Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    This Barbar is 30 and the current commissioner so closer to Oracle pre flashpoint then current batgirl
    That's actually the Batman Beyond status quo then. She's neither Batgirl nor Oracle. She will have the wheelchair though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That's actually the Batman Beyond status quo then. She's neither Batgirl nor Oracle. She will have the wheelchair though.
    Urgh, Are you saying she cant and wont be Oracle in Titans? I hope for Oracle.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She could still be Oracle, Batman beyond status is when she is 60

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm sort of the opposite. Characters like Superman or Batman can survive characterisation that goes counter to the character. It's a lot harder for other characters, especially for someone like Oracle who DC has attempted to bury for ten years now. And is of a character type that is was extremely rare when Yale and Ostrander crafted her in the early 90s, and still is exceedingly rare.
    They haven’t attempted to bury her, they have buried her. To the point where BoP has been moved away from her. So it’s kind of silly to be holding out for caviar when one is starving to death. Characters like Superman or Batman can survive characterisation that goes counter to the character cause they are fat with various platforms and content. There is always the next thing or something else with them. That’s not the case with Oracle. The character can’t afford to hold out for only perfect characterizations.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-14-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    She could still be Oracle, Batman beyond status is when she is 60
    Her age is irrelevant, it's her job. Wouldn't being Oracle and being the leader of the police be a conflict of interest? And she likely wouldn't have the TIME to do both either.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They haven’t attempted to bury her, they have buried her. To the point where BoP has been moved away from her. So it’s kind of silly to be holding out for caviar when one is starving to death. Characters like Superman or Batman can survive characterisation that goes counter to the character cause they are fat with various platforms and content. There is always the next thing or something else with them. That’s not the case with Oracle. The character can’t afford to hold out for only perfect characterizations.
    I'm not demanding perfection. But I think there are characterisations that go counter to everything that the character is about.

In the case of Oracle, I think one such key is that Babs-as-Oracle is no longer defined by TKJ or trauma. She still carries the scars, but she isn't defined by the trauma, no matter what the people around her think. That's also why I think the computer!Oracle storyline in the recent Batgirl was so out of place. It goes against everything the character stands for, and the narratives can be damaging to an already disadvantaged group.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Her age is irrelevant, it's her job. Wouldn't being Oracle and being the leader of the police be a conflict of interest? And she likely wouldn't have the TIME to do both either.
    Nah it just means caged a hero and a cop like Rene or Dick

Dick was forced to resign from the police when his partner found out he was Nightwing, didn't he?

Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Probably a pretty underscored relationship compared to the Robins.

(But Babs in a tank top).

I wouldn’t say that. It’s probably equivalent to Tim’s relationship with Alfred, and Jason died so it’s not like Al and he spent that much time together. Robins get bastardized together as if everything is the same with them, but it really shouldn’t be. Babs has been around longer then any of them save for Dick.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-16-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I wouldn’t say that. It’s probably equivalent to Tim’s relationship with Alfred, and Jason died so it’s not like Al and he spent that much time together. Robins get bastardized together as if everything is the same with them, but it really shouldn’t be. Babs has been around longer then any of them save for Dick.
    I can remember more scenes of Tim and Alfred in the Batcave then I do of Alfred and Batgirl or Alfred and Oracle.

Not that Alfred wasn't important to Barbara, I'm talking about on-panel screentime.

The thing is, Alfred is like a second father or grandfather figure to the Robins (Bruce of course being the first). But Barbara isn't an orphan like the boys, so her relationship with Batman and Alfred was always more professional than emotional.

See this is what I’m talking about. Tim and Jason weren’t orphans, well not initially, nor is Damian. Tim’s family situation was more comparable to Babs then the other Robin’s, and poor Jason died with his mom.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-16-2020 at 11:57 PM.