Page 42 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    For those who are hoping that Barbara Gordon has not been returned to her confinement following the events of Batgirl #47, there is perhaps an encouraging image in CBR’s exclusive preview to Batgirl #48 (I say ‘perhaps’ because the image seems unrelated to the other preview pages, and could maybe be a memory, dream, or just DC feeling that there should probably be a picture of Batgirl being Batgirl in a Batgirl book).

Attachment 99287
    After seeing the preview pages I'm still extremely worried that Babs will be back in the wheelchair and unable to walk and unable to be Batgirl.
    That image is promising but like you said, is it a dream or something else?
    What gives me some hope is in the description for the issue it says "After an encounter with the Joker leaves Barbara temporarily handicapped, Babs is determined to find the technology she needs, but her journey’s cut short when a redhead-serial killer is on the loose! Who is this obsessive freak?"
    The words TEMPORARILY HANDICAPPED give me some hope but Im not holding my breath as DC always seems to screw up recently.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    That was part of it's charm for me, it had DIY vibe to it which I have huge soft spot for.
    Yeah, I love that DIY look too. It also fits the character really well. It's real pop.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-01-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there should be a better balance of tone with the book. New 52 and Burnside are too very different extremes the title has been shifting towards.
    I think the REBIRTH book balanced both tones really well. I'd just prefer Burnside to return as the main setting of the book. Gives Babs a strong sense of place rather than just "apartment in city".
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-01-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah, I love that DIY look too. It also fits the character really well. It's real pop.
    It depends how we're defining her character. I don't really see an adult Barbara Gordon running around in a jacket and pants indefinitely as a vigilante or wearing bright purple colors to fight crime. Even when the costume and her attitude first popped up Black Canary thought she was acting out-of-character.
    I think the REBIRTH book balanced both tones really well. I'd just prefer Burnside to return as the main setting of the book. Gives Babs a strong sense of place rather than just "apartment in city".
    I disagree that Rebirth balanced both tones well at all unless we count the Scott and Castelluci runs as part of Rebirth. Larson was basically continuing off of the original Burnside run in terms of tone so things were pretty light, fluffy, and goofy up until Summer of Lies, which was probably her best arc on the book.

It depends how we're defining her character. I don't really see an adult Barbara Gordon running around in a jacket and pants indefinitely as a vigilante or wearing bright purple colors to fight crime. Even when the costume and her attitude first popped up Black Canary thought she was acting out-of-character.
    What exactly are you defining her character off of? I see no reason why Babs can't be someone who values a fine aesthetic and has a lower budget to work with. Those seem like defining attributes of her character to me, right next to her whip smart detective skills. She's always been at least a lil glam, sometimes REALLY glam. Injecting in that riot grrrl DIY to her seems hella organic.

I disagree that Rebirth balanced both tones well at all unless we count the Scott and Castelluci runs as part of Rebirth. Larson was basically continuing off of the original Burnside run in terms of tone so things were pretty light, fluffy, and goofy up until Summer of Lies, which was probably her best arc on the book.
    I am talking about the Scott and Castellucci runs. Larson's run was also dope though. I think Rebirth has been solid-great, throughout. I'm sad the book has ended, I'm sure Castellucci would have turned in a beautiful run.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-01-2020 at 12:38 PM.

What exactly are you defining her character off of? I see no reason why Babs can't be someone who values a fine aesthetic and has a lower budget to work with. Those seem like defining attributes of her character to me, right next to her whip smart detective skills. She's always been at least a lil glam, sometimes REALLY glam. Injecting in that riot grrrl DIY to her seems hella organic.
    I'm coming at it from an adult Barbara Gordon who strikes me as being more of a professional, seasoned, and experienced vigilante with a more mooted style and more of an adult edge, which is why the Burnside costume felt out-of-place to me.
    I am talking about the Scott and Castellucci runs. Larson's run was also dope though. I think Rebirth has been solid-great, throughout. I'm sad the book has ended, I'm sure Castellucci would have turned in a beautiful run.
    I don't count those two since they came in around when DC was phasing out the Rebirth branding.

Larson's run just felt a little out-of-sorts as a DCU title. Kind of aimless and lacking much in the way of stakes, and continuing the trend of Babs going from one failed boyfriend to the next practically every month. It felt like she was writing more of an all-ages Batgirl Adventures book than a mainline Batgirl book.

I felt the same for Scott that you do for Castellucci.

I don't count those since they came in around when DC was phasing out the Rebirth branding.

Larson's run just felt a little out-of-sorts as a DCU title. Kind of aimless and lacking much in the way of stakes, and continuing the trend of Babs going from one failed boyfriend to the next practically every month. It felt like she was writing more of an all-ages Batgirl Adventures book than a mainline Batgirl book.

I felt the same for Scott that you do for Castellucci.
    An all ages book is exactly what the title should be aiming for. It's BATGIRL, there's a wide audience out there that could be potential readers/viewers. Some of the most creative comics on the market are admittedly "all ages". As for the boyfriends, lots of characters have relationship drama- why can't Babs? Especially when she's building a supporting cast, as a young adult.

I liked Scott's run too, for sure. It's a shame we can't be discussing both writers' lengthy runs on the title!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-02-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Barbara Gordon is Toku bat-girl

batrangers by Dan mora

An all ages book is exactly what the title should be aiming for. It's BATGIRL, there's a wide audience out there that could be potential readers/viewers. Some of the most creative comics on the market are admittedly "all ages". As for the boyfriends, lots of characters have relationship drama- why can't Babs? Especially when she's building a supporting cast, as a young adult.

I liked Scott's run too, for sure. It's a shame we can't be discussing both writers' lengthy runs on the title!
    I love all ages books, but I'm not sure it works in terms of a mainline DC book that will inevitably have to tie-in to what's going on in the wider DC Universe she's a part of.

I'm not saying she can't have relationship drama, but I'd rather something more serious and meaningful then a slew of different boys for Babs to make out with and inevitably break up with by the time an arc is over. Or just keep her single for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

batrangers by Dan mora

I like how, in-spite of her hair not coming out, there's some red in the suit to hearken towards it. I actually prefer it to some of her modern costume in some respects...

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

batrangers by Dan mora

very nice
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

@4:30 A proposed idea for Barbara being one of the four brainwashed heroines in Final Crisis. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

@4:30 A proposed idea for Barbara being one of the four brainwashed heroines in Final Crisis. Thoughts?
    I'm not sure I see Oracle as a Fury unless she's riding some kind of crazy, mechanical, beast thing.

Oracle as a Fury could be cool.

Ugh.

To me such a take would be anathema for the way Oracle is constructed as a character. It's taking away what kept Babs going after losing the use of her legs—her will and her mind. And then the proposal has Babs have to choose between her body and her mind (and it's framing that in ableistic language, even if I admit that it's very hard to avoid).

No thanks.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Oracle as a Fury could be cool.
    The concept certainly has potential. Right now I'm toying with an evil "gray" Kryptonite created double of Babs joining with an evil double of Kara to lead the Furies in my "Convergence Point" DC/Marvel crossover story. I haven't decided if I'll go in that direction yet, but I feel the idea of Furies' member Babs (in whatever incarnation) would prove interesting.

If so inclined, check my story out -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1319924...vergence-Point
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."