already with lots of guest appearances in other books. The writer chose Laura to have this significant role in this special mission instead of the convenient solution of just throwing Logan in another storyline again. Laura finally has something important to do that is also tied to Krakoa; it’s much better than being in a mini book (that isn't acknowledged anywhere) as a supporting character while being written totally ooc. I think it was a big step up from there.
    I don't think Laura was meant to be seen as more expendable, but she was addressing the obvious question in the room. Just because she's willing to risk life and limb doesn't mean she's going to do so unthinkingly. There was also more than a touch of meta to it on top of that - in comics, "legacy character" too often equals "less valuable spare", so why they weren't sending Wolverine Senior needed to be stated. Someone in the main thread commented that they read it as a joke, but the artist illustrated it too seriously, and I suppose that's a possibility as well, though I kind of hope it's not the case - that'd be two for two with artists missing the humor in the scripts, or at least serving it poorly.

I'm hoping this isn't an excuse to write her out of the upcoming Wolverine series entirely. She's absent from every other announced book, and I honestly don't know if I want yet another X book being announced at this point. Some of these plots being introduced in the main title should really just be handled there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I guess you missed how butt-hurt certain people got over Logan talking up Laura's abilities in the Generations one-shot. Logan himself pronouncing Laura Wolverine is sure to ruffle the same feathers.
    Forgot about that (although it seems like They Who Must Not Be Named were the ones crying foul, and we know they're far from being the majority).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I don't think Laura was meant to be seen as more expendable, but she was addressing the obvious question in the room. Just because she's willing to risk life and limb doesn't mean she's going to do so unthinkingly. There was also more than a touch of meta to it on top of that - in comics, "legacy character" too often equals "less valuable spare", so why they weren't sending Wolverine Senior needed to be stated. Someone in the main thread commented that they read it as a joke, but the artist illustrated it too seriously, and I suppose that's a possibility as well, though I kind of hope it's not the case - that'd be two for two with artists missing the humor in the scripts, or at least serving it poorly.
    Totally agree. I love the Children of the Vault and clearly so does Hickman, so I am so stoked to see Laura, Synch (Gen X represent!) and Darwin (a great character to show off how perilous things are!) go up against the CotV and their City. The fact that Laura's skills and unencumbered healing factor were required is very intriguing - this feels like a properly dangerous "Wolverine" mission against what was explicitly called the greatest threat to mutants.