Page 63 of 88 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

They could solve the disabled representation thing by bringing back Proxy from the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run - Wendy Harris (based on the character from Superfriends) was a Teen Titan who got crippled when the tower was attacked. She then became Barbara's substitute as Steph's mission control when she was busy with the Birds of Prey. Bring her back, and they basically have a second Oracle who can take over the duties when Babs is out as Batgirl or at her civilian job.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They could solve the disabled representation thing by bringing back Proxy from the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run - Wendy Harris (based on the character from Superfriends) was a Teen Titan who got crippled when the tower was attacked. She then became Barbara's substitute as Steph's mission control when she was busy with the Birds of Prey. Bring her back, and they basically have a second Oracle who can take over the duties when Babs is out as Batgirl or at her civilian job.
    I think Frankie Charles from the Burnside run may be in a better position to do that.

While I love Wendy (Proxy), the circumstances that led to her crippling and brother dying are no longer in canon post-Flashpoint.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I think Frankie Charles from the Burnside run may be in a better position to do that.

While I love Wendy (Proxy), the circumstances that led to her crippling and brother dying are no longer in canon post-Flashpoint.
    Then just make her it so she was in an accident, her brother died and she became paralyzed
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

She hasn't even APPEARED post-Flashpoint has she?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

She hasn't even APPEARED post-Flashpoint has she?
    Yes but she's a little girl (Batgirl and the BOP)

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They will continue to have a disability representation problem as long as they keep treating Barbara walking again and returning to Batgirl as her overcoming and triumphing over Joker crippling her instead of Oracle.

It's not simply walking again that is ableist, but their view, that is reflected in their published works as recent as Three Jokers, that walking again and becoming Batgirl as her ability to move on, while Oracle is written as an expression of her anger and frustration (that was New 52's view of Oracle) that can become evil.

You can give Oracle to other disabled characters and it won't mean the same way because those characters haven't been victimized by one of DC's best seller book.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-06-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Just finished reading Batman 100 and it was alright. Babs as Oracle was cool but as usual we hardly saw her. That is why I prefer her as Batgirl being out on the field fighting side by side as Batgirl with her family. I'm worried about what will happen with Batgirl issue 50. I still really hope she still remains as Batgirl after her book ends. As I've said before I like the idea of Babs being Oracle and Batgirl at the same time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    Just finished reading Batman 100 and it was alright. Babs as Oracle was cool but as usual we hardly saw her. That is why I prefer her as Batgirl being out on the field fighting side by side as Batgirl with her family. I'm worried about what will happen with Batgirl issue 50. I still really hope she still remains as Batgirl after her book ends. As I've said before I like the idea of Babs being Oracle and Batgirl at the same time.
    Barbara as Oracle appears in Batman #100 more than almost any other Batfamily character (only Nightwing appears more).

I suspect Barbara as Batgirl will likely just appear fighting in one panel.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-06-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Look at Cass and Steph, hell look at Nightwing. Things with Tyrion has a habit of bringing stuff back just for the sake of bringing it back, but then don’t actually go anywhere or build them back up. Bringing Oracle back just to bring it back won’t be good for Oracle. If they bring Oracle back, bring it back right. It no longer has the same platforms it once had. Things aren’t the same anymore. So they need to build new things to facilitate Oracle as something to actually be excited about. Rather then just have Batman give her a suitcase with a laptop and tell her to be Oracle again for instance. This run so far creates hype that it doesn’t really follow through with.
    I don't think we can expect anything new or exciting from the current BATMAN. It's pretty decidedly fan service, for nostalgia's sake.

There won't be any fresh look at the concept of 'Oracle' (or other characters, really) until another team comes on. I'm kind of thinking Babs is just "the voice in the ear" of other characters now.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-07-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't think we can expect anything new or exciting from BATMAN. It's pretty decidedly fan service, for nostalgia's sake.

There won't be any fresh look at the concept of 'Oracle' (or other characters, really) until another team comes on. I'm kind of thinking Babs is just "the voice in the ear" of other characters now.
    Looks like she'll be keeping the Batfamily organized.

I liked Babs more as the Oracle, to be honest

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I liked Babs more as the Oracle, to be honest
    Her being Oracle frees up Batgirl for other characters. If Babs had stayed Batgirl post TKJ then we would never have had Cass.
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Oracle is better than Batgirl, but Batgirl comes with better stuff. At then end of the day they can call her Banana Lady, if that comes with a solo, new ideas, and better creators, etc, etc. I'd be cool with it. Its not about what they call her, its about what they are actually doing with her and the opportunity available.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-06-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Banana Lady? lol, it's surprising that the Dandy or Beano have never done that, even as a one shot gag - a lady version of Bananaman. Beano did once have a Bananagirl, who was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Yes but she's a little girl (Batgirl and the BOP)

OK. But that series is likely retconned, due to a lot of the pre-Flashpoint continuity being restored, including the history of Huntress.

Though the point is, the disabled representation doesn't have to be Barbara.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-06-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Oracle is better than Batgirl, but Batgirl comes with better stuff. At then end of the day they can call her Banana Lady, if that comes with a solo, new ideas, and better creators, etc, etc. I'd be cool with it. Its not about what they call her, its about what they are actually doing with her and the opportunity available.
    This is true. Barbara is allowed to grow as Oracle, which benefit the character. However, Barbara as Oracle has límited opportunities comics (she couldn't have a solo).

The thing is that I really doubt Barbara could mantain a solo anymore even if she is Batgirl.

Batgirl floppies sell terrible (currently, sales are better due Joker War, but this won't last). Sure, most floppies of DC sell horrible, but that is still a big problem for Barbara.