Page 7 of 88 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Latest issue was rather weird, lol.
    It makes more sense if you've read the last Titans run, as the story is a sequel to it's last arc.

Advert that was in all of this week's DC comics:
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Karen Gillan wants to star in and direct the Batgirl movie:
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...batgirl-for-dc
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She is tooo old and commissioner Gordon is black soo

She really isn't too old - Babs was in her 30s before Flashpoint. New 52 retconned it so she became Batgirl at a younger age.

And in pre-Flashpoint, Jim wasn't her Dad, he was her Uncle. If they go with the latter relationship there's no reason Babs needs to be black, they can keep her looks comic accurate.

She really isn't too old - Babs was in her 30s before Flashpoint. New 52 retconned it so she became Batgirl at a younger age.

And in pre-Flashpoint, Jim wasn't her Dad, he was her Uncle. If they go with the latter relationship there's no reason Babs needs to be black, they can keep her looks comic accurate.
    She was adopted too so yeh I think she would be awesome as Batgirl!

Extraordinary Member

They ain’t gonna miss their chance to have a black batgirl smmh

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

God yes that would be PERFECT.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The new issue of BATGIRL was really fun. Castellucci continues to blaze a new trail here and it totally works. Love Batgirl vs Male Fantasy Writers.

It makes more sense if you've read the last Titans run, as the story is a sequel to it's last arc.

Advert that was in all of this week's DC comics:
    I'll be buying this one for sure. I love Oracle as she showed if you have a disability you aren't useless in superhero comic books. Although it is nice to have the original Batgirl back in action, a part of me will always be sad they "fixed" Babs.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-26-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'll be buying this one for sure. I love Oracle as she showed if you have a disability you aren't useless in superhero comic books. Although it is nice to have the original Batgirl back in action, a part of me will always be sad they "fixed" Babs.
    Agreed.

While there are elements of "lose-lose situation" to the whole thing, I always prefer her as Oracle because - supporting player or not - at the end of day as Batgirl, she was (and is again) a second-string street-level hero that has been done with more unique hooks since (Orphan and Spoiler at minimum) - whereas as Oracle, her reach and influence was global.

I think giving Babs back the use of her legs was a defensible choice to make. It's not necessarily the "right" choice, but it would work from a narrative standpoint. I do think that the wheelchair served an important narrative role, in showing Babs's past so that TKJ could be kept away from the rest of the plot and narrative. In effect, firewalling off TKJ; which was something that Mairghread Scott understood. But the same goal can be accomplished without it, by the right writers and editors.

The mistake that DC did was try to keep Babs's old history, while still putting her back in the Batgirl suit. It regressed her character, and caused her post-New 52 characterisation to veer all over the place. Much better would have been to craft out a new and separate identity, as was done with Dick Grayson as Nightwing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    She is tooo old and commissioner Gordon is black soo
    She could easily pass for someone in their early 20's. Or they could go the Oracle route.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think giving Babs back the use of her legs was a defensible choice to make. It's not necessarily the "right" choice, but it would work from a narrative standpoint. I do think that the wheelchair served an important narrative role, in showing Babs's past so that TKJ could be kept away from the rest of the plot and narrative. In effect, firewalling off TKJ; which was something that Mairghread Scott understood. But the same goal can be accomplished without it, by the right writers and editors.

The mistake that DC did was try to keep Babs's old history, while still putting her back in the Batgirl suit. It regressed her character, and caused her post-New 52 characterisation to veer all over the place. Much better would have been to craft out a new and separate identity, as was done with Dick Grayson as Nightwing.
    It's defensible in the same way that making Dick Nightwing again after being Batman is defensible. What's really indefensible, as you point out so well, is deleting all her history - especially her relationships with Dinah, Helena, and above all, Steph and Cass.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

They flat out deleted Helena, Steph, and Cass.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    It's defensible in the same way that making Dick Nightwing again after being Batman is defensible. What's really indefensible, as you point out so well, is deleting all her history - especially her relationships with Dinah, Helena, and above all, Steph and Cass.
    This is a fact about superhero comic books that bugs me to no end. While I can understand wanting a character returned to a more "classic" status quo, why or why do they have to (usually) factory reset everything? All the development said character went through goes straight out the window and is never alluded to again. Even Marvel who has a more straightforward continuity than DC is guilty of this (see Venom, Doc Ock, Dr. Doom & Sandman in recent years). It makes being emotionally invested in characters very difficult when anything can be rolled back with zero consequences at the drop of a hat.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-26-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."