Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    Yes sorry I did word that wrong, I know wheelchairs are a form of freedom for many disabled people.
    I guess I meant I want to see her in the middle of the action, fighting, jumping off buildings and just kicking butt and taking names later.
    Thats all I meant, I did not mean any disrespect to anyone.
    I'm just a huge fan of Babs as Batgirl and just hate when DC mess her around and don't take her seriously.
    Yeah, phrases of that sort are often so easy to use, and always carry with it its own set of meaning, no matter the intention.

I absolutely can see people wanting to read about Babs as Batgirl, and the sad thing is that if DC wasn't so wedded to continuity, there is absolutely nothing to stop them from telling stories about Babs as Batgirl and as Oracle. They even had a brand for that type of stuff, in "Year: One". Rather, the current status quo is screwing over all of the Batgirls: Babs, Cass, and Steph, because they either have their past erased or—in Babs's case—get mired in it. So DC aren't taking any Batgirl seriously.

I think it's telling that when Marguerite Scott managed to portray an Babs-as-Batgirl who had moved past The Killing Joke, she did so using the wheelchair.

Batgirl (2016-) 027-011.jpg
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Just saw that Gail Simone wrote on Twitter...

I strongly suspect a new book must be coming, she’s really valuable to DC. I;m bummed because @misscecil is a great writer.

This gives me hope that Gail knows something and is hinting that Babs will be back as Batgirl.

UPDATE...
    Gail Simone replied to me saying

I have no idea, no insider knowledge on this whatsoever. I just hope that there is.

So I guess I just lost a little hope again but so glad Gail replied, that was so nice of her.
    Last edited by sorboares; 07-18-2020 at 07:58 AM.

I don't know what DC's planning but they do seem more comfortable with acknowledging Babs as Oracle and Cass as Batgirl then they have been in the past.

I'm not saying they're going to take Babs away from the role they've been pushing her in hard for the past few years but I feel like something is going to change.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I believe the first time Oracle was officially acknowledged in comics was in DC You or Batgirl of Burnside. That was the time where they decided to not be so strict on micromanaging continuity and allow for a looser continuity, starting with Harley Quinn series and Grayson, continues with Burnside. Early in New 52 there was a lot of walk outs because DC was micro managing.
    Around the same time, Stephanie Brown returned. She was previously banned from even stories out of continuity. They recolor her appearances in Smallville comic adaptation and Li'l Gotham.

I don't remember why they decided to be looser with continuity, maybe because they realize they're losing creators, but I don't know what that has to do with Oracle or Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I believe the first time Oracle was officially acknowledged in comics was in DC You or Batgirl of Burnside. That was the time where they decided to not be so strict on micromanaging continuity and allow for a looser continuity, starting with Harley Quinn series and Grayson, continues with Burnside. Early in New 52 there was a lot of walk outs because DC was micro managing.
    Around the same time, Stephanie Brown returned. She was previously banned from even stories out of continuity. They recolor her appearances in Smallville comic adaptation and Li'l Gotham.

I don't remember why they decided to be looser with continuity, maybe because they realize they're losing creators, but I don't know what that has to do with Oracle or Steph.
    Oracle wasn't really acknowledged fully until Rebirth BoP. There were teases to Oracle as something Babs did before she became Batgirl again and Frankie was being developed as an Oracle stand-in but it wasn't really confirmed until Rebirth.

Honestly, a Batgirls series with Gordon, Cain and Brown would be a dream come true!

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Honestly, a Batgirls series with Gordon, Cain and Brown would be a dream come true!
    I'd be totally down for it .

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Can they call themselves Birds of Prey?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Can they call themselves Birds of Prey?
    No... coz Birds fans will be demanding Black Canary and Huntress inclusion at least

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No... coz Birds fans will be demanding Black Canary and Huntress inclusion at least
    And, honestly, Batgirls name would likely be more profitable than Birds of Prey name.

BoP is Harley’s now. For better or worse.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm hoping Cecil Castellucci either gets a new book or is relaunching BATGIRL, because she's really top notch.

I've enjoyed pretty much all of BATGIRL from Rebirth-till now. I'm a big fan of BATMAN '66 and it is long past due to inject some of the dazzle and fun of that Batgirl into a modern take on Barbara Gordon. I thought the book was balancing that well. I don't mind the darker story beats, as long as they're balanced out.

Fantastic Member

One issue I had with the 2016 series... Is that during one arc a villain died, only to inexplicably turn up alive in the very next arc. I'm talking about Shark of the Terrible Trio btw.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I doubt Tynion will have that much control, I figure the current BATMAN run as a placeholder till another big team comes onboard.

I sure hope Babs remains as Batgirl, such a shame that Cecil Castellucci's run on BATGIRL is being forced to cross over with Joker War or whatever and being cut so incredibly short.
    It's not, he has plans well into 2021 according to his last few interviews and newsletters. I do think we'll get something like a batgirls book if Cass is getting the costume again.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 07-19-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It's not, he has plans well into 2021 according to his last few interviews and newsletters. I do think we'll get something like a batgirls book if Cass is getting the costume again.
    Technically, Death Metal wil end in January 2021. Also, it is possible Tynion doesn't know if DC will replace him.

I'm not so sure the variant cover of Joker War Zone is a hint that Cassandra will recovery the Batgirl mantle.