Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In Batman Begins Bruce kept seeing the bats that scared him in the cave while watching opera with his parents and begged to go home. They went out the back way and were robbed and shot by Joe Chill.

In Zero Year Bruce snuck away to go to Park Row as a way to prove himself that he's not scared after he fell into the cave and watch the Zorro movie. He was found by patrolman Gordon and picked up by his parents. Then they decided to see the movie again that night and were shot on their way home.

168ee9a70bd9d92331e3994da293c7bf._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

What do you think of this "I indirectly caused my parents' death" scenario?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    In Batman Begins Bruce kept seeing the bats that scared him in the cave while watching opera with his parents and begged to go home. They went out the back way and were robbed and shot by Joe Chill.

In Zero Year Bruce snuck away to go to Park Row as a way to prove himself that he's not scared after he fell into the cave and watch the Zorro movie. He was found by patrolman Gordon and picked up by his parents. Then they decided to see the movie again that night and were shot on their way home.

168ee9a70bd9d92331e3994da293c7bf._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

What do you think of this "I indirectly caused my parents' death" scenario?
    I get why people like it, as it leads to nice emotional angst, but I think it's unnecessary. I don't mind it, but it doesn't really do anything for me either.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I get why people like it, as it leads to nice emotional angst, but I think it's unnecessary. I don't mind it, but it doesn't really do anything for me either.
    Yeah, this is pretty much my opinion as well.

Same. We're talking about Bruce here. Even with Alfred saying it's not his fault or the readers know it's not his fault, he's gonna blame himself anyway. He's already blaming himself for not being able to stop a double murder at 8-10 years old.

Moving on, the same night as the Wayne murder, patrolman Gordon stopped a robbery and ended up killing the parents of the boy who would become Wrath
    fc2931ccf76478eb9893b3a05d5e75ca._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Batman #1 Special
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-07-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Bruce and the kids share the memory of Alfred in Noonan's Bar, Batman Pennyworth RIP #1

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzMvNDY0L29yaWdpbmFsL1Blbm55d29ydGhfOF9jb2xv.jpg
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-15-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Batman fighting in World War II (Batman #15, February 1943). Art by Jack Burnley.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 02-24-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Is there a list of every single-origin and childhood stories he has?
    No, wait, that would be murder.
    Is there a list of the significant changes in his origin and childhood stories?
    Like for example, we can skip the whole Joe Chill Crime Alley thing since that's always the same.
    What's the difference between those origins?
    Childhood friends - Oswald Cobblepot (Telltale) - Rachel Dawes (Begins) - Harvey Dent (All-Star) - Golden Dawn (Finch) - Julie Madison (Zero Year) - Clark Kent (New 52 Earth-2) - Zatanna and Tommy Elliot are pretty consistently his childhood friends
    The Theater - Monarch (Zorro) - a stage play (Begins)
    Education - Harvard (Pre Crisis) - Gotham Academy middle school (expelled, DC You)
    Age of Crime Alley - 8 (the most often) - 10 - 12
    Age of Departure - 13 (Year One) - 18 (Zero Year)
    Age of Return - 25 (Year One, Zero Year)
    The First Comforter - Leslie Thompkins (Pre Crisis) - Lieutenant Gordon (Begins, Gotham, Zero Year)
    The First Ally - Dick Grayson (Golden Age) - Alfred Pennyworth (Post Crisis)
    Gordon wasn't an ally in the Golden Age, but the source of info. He's still trying to capture Batman early on.
    The Memento Mori - Martha's Pearls (Miller onward) - Theater tickets (Telltale)
    The Oath - A catholic prayer in bed (Golden Age) - in front of the parents grave (later Golden Age onward) - in front of the bathroom mirror slitting his wrist (I am Bane)
    Post Crime Alley Parental Figure - Alfred (Post Crisis onward)
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-21-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Really enjoying the latest Batman story arche with Deathstroke and the Joker, can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    Really enjoying the latest Batman story arche with Deathstroke and the Joker, can't wait to see how it all plays out.
    It has been pretty good (thus far).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Like for example, we can skip the whole Joe Chill Crime Alley thing since that's always the same.
    The alley is always the same. Joe Chill, though, not so much. There was a whole period, most significantly with Batman: Officer Down and Batman/Superman where the person who killed Bruce's parents was a mystery.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    The alley is always the same. Joe Chill, though, not so much. There was a whole period, most significantly with Batman: Officer Down and Batman/Superman where the person who killed Bruce's parents was a mystery.
    Not to mention the Burton movies where it was Jack Napier/Joker.

I think it was only after...Infinite Crisis? That they re-established that it was Joe Chill.

Fantastic Member

I think we'll start seeing trailers for the new batman movie this year
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

Oh and in Pre Crisis Joe Chill was hired by Lew Moxon, in others, he operates alone. Sometimes he's a desperate mugger (New 52 TDK #0 and Batman Begins), sometimes a maniac who enjoys killing (Darkseid War Batman God of Knowledge).

Astonishing Member

Is there a list of every single-origin and childhood stories he has?
    No, wait, that would be murder.
    Is there a list of the significant changes in his origin and childhood stories?
    What's the difference between those origins?
    Childhood friends - Oswald Cobblepot (Telltale) - Rachel Dawes (Begins) - Harvey Dent (All-Star) - Golden Dawn (Finch) - Julie Madison (Zero Year) - Clark Kent (New 52 Earth-2) - Zatanna and Tommy Elliot are pretty consistently his childhood friends
    The Theater - Monarch (Zorro) - a stage play (Begins)
    Education - Harvard (Pre Crisis) - Gotham Academy middle school (expelled, DC You)
    Age of Crime Alley - 8 (the most often) - 10 - 12
    Age of Departure - 13 (Year One) - 18 (Zero Year)
    Age of Return - 25 (Year One, Zero Year)
    The First Comforter - Leslie Thompkins (Pre Crisis) - Lieutenant Gordon (Begins, Gotham, Zero Year)
    The First Ally - Dick Grayson (Golden Age) - Alfred Pennyworth (Post Crisis)
    Gordon wasn't an ally in the Golden Age, but the source of info. He's still trying to capture Batman early on.
    The Memento Mori - Martha's Pearls (Miller onward) - Theater tickets (Telltale)
    The Oath - A catholic prayer in bed (Golden Age) - in front of the parents grave (later Golden Age onward) - in front of the bathroom mirror slitting his wrist (I am Bane)
    Post Crime Alley Parental Figure - Alfred (Post Crisis onward)
    I remember in the excellent story Batman:Gothic, Bruce's parents go to theater watch Zorro to celebrate his return from boarding school, because he was spanked by Mr. Winchester (who was actually Mr. Whisper).