Page 64 of 88 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Batgirl’s floppies are in the same shape as the rest of the satellite titles. This is a problem for DC in general.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Batgirl’s floppies are in the same shape as the rest of the satellite titles. This is a problem for DC in general.
    I know. I said that.

In my opinion, that's still a problem for Barbara, especially since DC will reduce the amount of books.

To be clear, I don't think Barbara will go to the limbo, since she is too popular. However, I'm not so sure that there are plans for Barbara's solo (as Batgirl or not).

This is true. I mean if they can not relay always on Batman and on the characters themselves it would be stronger. They can still have them be in the Batfam

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Though the point is, the disabled representation doesn't have to be Barbara.
    While a true statement in and of itself, Babs as Oracle left some mighty big shoes (or should that be wheels?) to fill, and anything that DC will try to accomplish in this area will be measured to her.

Babs as Oracle was the co-lead in a long-running and ground-breaking title, and often played an important supporting role in other books. I can't see any replacement character being able to fill the same role.

Babs as Oracle carried an implicit critique of the fridging issue, right when fridging was first called attention to in public. A replacement character would mean a denial of fridgings taking place.

Babs as Oracle was a critique of the way recovery was presented in comic books, where you usually just wave a magic wand and return to the status quo ante. Real recovery is often messy, drawn-out, and ends up in a wholly different place than where you started.

Babs becoming Oracle is a hell of a story. And here I'm not only thinking of what got published, but the story of how Oracle's story came to be. Moore asking if he could fridge her, Babs being written off by DC, Ostrander and Yale deciding to bring her back in Suicide Squad.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Babs as Oracle was the co-lead in a long-running and ground-breaking title, and often played an important supporting role in other books. I can't see any replacement character being able to fill the same role.
    Harley Quinn has already filled that role.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I liked Babs more as the Oracle, to be honest
    Likewise. I felt her role was more vital and even her personality evolved.

With all the finesse of a sledgehammer...

That's the issue I'm having. They make Harley Quinn into whatever they want. That she can get out of everything no matter the hero.

To say that Harley Quinn fills (or filled) the same role in the Birds of Prey as Oracle did, or that they fill similar roles in representation within the larger DCU… I'm not sure what to say.

The two characters are very dissimilar and represent very different experiences.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Even in BoP media that uses Harley she just feels like a guest star rather than an actual member of the BoP.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even in BoP media that uses Harley she just feels like a guest star rather than an actual member of the BoP.
    Wrong.

The BoP are the guest stars in the Harley Quinn media that uses them.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-08-2020 at 09:27 AM.

She was the star of the show. They were naming it after her. Also if they do ever make another BoP it's actually a BoP and not someweird version of GCS

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She is the main character.

I been wondering with them still having Steph, Cass and Babs. Why not just have them be a group of Batgirls. If they want to nob all of them being Batgirl at one point why not have them all just be Batgirl at the same time?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I been wondering with them still having Steph, Cass and Babs. Why not just have them be a group of Batgirls. If they want to nob all of them being Batgirl at one point why not have them all just be Batgirl at the same time?
    Stephanie has her own identity as Spoiler...and having one's own separate identity is a big plus for a character.

She could wear a Batgirlish costume...but I thing she should keep her own name.