Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

hmmm.... the past 10 years....

definitely doomsday clock, which is the most recent.

the green lantern by grant morrison and liam sharp
    green lantern earth one
    injustice
    green arrow by jeff lemire and andrea sorrentino

It was such a miserable decade for just about all of my favorite characters, so I don't have much.

Aquaman by Johns
    Shazam by Johns
    Hal Jordan & The GL Corps by Venditti
    Hawkman by Venditti

The Ray Palmer in the Microverse story by Steve Orlando in JLA Rebirth.

That's all I got and coming up with that much was tough.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Thanks all. Always trying to "build a library" and it's interesting to see what stories remain favorites over time. I meant to ask for everyone's 10 faves but oh well...
    I'm not even sure that I've read 10 different runs - but I still have a long list of titles from the last decade that I'd like to read one day (and only very few titles from older decades since there isn't much that appeals to me).

The Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth run is definitely my favorite title. But I also enjoyed the Red Lantern Corps New52 run very much.
    I was a fan of the New Age of Heroes initiative. I haven't read every title yet, but so far Silencer and Immortal Men are my personal favorites.
    I've only started reading the current Justice League run, Justice League Dark by Tynion and Justice League Odyssey - but what I've seen so far looks very promising.

Azz/Chiang WW
    Tomasi Gleason Supes
    RHATO until Artemis and Biz left
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Pretty weak decade.

Iiked nu52 Dial H even if it ended up being rushed but therecwas nothing i read that i'd read through again
    No it's not. It is not because the mains titles (Batman, Superman, Justice League, ...) didn't have there best runs that was bad.
    Some tiles/stories were the best ever:

- Batman Inc. by Grant Morrison + Batman & Robin by Peter J. Tomasi + Robin son of Batman by Peter J. Tomasi
    - Batman: the dark knight and Detective Comics by Gregg Hurwitz
    - Aquaman by Geoff Johns + Aquaman by Dan Abnett (New52 + Rebirth)
    - Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello
    - The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman by Liam Sharp
    - Swamp Thing by Charles Soule
    - Shazam! by Geoff Johns
    - Mr. Miracle by Tom King
    - New Super-Man by various
    - Supersons by Peter J. Tomasi
    - The Flash by Joshua Williamson
    - Green Arrow by Jeff Lemir + Green Arrow by Benjamin Percy
    - Deathstroke by Christopher Priest
    - Animal Man by Jeff Lemir
    - Red Hood and the Outlaws by Scott Lobdell + Red Hood: Outlaw by Scott Lobdell
    - Li'l Gotham by Dustin Nguyen
    - The Terrifics by Jeff Lemir
    - Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps by Robert Venditty

How with all that and many others I missed or haven't read, you can say that this decade has been bad ?????
    Last edited by jb681131; 01-04-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    No it's not. It is not because the mains titles (Batman, Superman, Justice League, ...) didn't have there best runs that was bad.
    Some tiles/stories were the best ever:

- Batman Inc. by Grant Morrison + Batman & Robin by Peter J. Tomasi + Robin son of Batman by Peter J. Tomasi
    - Batman: the dark knight and Detective Comics by Gregg Hurwitz
    - Aquaman by Geoff Johns + Aquaman by Dan Abnett (New52 + Rebirth)
    - Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello
    - The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman by Liam Sharp
    - Swamp Thing by Charles Soule
    - Shazam! by Geoff Johns
    - Mr. Miracle by Tom King
    - New Super-Man by various
    - Supersons by Peter J. Tomasi
    - The Flash by Joshua Williamson
    - Green Arrow by Jeff Lemir + Green Arrow by Benjamin Percy
    - Deathstroke by Christopher Priest
    - Animal Man by Jeff Lemir
    - Red Hood and the Outlaws by Scott Lobdell + Red Hood: Outlaw by Scott Lobdell
    - Li'l Gotham by Dustin Nguyen
    - The Terrifics by Jeff Lemir
    - Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps by Robert Venditty

How with all that and many others I missed or haven't read, you can say that this decade has been bad ?????
    To me most things i read were workmanlike but no more. When i lost my comics recently there is nothing in the last 10 years I am thinking... oh yeah i need to replace that.

Moore swampthing better than soule swampthing
    Morrison animalman better than lemire animalman
    Morrison doom patrol better than way doom patrol
    Milligan shade better than castalucci shade

If other people have really rated things from last decade, thats cool for them but for me Dc at its finest wasnt in this period. For me this decade is marked by conservative story telling and the slow drift towards a house art style to the detriment of experimentation. Solid but disposable
    Last edited by iron chimp; 01-04-2020 at 02:17 PM.

To me most things i read were workmanlike but no more. When i lost my comics recently there is nothing in the last 10 years I am thinking... oh yeah i need to replace that.

Moore swampthing better than soule swampthing
    Morrison animalman better than lemire animalman
    Morrison doom patrol better than way doom patrol
    Milligan shade better than castalucci shade

If other people have really rated things from last decade, thats cool for them but for me Dc at its finest wasnt in this period. For me this decade is marked by conservative story telling and the slow drift towards a house art style to the detriment of experimentation. Solid but disposable
    Indeed you can find better runs from many titles I named, but all the runs you can name are from different decades.

All in a decade isn't good. Here in this decade, all might not be the best ever, but there are a lots of worthy titles and series.
    In all, you cannot say this past decade was worst than any other.
    Because from the older decades (like the 80's of Moore's great stories), you cannot name more than 10 worthy stories/titles/runs.

The thing is you think that all the previous decades make only one.
    But let me remind you that DC begins in the 40's, which makes 7 decades of comics.
    I defy you to find more than 20 really worthy series/titles for each decades. Do so and you'll see that this decade isn't that bad.

Also before criticising, did you at least read all the titles I named ?

There is also anotherthing to note, is that this decade had, like I sayd, 7 decades of comics to compet against.
    It gets harder and harder to inovate on 50+ year long series and heroes.

To responds do you comment on the lack of "experimentation" in the art.
    You are again blinding yourself and only remembering the few past series you know of, because hundreds of them also have pour and sloppy art.
    As for "experimentation", I don't really know what you are reffencing. Bernie Wrighton's Swamp Thing or Dave McKean's Arkham Asylum maybe ?
    Well let me tell you that there has been some great art these past years, but maybe you haven't read them:

- Batman: Damned by Lee Bermejo - 2019
    - Wonder Woman: Earth One by Yanick Paquet - 2019
    - Doom Patrol by Nick Derrington - 2019
    - Mister Miracle by Mitch Gerads - 2018
    - Astro City by Kurt Busiek - 2017
    - Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson - 2017
    - Art Ops by Mike Allred and Matt Brundage - 2016
    - Multiversity by Frank Quitely - 2015
    - The Sandman: Overture by J. H. Williams III - 2015
    - The Wake by Sean Murphy - 2014
    - The Unwritten by Yoko Shimuzu - 2013
    - iZombie by Michael Allred - 2012
    - Li'l Gotham by Dustin Nguyen - 2012
    - Vietnam 1965 by Joe Kubert - 2011
    - Madame Xanadu by Michael Kaluta - 2010
    - Detective Comics by J. H. Williams III - 2010

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Indeed you can find better runs from many titles I named, but all the runs you can name are from different decades.

All in a decade isn't good. Here in this decade, all might not be the best ever, but there are a lots of worthy titles and series.
    In all, you cannot say this past decade was worst than any other.
    Because from the older decades (like the 80's of Moore's great stories), you cannot name more than 10 worthy stories/titles/runs.

The thing is you think that all the previous decades make only one.
    But let me remind you that DC begins in the 40's, which makes 7 decades of comics.
    I defy you to find more than 20 really worthy series/titles for each decades. Do so and you'll see that this decade isn't that bad.

Also before criticising, did you at least read all the titles I named ?

There is also anotherthing to note, is that this decade had, like I sayd, 7 decades of comics to compet against.
    It gets harder and harder to inovate on 50+ year long series and heroes.

To responds do you comment on the lack of "experimentation" in the art.
    You are again blinding yourself and only remembering the few past series you know of, because hundreds of them also have pour and sloppy art.
    As for "experimentation", I don't really know what you are reffencing. Bernie Wrighton's Swamp Thing or Dave McKean's Arkham Asylum maybe ?
    Well let me tell you that there has been some great art these past years, but maybe you haven't read them:

- Batman: Damned by Lee Bermejo - 2019
    - Wonder Woman: Earth One by Yanick Paquet - 2019
    - Doom Patrol by Nick Derrington - 2019
    - Mister Miracle by Mitch Gerads - 2018
    - Astro City by Kurt Busiek - 2017
    - Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson - 2017
    - Art Ops by Mike Allred and Matt Brundage - 2016
    - Multiversity by Frank Quitely - 2015
    - The Sandman: Overture by J. H. Williams III - 2015
    - The Wake by Sean Murphy - 2014
    - The Unwritten by Yoko Shimuzu - 2013
    - iZombie by Michael Allred - 2012
    - Li'l Gotham by Dustin Nguyen - 2012
    - Vietnam 1965 by Joe Kubert - 2011
    - Madame Xanadu by Michael Kaluta - 2010
    - Detective Comics by J. H. Williams III - 2010
    I didnt mean to imply it was the worst - just that i didnt find it a vintage decade. For sure i enjoyed some books but there was nothing in the last decade Id re-read that i have bought

I def havent read all the books you.listed - i only enjoy things like batman in small doses before it starts doing my head in but i have a list of things to check out that people on here have said are good that interest me (i vampire, demon knights, etc)

For the art the art across the board today in everything i read is totally rock solid - its very rare to see sloppy pages like you used to in previous decades (im sure technology helps here with three d modelling etc) but most of it i find very similar. Obviously DC published about 7000 books this decade so there were some interesting stuff - J H Williams crazy page layouts, tom sciolis derranged back ups, michael von oemings trippy 60s throw back pages but i feel a lot of experimentation and cartooning of the decade prior (dave mckean, ted mckeever, george pratt, shake kane, jamie Hewlett etc etc) has been lost to create a recognisable house style. Buy a DC book and it will look.like this. Young animal had lots of different art styles across the books and id prefer to see the rest of DCs very good rosta of artists let off the leash like they were. Its comics - im paying for some crazy visuals so hit me with them.

My all time favourite was probably New Super-Man

I didnt mean to imply it was the worst - just that i didnt find it a vintage decade. For sure i enjoyed some books but there was nothing in the last decade Id re-read that i have bought

I def havent read all the books you.listed - i only enjoy things like batman in small doses before it starts doing my head in but i have a list of things to check out that people on here have said are good that interest me (i vampire, demon knights, etc)

For the art the art across the board today in everything i read is totally rock solid - its very rare to see sloppy pages like you used to in previous decades (im sure technology helps here with three d modelling etc) but most of it i find very similar. Obviously DC published about 7000 books this decade so there were some interesting stuff - J H Williams crazy page layouts, tom sciolis derranged back ups, michael von oemings trippy 60s throw back pages but i feel a lot of experimentation and cartooning of the decade prior (dave mckean, ted mckeever, george pratt, shake kane, jamie Hewlett etc etc) has been lost to create a recognisable house style. Buy a DC book and it will look.like this. Young animal had lots of different art styles across the books and id prefer to see the rest of DCs very good rosta of artists let off the leash like they were. Its comics - im paying for some crazy visuals so hit me with them.
    I agree that the quality of the Batman books has downgraded.
    I will also agree that all titles that are monthlies ongoing have always looked "rock solid" to me.
    For good art comics by DC you could pick up the Tales of the Batman omnibus:

• Tales of the Batman: Alan Bernnert
    • Tales of the Batman: Archie Goodwing
    • Tales of the Batman: Carmine Infantino
    • Tales of the Batman: Don Newton
    • Tales of the Batman: Gen Colman 1-2
    • Tales of the Batman: Len Wein
    • Tales of the Batman: Tim Sale
    • Tales of the Batman: Gerry Conway 1-2
    • Tales of the Batman: J. H. Williams III

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Not the finest decade, anyway:

Grayson - King, Seeley